Waving at your work mate

OVLOV JAY:
A quick wave back is just a bit of common courtesy. Whether you do it depends on how you were brought up :wink:

correct answer :grimacing: Iā€™ve been in Appleton and said " good morning squire " to an older gentleman who was looking abit lost in the depot! :laughing: walked straight past me and didnā€™t bat an eyelid! :unamused: :imp: :smiling_imp: said to my mate walking with me " miserable COCKNEY barsteward " you can sniff 'em! :grimacing: :grimacing: Anything south of knutsford
:laughing: :smiley: :sunglasses: itā€™s a northern thing! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Why not give a wave , would you be ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off if a driver from the same firm drove past in your hour of need? i would ,

truckeygar:
Why not give a wave , would you be ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off if a driver from the same firm drove past in your hour of need? i would ,

Bar a couple of people, iā€™d just get the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  sign before watching them disappear into the distance.

OnlyAlan:
If you passed the same driver in the yard would you speak to him/her: ā€œGood morningā€, ā€œalright mateā€, or whatever, even though didnā€™t know him/her?

And if you did, would you be offended if he/she didnā€™t reply?

So whatā€™s the difference?

A wave is like a smile or a greeting, the giver and the receiver both benefit and it costs nothing. It would be a sad, lonely old world if we were only friendly with the people we know.

Thereā€™s my haā€™peth.

+1

OnlyAlan:
If you passed the same driver in the yard would you speak to him/her: ā€œGood morningā€, ā€œalright mateā€,

No!

i wdnt give one of our drivers a nod in the desertā€¦

I do it, but then again i dont know the drivers but on my run i see them daily and could pretty much pin point where im goin to pass them all

I give a toot & wave to random pedestrians , they usually wave back looking confused.

I think itā€™s better to do like we did as kids, stand at the side of the road, wait for a car or lorry to come past. Step smartly back from the curb and point franticly at the back wheel.
Itā€™s surprising how many stopped to check, didnā€™t usually hang around then to see if we got a friendly wave or a clip around the ear.

Iā€™m not sure whether once Iā€™ve loaded a lorry, is it more polite to toot the horn or catch the driversā€™ eye and give the thumbs up?

OVLOV JAY:
A quick wave back is just a bit of common courtesy. Whether you do it depends on how you were brought up :wink:

Nail and head. Coming from a small village itā€™s common practice to acknowledge people as you pass. Occasionally try it while Iā€™m delivering to the police station at Carlisle. You find out whoā€™s come from a similar area and whoā€™s a city boy :laughing:

Iā€™ve been doing the same run at the same time for almost 3 years now and itā€™s got to the stage where I know the paper vans and the milk tankers, they usually get a wave too now :laughing:

Just do what most people do poke them on facebook

Peter Stainsbridge,his nick name was Jelly legs once waved at me,i carried on,he had broken down between Salamanca and Burgos,and was not too happy with me a while,he was in British International Iveco 360 Turbostar.

I give them a wave but if they donā€™t wave back Iā€™m not bothered. I especially like waving to the late run drivers who are just heading out on their runs when Iā€™m on my way back in empty. Double bonus points on the last day of the week.

Dont wave at the police,not a good idea.

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:
i like it when iā€™m driving a plain motor, i wave at everyone.
their confused faces are great. :smiley:

Its the same when you have a crash helmet on, wave at someone in the street and it is fun watching them look, wondering who was on that bike?

Old people are the best.

If your in a car beep and wave they wave back and you see them talking probably saying ā€œisnā€™t that malcolm sonā€ :slight_smile: :laughing:ā€¦

If someone on a bridge/on street talking pics often give them a little light show and a toot as I pass

OnlyAlan:
If you passed the same driver in the yard would you speak to him/her: ā€œGood morningā€, ā€œalright mateā€, or whatever, even though didnā€™t know him/her?

A wave is like a smile or a greeting, the giver and the receiver both benefit and it costs nothing. It would be a sad, lonely old world if we were only friendly with the people we know.

Thereā€™s my haā€™peth.

its a engish thing not waving. walk down most streets in ireland and most irish folks will greet u or at least make eye contact with you. its nice to be nice. its a way or showing that u r not above you country man

haribo4000:

Jack-knife:
stobart drivers make me laugh when they flash each other like they either seen um before.

Itā€™s just polite and sociable.

i agree. it cost nothing to greet each other. its about looking out for each other

What are we coming to that this is even a discussion. Politeness cost nothing and what goes round etc.

milkchurns:

OnlyAlan:

Thereā€™s my haā€™peth.

its a engish thing not waving. walk down most streets in ireland and most irish folks will greet u or at least make eye contact with you. its nice to be nice. its a way or showing that u r not above you country man

Itā€™s not an english thing, itā€™s a town thing. As I said before, youā€™ll find people still greet each other in smaller villages.