Waste Carriers Licence

From time to time we get called to lift a container or some other lump of big heavy stuff for a final journey to a scrap yard, it got me wondeing whether we should have a waste carriers licence for this. Or could you argue that we are transporting a container or whatever to those premises for our customer and they are free to do what they want with it when it arrives.

The procedure to get a Waste Carriers license are very easy, and cost very little, not worth the trouble.
More and more waste recycling or waste treaters want to see you Waste Carrier license before they let you on their premises.

I used to collect backloads of stillages filled with catalytic converters from a scrap metal yard in Manchester and take them to a recycling company in Barking, had done this for many months and never really thought about it being waste.
One night I pulled into Lymm and was pulled over for a VOSA check, when I told them what the load was they said I should have a waste carriers licence and called the guys from Environmental Health (They were there with them) and they also said I should have a licence. When they checked my paperwork it just said “24 stillages”, when they looked at the load and saw that the stillages were black shrink wrapped they agreed that there was no way I could know what the contents were so took no further action. However they did say that I should have a licence to carry them.
When my boss checked with the company we were transporting them for they said as we were only the intermediate carrier we did not need a licence, local environmental health officers disagreed and said we should, so we never did the job again!

only £150 for 3 years, so no reason not to have one if working in a grey area

If you carry a load that needs a waste carriers licence,you also have to issue a ‘Duty of Care,Waste Transfer Note’ to the person/company that you collect the load from.

Do paperboys and papergirls that deliver the sun or the daily mail need a waste transfer licence? Most of the stuff in them is rubbish. :slight_smile:

Thinking of the children on my laptop . Ah, wait a minute that sounds a bit wrong!

£150 for 3 years is probably not far off what we earn on this sort of stuff!

I think if it’s a complete lump (not broken down) you could probably wing it.

Just renewed mine this morning £105 for 3 years.

mucker85:
Do paperboys and papergirls that deliver the sun or the daily mail need a waste transfer licence? Most of the stuff in them is rubbish. :slight_smile:

Thinking of the children on my laptop . Ah, wait a minute that sounds a bit wrong!

FPMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I’ve got Heart FM tuned into my radio…wait my employer has WCL. :laughing:

we’ve got waste carriers licence for backhauling the recycling from the pubs to the dc.

We supplied tarmac planings to make a temporary road for a muck job; Delivered on a usual ticket, but has to be collected on a waste transfer note. The planings were tipped back onto the stockpile at our quarry, mixed with the rest and will be resold on an ordinary ticket. :unamused: