for waste as I was speaking to someone who works
for a local company to me and he said he gets £9
an hour class 2 working 5 days 8am to 5pm going
from dinnington to chesterfield. He said he does 5
days work then as 2 days off which means sometimes
he as to work saturday and sunday. They are looking for
drivers and I was just wondering how hard or easy the
job was :question: .

Do you mean multilift skips or Rollonoff as another manufacturer?

Its those big roll on/roll off boxs that
they use at tips not the skip ones

Hi convoy, ive drove a RO/RO a couple of times, there easy enough to operate with a bit of training but as far as the work goes then its pretty much the same as what I do on the 8 wheeler tippers, always chasing your tail.
They are normally 8 wheelers aswel so they have a slightly different driving style than your normal 4 wheeler rigid, eg: twin steer front axles, also when its empty they have a lot of power on tap, to not much weight so the back end can get the better of you sometimes, also they can have a high centre of gravity if its loaded upto 32 tonnes, especially if its a tall sided bin, also driving in some of these landfill sites can be an expierence on its own even more so in the winter months ( balls of brass are often needed ).
I personally wouldnt drive one again but thats only because im happy enough on the tippers and if I come off the tippers it will be because ive passed my class 1 and want a nice clean supermarket jobbie :smiley:
Also a good set of rigger boots and a good quility set of chains are a must, hope this has shed some light on it for you mate.

Cheers Wheel Nut and gav for your reply’s.
I was just curious as to what it was like as
the money seemed good for class 2 In this
area but it don’t sound like my ideal job.

I’ve seen them in operation but only ever done a job on them once and it wasn’t my bag. The main problems I found were everyone else being in the bloody way when you needed to drop your empty off and then go and pull the full one out. Of course after doing that you then need to drop off the full one and pick up the empty one again to put it in place of the full one. :confused:

People loading them well above the top was also a problem as you had to level it off as best you could. If the load wasn’t heavy with stuff like building rubble then you needed to sheet it unless it was one of those waste paper types that connect to a compressor at the back, but those can be a nightmare too, trying to get the sheet across and tie it on before it all falls out of the hole.

Once you’ve sorted that, winching them on and off the back of the wagon is a piece of cake.

Give it a whirl and see, but in all honesty I think that whoever told you it was £9/hr is spinning you a very long line … Maybe he didn’t notice that he’d got the number the wrong way up … :smiling_imp:

I use to run one out of Symphony in Leeds and tip at Mone Bros tip, with bits of chipboard. I use to have to sort the loads because we wanted clean wood to make into sawdust for alternative fuels. If there was any iron work or plastic on the load it went to the tip.

They were easy enough to operate, I used the multilift with wires most but we also had a couple of hooklifts