Washing ypur truck

Do you or would you wash “your” truck, I say this being a day driver and I usually have the one truck or is it over kill. I take pride in me job and I seem to be the only one in my fleet that does, keep in mind I wash it when Ive time never do it on me day off or as O.T.
I grew up going to truck shows and wanting a Scania 164 T cab like the way the Nordic trucks are, Am I mad or is there anyone who can relate.

Just felt a bit off when I got the odd look when I rolled back into the yard.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes I’ll wash the truck at the end of my shift. About the only exceptions would be out of hours, washer frozen solid, or the next driver wants to get cracking.

Most in our depot do as it reflects on both the company & the people they employ.

Wiretwister:
Yes I’ll wash the truck at the end of my shift. About the only exceptions would be out of hours, washer frozen solid, or the next driver wants to get cracking.

Most in our depot do as it reflects on both the company & the people they employ.

I said this this during the monthly meetings we have, like we do recycling paper so the truck does be covered in dust and general road grim as they are white, and if I pull up to a high end client or a high end building Id like to show up in a clean truck as Im the one whos the face of the company and the one who usually gets the brunt of a customers complaints. So Id like to get off on the right foot and put the customer at ease like this fella looks somewhat professional.

Id do the same as in letting another driver get on with the job but we do be back in the yard keys hung up by 6 at the latest.

I think most lorry drivers take a pride in their work, keeping your vehicle in good clean condition being a part of the job, assuming the facilities are available.

Steering wheel operatives usually do the bare minimum, can’t even be arsed to run it through the truckwash.

Nothing wrong with getting paid to keep your vehicle clean.

As I don’t drive out the yard every day ‘my’ truck is always clean ready for the next job. I clean other trucks and multiple trailers whenever there is nothing better to do in a 8hr day.

I even clean van’s before I take them to customers if im collecting their vehicle for service/repair and it’s going to be left in their car park as it’s about image.

As I have mentioned before my job involves a lot of hospitals, healthcare centres etc so they want to see a clean lorry delivering the trailers/equipment.

brianchalkyshaw:
Do you or would you wash “your” truck, I say this being a day driver and I usually have the one truck or is it over kill. I take pride in me job and I seem to be the only one in my fleet that does, keep in mind I wash it when Ive time never do it on me day off or as O.T.
I grew up going to truck shows and wanting a Scania 164 T cab like the way the Nordic trucks are, Am I mad or is there anyone who can relate.

If you’re getting paid for it why not ?
My truck is washed at least once through the week, and when I finish on a Sat night I spend an hour + to wash it, and clean and polish the interior .
Another extra hour’s pay and a clean motor for next week :sunglasses: …what’s not to like? :bulb:

Juddian:
I think most lorry drivers take a pride in their work, keeping your vehicle in good clean condition being a part of the job, assuming the facilities are available.

Steering wheel operatives usually do the bare minimum, can’t even be arsed to run it through the truckwash.

Nothing wrong with getting paid to keep your vehicle clean.

Thats what we must have in our place steering wheel operators [emoji23]

Was told a few years back “you can get anyone to drive a truck, but a real truck driver is hard to come by” and its only now I understand what that means.

robroy:

brianchalkyshaw:

If you’re getting paid for it why not ?
My truck is washed at least once through the week, and when I finish on a Sat night I spend an hour + to wash it, and clean and polish the interior .
Another extra hour’s pay and a clean motor for next week :sunglasses: …what’s not to like? :bulb:

Thats my logic aswell [emoji2369] [emoji106] but Im looked at like “its not your truck why you cleaning it”

mrginge:
As I don’t drive out the yard every day ‘my’ truck is always clean ready for the next job. I clean other trucks and multiple trailers whenever there is nothing better to do in a 8hr day.

I even clean van’s before I take them to customers if im collecting their vehicle for service/repair and it’s going to be left in their car park as it’s about image.

As I have mentioned before my job involves a lot of hospitals, healthcare centres etc so they want to see a clean lorry delivering the trailers/equipment.

Thats what Im like aswell like we usually do 12-15 drops or pickups through the day, so when I get a country run with only 5 jobs on it, I make it my job to clean it properly. Paid to clean it as you said.

mrginge:

Do you work for Stericycle by any chance ? You mentioned hospitals.

Thats what Im like aswell like we usually do 12-15 drops or pickups through the day, so when I get a country run with only 5 jobs on it, I make it my job to clean it properly. Paid to clean it as you said
The day you get the 5 jobs give me a shout, you can come and clean my company truck

When I drove for Tilcon, unless I was on monthly service when we had to wash them, I only washed my tipper roughly once a year wether it needed it or not! We did get paid an hour a week for doing it if we signed the book but I just didn’t like washing a lorry (and some lads were in the bay every day so there was bloody queue! :unamused: ) so I went home and didn’t get paid. There was more chance of Lord Lucan signing the washbook than me! However, when I later worked for a small local haulier, I washed and greased it on some Saturday mornings when I wasn’t at work anyway and didn’t get paid, most odd! I must have started taking pride in my work by then, better late than never? :confused: :laughing:

Pete.

You say that " you are the face of the company " mate. I don’t disagree with that, however if you are on really good pay & terms, by all means continue to spout corporate cack.

But if you are paid poorly, I wouldn’t personally go ’ above & beyond '. Keep the vehicle tidy & do your bit, but apart from wasting your own time & cleaning materials, keeping day trucks clean is impossible due to the plethora of unhygienic and bone idle plankton that sadly occupy them.

Always kept my trucks spotless inside and out. Mind you the extra bonus was a good incentive with one company I worked for.

brianchalkyshaw:

mrginge:

Do you work for Stericycle by any chance ? You mentioned hospitals.

Sent you a message :wink:

Wash and clean windows if you have time and still being paid BUT not in your own time

jakethesnake:
Always kept my trucks spotless inside and out. Mind you the extra bonus was a good incentive with one company I worked for.

That would be a handy bonus alright be in every Saturday for an hour or two just to get the dust out of it and to go over the alloys [emoji23][emoji23].

I was at Autobrite (detailing product supplier) today in stoke and 2 lads from mornflake pulled in to get some cleaning supplies. Both the wagons were pretty old, I’m sure the one was a 52 plater! but in really nice condition. I think a clean lorry says a lot about a company/driver.

maga:
I was at Autobrite (detailing product supplier) today in stoke and 2 lads from mornflake pulled in to get some cleaning supplies. Both the wagons were pretty old, I’m sure the one was a 52 plater! but in really nice condition. I think a clean lorry says a lot about a company/driver.

Would love to detail the truck I drive, would love it to be my wagon but its not. Wouldnt say Ive detailed it but a good clean out where the smell of smoke has been gone since I started driving it.

I clean the interior as it’s my 2nd home most of the week.
As for the exterior no. We have no jet wash etc. Company want pay for a truck wash.
1 of our drivers pays for a truck wash once a month out of his own pocket.
I won’t .
but if I’m at tebay j38 truckstop I don’t mind paying a few quid to use the jetwash. Or if im at other places with a jetwash I’ll put a couple of quid in
.but that’s as far as it goes for me