We can learn from this . .

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … tbed-truck

You’ve got to be some kind of idiot to use a hiab when lifting past the sides of the body with the leg just down, he’s got plenty of room to put out, no excuse.

It’s why my current HIAB is fitted with sensors to detect whether or not the legs are out & down.

No leg = no lift or swing out on that side of the body.

The real fault here is with the lorry or whoever specced the lorry without thought of available safety devices.

I’m not excusing the driver/operator of blame, it’s just that we have to think on behalf of the stupid . . . & we’ve ALL done something stupid in our past.

Chas:
It’s why my current HIAB is fitted with sensors to detect whether or not the legs are out & down.

The real fault here is with the lorry or whoever specced the lorry without thought of available safety devices.

I’m not excusing the driver/operator of blame, it’s just that we have to think on behalf of the stupid . . . & we’ve ALL done something stupid in our past.

Only newer cranes have sensors that stop you swinging the crane out to far with the leg not out and down and to be fair there a pain in the arse, but ideal for idiots like the above mentioned.

Saaamon:

Chas:

Only newer cranes have sensors that stop you swinging the crane out to far with the leg not out and down and to be fair there a pain in the arse, but ideal for idiots like the above mentioned.

Agree. I wouldnt get alot done if i had to extend front and rear legs right the way out each time i use it as sometimes there just isnt the room. The crane i use will lift nigh-on 4 ton at 7.8 metres but im not gona do that with the legs ‘just down’, you need to use some grey matter and common sense. Looks like the guy above didn’t have to much of either.

Saaamon:

Newer than my current 04?

That truck looks fairly new to me.

I remember when I was 8 or 9 (& that was awhile ago), I remember pointing to a truck driving thru my village with a leg extended !

I remember my mum panicked & I remember it was probably all that commotion at the side of the road that caught the drivers eye !

The driver/operator has suffered a momentary lapse of reason, he’s made a mistake, ■■■■■■ up bigtime. But why wasn’t that truck fitted with cheap & easy to fit safety devices?

One word = £cost.

I have an 08 reg vehicle, and the only sensor is for overheight and fitted to the main mast. No sensors on outriggers or legs themselves.

Having said that, our new vehicles are arriving with sensors all over, no bad thing I suppose. Excuse me for banging that familiar drum, but we did have an EE agency chap on my vehicle when I was on holiday. According to a customer he turned up and tried to do a lift of 1½ tons with no legs out and down until it lurched heavily to one side. Having thought better of it, he tokenly put the outrigger out just two feet out of its nigh on six foot stretch :unamused:

The more sensors the better in my eyes, and yes I have made mistakes myself…but hope i have learned from them!

It takes time to learn what you can get away with when using a crane and untill you’ve gained a comfortable level of experience you need to just do it by the book, there not toys and you can so easily kill someone with a crane.

Chas:

Saaamon:

Newer than my current 04?

That truck looks fairly new to me.

I remember when I was 8 or 9 (& that was awhile ago), I remember pointing to a truck driving thru my village with a leg extended !

I remember my mum panicked & I remember it was probably all that commotion at the side of the road that caught the drivers eye !

The driver/operator has suffered a momentary lapse of reason, he’s made a mistake, [zb] up bigtime. But why wasn’t that truck fitted with cheap & easy to fit safety devices?

One word = £cost.

I’d say that was usual, when i was on cranes an 04 plate would probably let you open the brick grab mid air, but then again i worked for a company that was so oldskool a 04 lorry would probably still run on coal.

Saaamon:
It takes time to learn what you can get away with when using a crane and untill you’ve gained a comfortable level of experience you need to just do it by the book,

With all due respect you need to do it by the book all of the time, You cannot do lifts to ‘what you can get away with’ because one day you wont, and that will be the day it ends up lying on top of you, or worse, someone else.

Twoninety88:

Saaamon:
It takes time to learn what you can get away with when using a crane and untill you’ve gained a comfortable level of experience you need to just do it by the book,

With all due respect you need to do it by the book all of the time, You cannot do lifts to ‘what you can get away with’ because one day you wont, and that will be the day it ends up lying on top of you, or worse, someone else.

Oh agree, please dont take my post the wrong way, i did builders merchant work so quite abit different to big cranes.

We all can make mistakes, we can all get distracted, any one of us is prone to sporadic forgetfullness & no one, bar no one, is 100% perfect.

Why can I slew a HIAB out on a side that doesn’t have the leg down, & why can I open a brick grab when the load is still 15’ off the ground?

The answer is £price.

Saaamon:
Oh agree, please dont take my post the wrong way, i did builders merchant work so quite abit different to big cranes.

I work for a builders merchant now saaamon, and apply the same ethics to what we call Hiab type loader cranes. The law of Physics apply to all types of crane regardless of size or use.
I do understand the point you make about experience and familiarity, but the crane must be used within the safety envelope it is designed for. As you know, when that envelope is pushed, the risk to life and property increases dramatically. Those of us who are used to equipment like this understand, the newcomer to the game may not have had the training and instruction we have undertaken.
:slight_smile: