We`ll be there soon

Evening all, thought i`d share my news with you all. As some of you may know, I was asking questions earlier on this year regarding a position at Loblaws as I had a friend who started for them in June. Well on sunday I was offered and accepted a position with the company too and will hopefully be out there sometime around March once my work permit has been processed.

Ill put my tin hat on now for all the haters and doubters who will be queueing up to find fault but as ive said i`m not going into this blind as I have a reliable source of information already there.

Ready, Aim, Fire LOL :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry mate but you’ve drawn the wrong conclusion here .The so called knockers and haters were the likes of myself NMM and a few other drivers already firmly based over here . D Howard seemed to think that Loblaws was the cream of Canadian trucking jobs and he would soon have millionaire status ,we tried to enlighten him but were greeted with comments like "you’re not real truckers " and “you don’t live there” , yeah ok :unamused:
Best of luck with your move, as I’ve always said about the Loblaws work, it does what it says on the tin , trolley dolly work that pays average but giving you a chance for PR without doing longhaul . Remember to apply for your Provincial nomination on the dot after 6 months rather than leaving that to your employer .
We’ll make sure we save some snow for you :laughing:

Best of luck with it all.

Cheers FTTM, its nice to see a bit of positivity on here for a change :laughing: and thanks kr79 too

Best of luck mate, but IF it turns out to be BS, please come back on here and let people know, but either way, keep people informed.

Good luck to you, I hope it turns out ok.

You should be ok if you keep your head down and get on with the job, pretty easy going in Canada…
Regina’s a nice little town as I recall… I seem to rememeber hanging out at this place: bushwakker.com (decent pub but don’t walk in there with a Winnipeg jersey on!!).

Duck:
You should be ok if you keep your head down and get on with the job, pretty easy going in Canada…
Regina’s a nice little town as I recall… I seem to rememeber hanging out at this place: bushwakker.com (decent pub but don’t walk in there with a Winnipeg jersey on!!).

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: You won’t do that again in a hurry , good job it was the Bushwakker and not the Jolly Roger ,second thoughts you could even get shot in the Jolly wearing a Rider shirt :laughing:

Nice one, I hope it works out for you, good luck & all that.

russjp:
Cheers FTTM, its nice to see a bit of positivity on here for a change :laughing: and thanks kr79 too

Not a problem ,we have loads of the stuff as of the last few days :laughing:

flat to the mat:

russjp:

Not a problem ,we have loads of the stuff as of the last few days :laughing:

Yeah my mate just rented a house with a long driveway and clearing snow from it has become a major workout for him lol :laughing: :laughing:

mickfly:
Best of luck mate, but IF it turns out to be BS, please come back on here and let people know, but either way, keep people informed.

Will do mate, but as i previously stated on here i know people already working there so I have a pretty good amount of information already but that doesn`t mean i wont be on here begging for more :slight_smile:

It’s all gone a bit quiet on the other forum, first of all, as FTTM said, you had Dusty Bin and his mate from Manchester telling everyone they were on ten grand a month, but since they’ve actually got out here and started they haven’t mentioned the dollar at all :unamused:

Congratulations on the job offer and good luck, you know where we all are if you need advice. You have your mate out there already, but he’s fairly new, so maybe an idea to speak with Mr Mat to confirm or deny any advice you get from the other recent settlers, he’s been out there for a while now and knows the area well, from my experiences I can say that is the best way, as everything is new, it’s very easy to make mistakes on the most basic things when you first get here :wink:

flat to the mat:

Duck:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: You won’t do that again in a hurry , good job it was the Bushwakker and not the Jolly Roger ,second thoughts you could even get shot in the Jolly wearing a Rider shirt :laughing:

Ahhh yes… The Jolly Roger Bar in Regina… Reminded me of the now deceased Scots Grey in Bulwell, Notts…

If you Google that place it comes up with “Tough Customers” but look a little closer and it also cites “Ugly Women” as being one of the attractions!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

No wonder Andy Fantuz went back to Hamilton!! :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:
It’s all gone a bit quiet on the other forum, first of all, as FTTM said, you had Dusty Bin and his mate from Manchester telling everyone they were on ten grand a month, but since they’ve actually got out here and started they haven’t mentioned the dollar at all :unamused:

Congratulations on the job offer and good luck, you know where we all are if you need advice. You have your mate out there already, but he’s fairly new, so maybe an idea to speak with Mr Mat to confirm or deny any advice you get from the other recent settlers, he’s been out there for a while now and knows the area well, from my experiences I can say that is the best way, as everything is new, it’s very easy to make mistakes on the most basic things when you first get here :wink:

Thanks NMM, I would always ask a seasoned local for their opinions anyway as new settlers can be slightly blinkered sometimes when it comes to reality :laughing:

So to take the thread off at a bit of a tangent, a question for anyone already out there - if you could only give 1 piece of advice to someone coming out there, what would it be (apart from - dont !! :laughing: ).

You get more for your money here, so it’s very easy to get carried away, you think you’re getting such a good deal, you buy stuff you don’t really need, just because you can, so set a budget and stick to it religiously :wink:

Regina, on Thursday 22nd November 2012, had the worst driving conditions that I’ve experienced in 7 Canadian winters. An inch of freezing rain covered by 4 inches of snow. If the Brits at Loblaws handled that OK then they can handle anything Canada can throw at them.

This guy was heading home and had about 30 miles to go at 15 mph; so it was probably worth plodding on. But it got worse nearer Regina.

All the best to Russjp in Sk.

…Be your own man ,just because billy bob does his logs/ insert what ya want :open_mouth: … always remember until you are a citizen you can be deported!
jimmy.

russjp:

newmercman:

Thanks NMM, I would always ask a seasoned local for their opinions anyway as new settlers can be slightly blinkered sometimes when it comes to reality :laughing:

So to take the thread off at a bit of a tangent, a question for anyone already out there - if you could only give 1 piece of advice to someone coming out there, what would it be (apart from - dont !! :laughing: ).

You’ll be spending dollars and earning dollars, so don’t keep converting the purchase price back into pounds and thinking things are cheap . As NMM rightly said don’t go spending more than you need , atleast until you have a regular income which you can budget on .
Maybe not so much nowadays ,but back along guys were arriving and signing the finance for the big house/truck / SUV’s/Quads etc etc and getting into all sorts of bother when the promised wages didn’t match the lifestyle :unamused: . One step at time mate ,the toys will still be available next year :smiley:

Best of luck to ya, hope it all works out :smiley:

The best advice I was given was to look at getting your monthly out goings to around the $1200 dollar mark when I was starting out at BFS, so glad I listened :smiley: