Water Tanker Jobs

Hi guys,

Seen two water tanker jobs advertised. For two water companies in my region. The salaries are almost 15k apart, which surprised me, considering they are similar jobs.

Anyone done this type of work before. Are they good to work for? Both jobs I’ve seen are Monday-Friday which is a bonus.

The one I’m interested in pays 25 k, which is lower pay than I’m on but better hours.

Where I am, sick pay isn’t great and the pension is only the bare minimum that the government told employers to pay.

I did some water tanker work on agency last year. The company I drove for delivered spring water to breweries and soft drink manufacturers. I had to load and unload, but once shown it was reasonably straight-forward. Although I did have some milk tanker experience already. It was clean work - I sometimes got a tad wet, but it’s only water. If they had offered tramping I probably would have tried to get on with them full-time.

Some water tanker jobs are the vacuum tank sewage/drainage type jobs which I imagine would be smellier and more to learn, so maybe that’s why there’s a such a disparity in the wages?

RogerOut:
Anyone done this type of work before. Are they good to work for? Both jobs I’ve seen are Monday-Friday which is a bonus.

The one I’m interested in pays 25 k, which is lower pay than I’m on but better hours.

Even for a Monday-Friday job with eight-hour days, that is pretty abysmal money.

Is this Artic or rigid? And as Grumpy says, is it water, or sewage tankers (oddly enough, the two don’t mix…).

Rigid sewage don’t pay that much. Water tankers, if for a utility company, can be good on overtime, if they do emergency/weekend work.

If you mean it is work for a Water Company (eg Northumbrian or Severn etc) be aware the hours can extremely long, and your employers may consider your driving incidental to the work when you arrive on site. I haven’t done this myself but I’ve certainly met several who have and none of them have recommended it.

the nodding donkey:
Is this Artic or rigid? And as Grumpy says, is it water, or sewage tankers (oddly enough, the two don’t mix…).

Rigid sewage don’t pay that much. Water tankers, if for a utility company, can be good on overtime, if they do emergency/weekend work.

I currently drive a rigid sewage tanker for a regional water company, and I can confirm the wages are good. My basic pay is in excess of £16 p/h with quite a few additional payments.

RogerOut:
Hi guys,

15k is a big drop in comparison, the hours u have are quite low if your toppin out at 25k yr?

claretmatt:

the nodding donkey:

I currently drive a rigid sewage tanker for a regional water company, and I can confirm the wages are good. My basic pay is in excess of £16 p/h with quite a few additional payments.

That’s interesting, where abouts is that? To be fair, my sewage tanker experience is actually over 20 years ago (where did all that time go :blush: ), but what I’ve seen advertised locally has always been paid no more than Class 2 rates. Having said that, I haven’t seen Dwr Cymru advertise for drivers very often. Other companies around here certainly don’t pay above average wages.

Further to the above answer from claretmatt, when yousay "two water companies ", are they both regional utilities (like Welsh Water, Severn Trent, etc), or smaller services companies?

the nodding donkey:

claretmatt:

the nodding donkey:

East of England.

I’m sorry, I’m reluctant to name them because they scan the Internet constantly for mentions and a lot of employees have got themselves into hot water.

That’s interesting, where abouts is that? To be fair, my sewage tanker experience is actually over 20 years ago (where did all that time go :blush: ), but what I’ve seen advertised locally has always been paid no more than Class 2 rates. Having said that, I haven’t seen Dwr Cymru advertise for drivers very often. Other companies around here certainly don’t pay above average wages.

Just noticed this job up, guess this is the dirty end of the scale.

uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=cdb3b97806534434

If you undertake any sewage related work take real precautions about your own health. You need a few pairs of water proof gloves and keep them out of the cab. Also use barrier cream or similar.