We need these back

Make them electric this time

The Scammel Scarab Mechanical Horse - 1950s Road Transport - 1957 Factory Promotional Film
youtube.com/watch?v=hWM4izsb8LE

3-wheeled artic from the 1930s

Its cool but its a small trailer so its gonna be nimble.
I can spin an 8m trailer around on most high streets no issue. 8m trailers can go just about anywhere D:

Proper drivers back then. :laughing: Judging by the struggle some make with a tri axle I hate to think of them with a single axle and no power steering. :laughing:

ETS:

The Scammel Scarab Mechanical Horse - 1950s Road Transport - 1957 Factory Promotional Film

Aahh I bet you hate technology.

Do you still get up and press the button on your old black and white telly, use the manual window winder, refuse to use a mobile phone.

You are a little troll bored in his cab looking to stir up a bit of nonsense

Sone of the older guys I knew when I first started passed their tests in one of those.
A bit easier than negotiating a 44 tonne 6 axle outfit through a test route I reckon.

when i was at National Carriers,there were driver’s who had driven the Scarab’s at our depot back in the day.the 5 and 6 tonne plated Ford ‘D’ series artics that i drove presumably replaced them? (ROG will know). iirc there was a Scarab working at Grantham back in the late '70’s,on Railway duties…and a restored example is at the Great Central Railway :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:
when i was at National Carriers,there were driver’s who had driven the Scarab’s at our depot back in the day.the 5 and 6 tonne plated Ford ‘D’ series artics that i drove presumably replaced them? (ROG will know). iirc there was a Scarab working at Grantham back in the late '70’s,on Railway duties…and a restored example is at the Great Central Railway :slight_smile:

Yeh,.I also drove for National Carriers,.and I had a go on those lightweight artics (TKs at our depot) where you backed under the short arsed trailer with a single axle, with the 4wheels going right across the back of the trailer.(can’t recall the name of them) and the landing legs came up automatically as you coupled.
Also the dreaded 40’ single axle (right on the arse end) tautliners.
Then they sent me tramping in a day cab Sed Atk…still a bloody good firm to work for all the same., had some good days there.

robroy:

carryfast-yeti:

Yeh,.I also drove for National Carriers,.and I had a go on those lightweight artics (TKs at our depot) where you backed under the short arsed trailer with a single axle, with the 4wheels going right across the back of the trailer.(can’t recall the name of them) and the landing legs came up automatically as you coupled.
Also the dreaded 40’ single axle (right on the arse end) tautliners.
Then they sent me tramping in a day cab Sed Atk…still a bloody good firm to work for all the same., had some good days there.

Scammell Coupling it was on those short trailers,robroy.
we had a couple of Atkinson Borderers at Leicester depot,they had allocated driver’s,so sadly didn’t get to take one out.they did let me loose on an Albion,a Chieftain i think,…that was a beast! :laughing:

Albion Chieftan?
Christ that’s even before my time, in fact my Dad used to drive a one.
He had 2 Albions, one was a ‘streamline’ cab 6 wheeler, the other had a wooden cab. :open_mouth: which was an OLD motor when he had it in the 60s.

robroy:
Albion Chieftan?
Christ that’s even before my time, in fact my Dad used to drive a one.
He had 2 Albions, one was a ‘streamline’ cab 6 wheeler, the other had a wooden cab. :open_mouth: which was an OLD motor when he had it in the 60s.

the one we had at NCL was a white ‘J’ reg unit,so 8 years old in '79…i think it was the ‘punishment motor’ :laughing:

Until 2006 Young’s Ram Brewery in Wandsworth still used Shire horses and drays for their local deliverues.

robroy:
Sone of the older guys I knew when I first started passed their tests in one of those.
A bit easier than negotiating a 44 tonne 6 axle outfit through a test route I reckon.

Are you sure? HGV tests didn’t start till 67 and if I’m not mistaken they were class 4 and not class 1. :wink:

jakethesnake:

robroy:

Are you sure? HGV tests didn’t start till 67 and if I’m not mistaken they were class 4 and not class 1. :wink:

Well no I ain’t ‘‘sure’’ as such, I’m just going by what they told me.

Think if was more like 69 the HGV licence thing, because my Dad finished in 67,.then re.started 69/70 when afaik he had to apply through ‘Grandfather rights’ to start driving a truck again.
It was ■■■■ years ago,.who knows…or cares. :smiley:

No legs to wind up/down no greasy turntable with the old Scammell coupling,commonly used by the railway. The couplings where also fitted to some of the early Commers.
Robroy the trailer you mentioned is the 4 inline,if the outside tyre blew it tipped or nearly tipped over.

lolipop:
No legs to wind up/down no greasy turntable with the old Scammell coupling,commonly used by the railway. The couplings where also fitted to some of the early Commers.
Robroy the trailer you mentioned is the 4 inline,if the outside tyre blew it tipped or nearly tipped over.

I always remember being sat at lights with my little TK, and short arsed trailer, sat muffled up.in a coat and woolly hat as the heater was crap, hunched up at the steering wheel.
A big blinged up fancy Ford Transcontinental (the dogs in those days) pulled along side me, driver wearing a t.shirt in his warm cab…, I looked up at the passenger side to see his girlfriend killing herself laughing at me :blush: …street cred right out of the window. :laughing:

I remember the Scammell Scarabs running around when I was a kid. The cabs always had dented rear corners where they had turned too sharply and hit the trailer.

robroy:
A big blinged up fancy Ford Transcontinental (the dogs in those days)

Possibly me…

I did have one for while. A strange beast with it’s return earth wiring and based on a Berliet/Renault cab.

You’re right, the heater was toasty though. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:

robroy:
A big blinged up fancy Ford Transcontinental (the dogs in those days)

Possibly me…

I did have one for while. A strange beast with it’s return earth wiring and based on a Berliet/Renault cab.

You’re right, the heater was toasty though. :smiley:

I remember the first time driving one, felt like I was sat in front seat of bus on top deck. :smiley:

ETS:

Some were electric. Westminster Council had them for dustcarts and street sweepers so as to not disturb the nobs early in the morning.
Bernard