We Got a Mention!

Maria Eagle MP,Shadow transport Secretary has just made a speech at the Damian Mc Bride Conference taking place in Brighton.Maria’s speech mentioned Railways and Cycling,
she did mention getting freight off the road and onto rail,yes that old chestnut keeps getting dragged out,freight onto a network that can’t even deliver competently freight
that walks on and off by itself.And cycling, Maria seemed to give the impression that the road network should be given over to cyclists 'cause it’s a healthy option and HGV’s
will have extra safety measures introduced to save cyclists, no doubt a large rubber ring around all commercial vehicles.Not so much of a mention of our lousy road network
except for the proposed £28 billion supposedly going to be spent on roads by the other lot.So you as a member of the Road Haulage industry have not missed anything by working
instead of listening to the dross that comes out at these events.

It would be better if they could actually explain how this freight is to get to and from rail depots instead of saying put more freight on rails.
As for cyclists well how about compulsory training to start with especially awareness around goods vehicles.
They come out with some crap these politicians.

The biggest thing that would save Cyclists lives is for them all to be taxed to be on the road like the rest of us, and have to wear registration-numbered hi viz so when one causes an accident or runs a red light (as they do) they get the same fines and points on any licences as the rest of us do. :bulb:

The vast majority of cyclists actually hold full driving licences after all - cycling is a lifestyle choice, and should be treated as thus. :wink:

Ah the old tax the cyclists guff. It always surprises me that some people that are sensible enough to pass a test to drive heavy goods have no idea how vehicle tax works these days. It’s based on emissions, bikes, like many cars these days don’t have them so, no tax.
Why do you think wearing hi viz would stop them getting killed, or stop them running reds? Let’s face it, it’s not as if having a tax disc, registration plates & testing stops drivers causing accidents is it?

Comrades it gets worse, a speech by Ed Miliband lasting an eternity and not one word about lorry parking but those from ooop North should be overjoyed he classes you
all as Heroes.Like listening to a young lad in an RDC telling how we should do the job and all be millionaires.Fantasy!!!

He probably classes up north as being outside the M25.
Why would any of them do anything for truckers? We are seen as a cash cow on one hand and as expendable by the other. The next election isn’t happening for ages yet they’ve started putting out all their bullshine already. They are just professional liars & conmen.

How do you know when a politician is lying? His/Her lips are moving

Personally I think rail freight looks a bit too industrial. The best thing to do would be to put everything back on the canals so that we can load narrow boats with 25 tons and it take them 2 weeks to get from one end of the country to the other. That way motorways will just be for cars, rail lines can be torn up and made in to cycle paths and civilisation as we know it will vanish as 50% of our population die in a famine because a blatant blind eye was turned to the fact that our modern style of urban living requires the exact mass transportation that we currently have.

The taxing of cyclists is an interesting proposition. I think they should have a tax disc, just as sub-100g cars who have a £0 charge. I think it would contribute to a psychological shift from other road users. I do think as a minimum that the cyclist should display some sort of recognisable individual identification, such as the registration number for a vehicle. I don’t think cyclist should be charged a fee for any such measure.

“Here ya go son, Merry Christmas”
“Thanks dad, my first BMX”
“you’re welcome lad”
“I’m going over to Tims to show him my new bike”
“erm… Sorry son, post office is shut until after the new year and it’s not taxed yet”
“dad, you’re a [zb]”

I’m sorry but I cannot see many people wanting to pay extra vehicle tax just so cyclists can have a nice badge. I can only imagine what kind of " psychological shift" that would bring to other road users. It’s bad enough that vehicles exempt from vehicle tax need a disc, effectively taking money out of the pot and putting nothing in, yes I know cyclists put nothing in for bikes but they do no road damage either.

Armagedon:
she did mention getting freight off the road and onto rail,yes that old chestnut keeps getting dragged out,freight onto a network that can’t even deliver competently freight

Makes me want to weep, the other week on 5live they were talking about HS2, and some bloke came on the radio and said that the HS2 project should be turned over to Rail Freight thus freeing up the Motorway network for the more inportant cars. on that basis all industry /supermarkets well everything would have to be based beside the a rail line, just aswell all the roads will be free of trucks, because when we all need to use our empty road network to get to the rail line it’l be blocked by cars :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

eddie snax:

Armagedon:

Makes me want to weep, the other week on 5live they were talking about HS2, and some bloke came on the radio and said that the HS2 project should be turned over to Rail Freight thus freeing up the Motorway network for the more inportant cars. on that basis all industry /supermarkets well everything would have to be based beside the a rail line, just aswell all the roads will be free of trucks, because when we all need to use our empty road network to get to the rail line it’l be blocked by cars :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The boss of Network Rail has just been made the boss of HS2, surely a new face would do better, not someone who can only issue apologies for its current failures and failings. As long as he gets a big payoff and pension, than that is OK.