We got a mention on radio 2(truckers that is?)

Hi all ,
anyone listen to the lunchtime show yesterday ?
A disscussion about truckers getting flack for leaving rubbish and other stuff in lay-bys & ind est.
I was trying like mad to get through to get my 10 penth in but couldn’t get through.
We were getting the blame for leaving rubbish & brown stuff in plastic bags when we leave in the mornings from lay-by’s & estates.
All I wanted to say was 20 yrs ago when I started this game there were less trucks on the road but more cafes,t ruckstops, & town centres to park up in.

A rep from the F.T.A. was saying they know there is a problem but government aren’t interested, it’s up to the private sector to provide places.
If I had the cash or won some money I would try to open a truck stop near me on the M65 corridoor, theres nothing up here.

A bussiness man tried to get one near Nelson about 5 yrs ago on spare land just off the junction but didn’t even get off the ground because of residents complaining about the noise.

DAF.

yes we did get a mention. i think the police patrol man ian i think his name was should get a pat on the back from us all he took the trouble the phone radion 2 and tell them of our difficulties regarding hours rules and the lack of laybys and toilets, well done officer

Heard most of it,and it was nice to see Sally fighting our corner as well.

Ken.

We all know there are nowhere near enough facilities but, there can surely be no excuse for leaving rubbish of any description behind us.

how many laybys have bins and if they do there not always emptied.surely this would solve the problem :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

dreva:
how many laybys have bins and if they do there not always emptied.surely this would solve the problem :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don’t think it would make any difference. How many times do you see carrier bags full of rubbish piled next to a full bin? What’s wrong with taking the rubbish with you if the bin is full?

It would be nice if the bins were emptied regularly and there were more facilitlies for us, but I don’t think anything is going to change for the better in my lifetime. Some would call that pessimism, but I call it realism.

i liked the commentators comments that those of us that parked in laybys and on industral estates did so to pocket the overnight money . your ■■■■ right i do the last night out job i had last year i was paid £7 an hour for the first 60 hours and paid £18.00 a night night out money .as i usually cleared £460 after tax take away the £90.00 overnight money
£370 pound in the bank for a wage for 5 nights away kipping in laybys (if you could find one) 70 hours a week work . yeah i really coined it in :laughing:
as for the rubbish issue i always bagged and binned any rubbish
but maybe the guys that just throw it out the window are doing us a favour :question:
a bit more media coverage might shame the goverment into actually doing something . (just like the fuel protests )
saw a sign for £1.18 a litre this week :open_mouth:

Hi again ,
I have e-mailed my M.P. about the matter. I mentioned the listen again feature on radio 2. I found his e-mail address on the net under his name.
Maybe if we all did that then they might get something done? They don’t like to be pestered, Theres an election coming up in next few years.

What’s the saying if you don’t ask you don’t get!

So come on get surfing & give em some hell !!!

all the best,

Daf.

I interperate the night out allowance as small compensation for not being at home with your family and sleeping in your own bed.

Well done to Rad 2 for publicising the probs that us pro drivers experience in the 21st century.

Mr.Shep:
I interperate the night out allowance as small compensation for not being at home with your family and sleeping in your own bed.

The actual reason for tax-free night out money is that it compensates you for the increased cost of being away from home- meals at restaurant prices, telephone calls etc.

I certainly don’t pay for parking out of mine. Where possible I park for free- all of the best spots are free, near to a pub and chippy and come from personal experience- but if I have to pay, I can only say, in my best Dutch accent…

I have the very special car. The Chef, he pays the parking.

The bit about pocketing parking money made me lol , we only get paid parking upon receipt and i also disagree with the price/condition of most truck stops and have been using laybys with my new motor since i got it beggining of March no probs (carefully selected laybys). Last night i got stuck in roadworks bottom of M1 and was forced to use J9 Truckstop only to wake up to my first cut in curtains :imp:

Also of course some truck drivers are going to abuse laybys as do some car van drivers etc

The only thing I have seen removed from Laybys is refuse bins .

paul@midway:
The only thing I have seen removed from Laybys is refuse bins .

Me too… I was at an industrial estate just today where I used to put my carrier bag of rubbish into a waste-paper bin but they had all gone.

obi-wan:
We all know there are nowhere near enough facilities but, there can surely be no excuse for leaving rubbish of any description behind us.

Last week I was out 5 nights, and kept my rubbish (empty tins etc) in a bin bag. By Friday the cab smelt like a dustbin, how can that be healthy? Would I be expected to live in an office chair for 5 days/nights with rubbish no more than 5 foot away? of course not. But hey, I’m just a trucker that congests the road system in the daytime and disapears (somewhere) at night time. There’s no excuse for not providing a basic facility like a wheelie bin on a layby, is there? Forget toilet facilities, we all crap in bin bags so dont need em :angry: I use truckstops whenever I can but they’re few and far between.

Tiger.

Fastrantiger:

obi-wan:

Last week I was out 5 nights, and kept my rubbish (empty tins etc) in a bin bag. By Friday the cab smelt like a dustbin, how can that be healthy?

Every single MSA or service station has bins in them. Drive in, deposit bin bag, drive out, job done. I’ve even got rid of the rubbish bag at customers premises before now, if you ask they usually say yes.

Made me laugh when the woman called and said we parked in laybys to pocket our parking money, insinuating we were greedy ■■■■■■■■■ My parking is in addition to my overnight money on production of receipt. As Harry said, the overnight money is for the additional cost of being away from home.

Coffeeholic:

Fastrantiger:

obi-wan:

Last week I was out 5 nights, and kept my rubbish (empty tins etc) in a bin bag. By Friday the cab smelt like a dustbin, how can that be healthy?

Every single MSA or service station has bins in them. Drive in, deposit bin bag, drive out, job done. I’ve even got rid of the rubbish bag at customers premises before now, if you ask they usually say yes.

Gotta agree, Neil. They only smell if you don’t change them…Just like undercrackers. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

The bottom line is, as far as anyone other than a driver is concerned, we are a group of neanderthol truckers that don’t deserve to be part of society. Yes i urinate in lay by’s, the law says we are able to use our nearside wheel. Where ever possible i use a hedge row. As for my litter, well it’s not difficult. I have a small plastic box down the side of my seat that i use whilst i’m driving and when i stop 4 fuel i empty it in the fuel station bins, failing that i empty the box every evening into a carrier bag and then the tied bag rides on the passenger side top step until i refuel. I take a lot of pride in my trucks appearance and it pays off most of the time. I never litter and if i have to i will pick up someone elses litter if it would keep the peace and save me losing a preffered ■■■■■■■■■■■■. We have for too long been looked down upon.

Hi all, I always park in laybys im comfortable with and where possible i park at customers premises with their permission.Regarding the discussion on R2, i laughed when i heard the comment about pocketing allowances, i get £30 a night and any parking has to come out of that , In my situation its the only way to make any extra on my wages as the gaffer doesnt pay overtime and it all goes in the household pot :angry: So im lucky if ive got much spare cash on me anyway :cry: :cry: Still, the works easy so i can`t complain
cheers…
roy…

MR VAIN:
Yes i urinate in lay by’s, the law says we are able to use our nearside wheel.

I understand that law was repealed years ago, however it was only ever mean`t for hackney carrage drivers, who where unable to leave their horse and cart unatended on the highway