Watching films whilst driving at 60+

whilst travelling north on the m1 passing Leicester forest east at 23.40 on thursday 28.04.10 the trailer was empty,sitting on the limiter at 56, i was passed by a slovakian renault premium, pulling an Arcesse trailer, it passed with such ease he was doing more than 60, that didn’t bother me,what did though was the large screen lap top on the dash with a film playing. We’ve all seen it mainly at night. What’s the answer? Should we phone and grass them up?

scotsdragoon:
What’s the answer? Should we phone and grass them up?

I think you should. It’s for our everyones safety.

scotsdragoon:
We’ve all seen it mainly at night.

Errrrmmmmm, was it “only fools and horses?”

i wouldn’t grass him, or anyone else up no matter what he’d done.

If he was not ‘grassed up’ and then went on to kill another road user (or a family) what would be anyones thoughts on that ?

limeyphil:

scotsdragoon:

So if I steal your car and ■■■■ your wife, I am safe even if you find it out? :slight_smile:

orys:

limeyphil:

scotsdragoon:

So if I steal your car and ■■■■ your wife, I am safe even if you find it out? :slight_smile:

you might be safe from the police but you wouldnt be safe from limeyphil. You’d have an appointment with a pair of pliers and a claw hammer :laughing:

orys:

limeyphil:

scotsdragoon:

we would have a quiet little chat. :laughing:

I phoned Leicester police at and gave them details, with the additional information they needed for the report before they could allocate the report to a car, I was passing 23a the looney had been out of my sight for at least 2miles, I was now in Notts approaching Derbys so it was too late for Leicester to deal with, probally if it had been UK reg. it may have been different. I saw the aftermath of a Portugese truck wiping out a familly on the M6 there was no reason why he did not see a queue of stationary traffic on a stretch of road with good visibilty, he didn’t brake untill he was within 50yds. watching a film maybe? This though seems to be a non UK problem, it seems acceptable to watch films at night whilst driving for many foreign nationals.

I’m confused how you safely managed to take down the details of the said truck, phone the police and deal with complete strangers whilst driving. This isn’t a simple phone call to tell your wife to lube up as you’ll be home in 5 minutes, this phone call requires far more concentration trying to explain the situation and answer questions. Just because you were legal doesn’t make you any safer than the other driver, you are both as bad as each other in my opinion. One was concentrating on a dvd, one on a phone call.

maurice:
I’m confused how you safely managed to take down the details of the said truck, phone the police and deal with complete strangers whilst driving. This isn’t a simple phone call to tell your wife to lube up as you’ll be home in 5 minutes, this phone call requires far more concentration trying to explain the situation and answer questions. Just because you were legal doesn’t make you any safer than the other driver, you are both as bad as each other in my opinion. One was concentrating on a dvd, one on a phone call.

Yeah but one was trying to save lives !

brados:

maurice:

Yeah but one was trying to save lives !

Trying to save lives by actually putting more at risk, thats a new one on me. Hardly much of a defence when he rear ends a broken down truck on the hard shoulder and kills a fitter.

maurice:
I’m confused how you safely managed to take down the details of the said truck, phone the police and deal with complete strangers whilst driving.

scotsdragoon:
travelling north on the m1 passing Leicester forest east at 23.40 on thursday

I can see a safe way - if the truck overtook and a safe gap was in front with no other vehicles around then dialling 999 on hands free would be easy to do - as it would be dark then remembering the registration or the name/signage on the truck would be needed

maurice:
I’m confused how you safely managed to take down the details of the said truck, phone the police and deal with complete strangers whilst driving.

Could have been a passenger / 2nd man for all we know ? .

Some have been known to walk- talk - breathe and chew gum , all at the same time.
They do walk amongst us.

you’re legally allowed to use a hand held phone whilst calling 999.

limeyphil:

orys:

limeyphil:

scotsdragoon:

we would have a quiet little chat. :laughing:

8 mins speaking to a microphone fixed to the door pillar giving my personal details which I know of by heart because they haven’t changed in 56yrs, then very brief details of the foreign vehicle , no reg. number because I couldn’t write it down, I was driving normally looking through the windscreen and occasionally at the mirrors and not at a film on a laptop, in control of the vehicle, just like most normal drivers. It’s quite easy to speak and drive if your not holding a phone

scotsdragoon:
8 mins speaking to a microphone fixed to the door pillar … It’s quite easy to speak and drive if your not holding a phone

Split concentration is a major factor but that’s probably a subject for a new thread

scotsdragoon:
I phoned Leicester police at and gave them details, with the additional information they needed for the report before they could allocate the report to a car, I was passing 23a the looney had been out of my sight for at least 2miles, I was now in Notts approaching Derbys so it was too late for Leicester to deal with, probally if it had been UK reg. it may have been different. I saw the aftermath of a Portugese truck wiping out a familly on the M6 there was no reason why he did not see a queue of stationary traffic on a stretch of road with good visibilty, he didn’t brake untill he was within 50yds. watching a film maybe? This though seems to be a non UK problem, it seems acceptable to watch films at night whilst driving for many foreign nationals.

good for you. :sunglasses:

a friend of mines daughter was killed last year by a drunk driver, i wish someone had grassed him up when he left the pub and drove an uninsured car into another at 70 mph in a 30 limit. killing an 18 year old girl instantly.

theres to many “i dont grass on no one” people

maurice:

:open_mouth: theres always one and your it :unamused:

Split concentration is a major factor but that’s probably a subject for a new thread

In that case then it must be unsafe to hold a conversation or even be able to see or comunicate with passengers in a moving vehicle whilst driving?
Say, how are you ever going to carry out driving instructing now Roger? Lol.