Was i correct ??

I refused a load today because of the weight .I was concerned that 2 pallets on a 7.5t box truck would put me overweight .The pallets where 1800 x900 so could only be loaded at the back doors meaning that 2000kg(checked on scales) would be right at my back door the bed is 7mtr and the pallets could not be moved to the center by a pump truck as they just bent and broke when i tried to lift them .I was assured by the warehouse supervisor that the weight would not be an issue as the total payload for that vehicle is 2250kg so i could not be overloaded ,i suggested to use our 7.5t curtain sider instead but that was not available so i had to knock the job back ,was i correct in my assessment ,would i have been overweight on the back axle ?

martyh:
the total payload for that vehicle is 2250kg

martyh:
2000kg(checked on scales) would be right at my back door

What about axle weight limits !

You were correct to refuse

ROG:

martyh:

martyh:

^^ THIS! ^^

I knocked one back a few weeks ago in similar circumstances!

tell em to stuff it!

B…

ROG:

martyh:

martyh:

Thanks ROG

I did try to explain about axle limits as i understand them ,even showed her my plate and she just kept repeating “but i was assured this vehicle can carry 2.2 t” .
The truck is very limited weight wise because it was only designed to carry 12 light pallets and has a full height taillift that folds up the back of the truck

If you had that much weight on the back door of a long 7.5t I would imagine you’d be lucky to have any weight at all on the front axle. You’d be over on the back and dangerously ‘underweight’ on the front, you would have had no grip on cornering and so on. Yes you were right to refuse it!!

Well i’m pleased i was right because i am sitting at home while the boss tries to explain my reasons for refusing the job ,the client isn’t happy apparently and yet it is the client who specs the vehicle required .I would have thought that oversize pallets would normally require a curtain sider or flat bed anyway but what do i know i’m just the driver

martyh:
Well i’m pleased i was right because i am sitting at home while the boss tries to explain my reasons for refusing the job ,the client isn’t happy apparently and yet it is the client who specs the vehicle required .I would have thought that oversize pallets would normally require a curtain sider or flat bed anyway but what do i know i’m just the driver

Is there a weighbridge near where you would have been loading?

If yes, then that could be an option BUT if deemed unsafe then it does not go anywhere not even to a weighbridge

The law allows a vehicle to go directly to and from a weighbridge but no law excuses the vehicle if unsafe

ROG:

martyh:

Is there a weighbridge near where you would have been loading?

If yes, then that could be an option BUT if deemed unsafe then it does not go anywhere not even to a weighbridge

The law allows a vehicle to go directly to and from a weighbridge but no law excuses the vehicle if unsafe

closest bridge is about 4 miles away and lets face it, generally an unsafe vehicle is only found to be unsafe when something goes wrong .I don’t have 10-20-30 yrs experience with trucks but i am old enough and wise enough to use a bit of common sense …i think :slight_smile:

Unsafe would easily be felt if its sitting up and begging with virtually no steering control !!

I don’t blame you, better to play it safe and I wouldn’t have taken the load if I was pretty certain it would put the axle overweight. It’s your licence at the end of the day if VOSA pull you in…

Why put a tonne on a pallet. Why not 4 half ton pallets. Would’ve been easier to move them about with a pallet truck then.

Mind you, I’ve seen well over a tonne on a pallet before, what kind of pallets were they ?

This is what happens when people who don’t drive arrange things. And yeah, you absolutely did the right thing.

Terry T:
Why put a tonne on a pallet. Why not 4 half ton pallets. Would’ve been easier to move them about with a pallet truck then.

Mind you, I’ve seen well over a tonne on a pallet before, what kind of pallets were they ?

This is what happens when people who don’t drive arrange things. And yeah, you absolutely did the right thing.

your correct that would have been better ,the pallets(1800x900) where loaded with printed posters ,so less product on the pallets would mean more pallets but the load would have been more manageable .I still think it should have been a curtain sider though ,box truck seems unsuitable for oversize pallets

Simple rule of thumb, if it looks moody then it probably is moody.

Why not push the first pallet forward with the second pallet with a fork truck so it sat in the middle of the box■■?
And then guess how you might get it off!

FFs.

You did the right thing.

Remember the buck stops with the driver,

:
You did the right thing.

Remember the buck stops with the driver,

Remember the marked cards start with overbearing office bods and management. :imp:

Bking:
Why not push the first pallet forward with the second pallet with a fork truck so it sat in the middle of the box■■?

FFs.

Why should he?? He’s already said the pallets were crap, so how are they supposed to be pushed down the bed of the truck without falling to bits?

If he does it your way, he will end up hand balling over 2 ton of print off his motor and I’m sure he wants to be doin that

He done the right thing as far as I’m concerned

selby newcomer:

Bking:

FFs.

Why should he?? He’s already said the pallets were crap, so how are they supposed to be pushed down the bed of the truck without falling to bits?

If he does it your way, he will end up hand balling over 2 ton of print off his motor and I’m sure he wants to be doin that

He done the right thing as far as I’m concerned

Because he is supposed to be a "professional"driver aint he?
Or maybe a steering wheel attendant who knows who ■■■■■ cares.

Your 7,5 tonner with a tail lift doesnt leave a lot for freight.I would have said do 2 journeys if its not a great distance.As others have said its your license and your livelihood.

Bking:

FFs.

because the tailift was on the floor for the FLT to drive on because the tailift would not support the pallets so the FLT had no traction to push the pallets ,also the pallets where crap chuckaways and would have been destroyed if i had tried to drag them off with a strap at the other end damaging the product