Waste & recycling; Hookbin c/w Crane

Hi All.

As a bolt on service we have added on a Waste & Recycling Service to our business, " Fingers in Pies " etc because as we see it we need to diversify and this is one sector that is certainly holding its own in these bad times ( hence the need for railway sleepers /bays / extra space on olicence in my other recent posts on the forum).

Anyway ive been keeping an eye on lorrys like hookbins etc for sale but what really looks like a real handy lorry is a Hookbin c/w grab /crain. How good would that be for delivering plant ,picking up waste, leaving empty bins with our driveway construction gangs etc etc.

One thing ive noticed is that they are as rare as “Rockin orse [zb]” from 7.5 tonners right up to 32 tons!
I did ring up about a 26 ton Scania hookbin with Atlas grab it looked very rough in the pictures but it still sold for asking price straight away!

Has anybody worked /drove /owned one of these vehicles?? Advantages seem obvious but what are the drawbacks ,why are they so rare??

Anyone??

I can see them as a real handy lorry to add to any fleet ■■

Thank you all

trickyd

The unladen weight is high so the carrying capacity is not good, also they can be expensive to maintain and repair

:sunglasses: an 8 wheel hookloader with a 22yd or 35yd bin on has a tare weigh of roughly 16 ton,and the payload is again roughly the same, so bung a crane on and your looking at pay load of around 13 ton ,as you say a handy piece of kit as long as you dont want to carry much…

The problem with owning a hook loader with a crane on is that everytime you went out to collect a bin it would be overloaded due to you heavy tare weight. Customers alway want to get the maximum in a bin because of the cost.

There are quite a few demolition companies who move some of their small / medium sized bits of plant on a roll off either in the bins for the smaller stuff or use a flat rack for 14 tonners etc. The only issue here is the height as a bin floor is quite some distance from the floor compared with your average beavertail. It’s a lot of weight being placed up high too, but it’s certainly a way of moving stuff about.

Obviously if you did have an 8 wheeler roll off with a crane you’re not going to be able to move a 13t machine with it and it’s buckets etc. Realistically you’d be maxed out with a 10 tonner.

One idea that did spring to mind and I’m sure could be made to work would be to get a flat rack roll off and fit it with a crne rather the vehicle itself, now this does seem a bit odd in context but it’ not massively different to a block trailer with a crawler crane with it’s own donkey engine. Stability could prove to be an issue but you could always drop the body before unloding. If you could make this system work, you could work bulk bins at max load and still have a crane avaiable when it suits. I’d be interested to hear what you or anyone else think of this idea, I’m always dreaming up stuff like this making your average fixed role vehicle adaptable to other uses.