Warrington Guardian website

And when I’ve asked companies/vmu what the fifth wheel height is nobody knows! Who’s responsibility■■?

coreysboys:
And when I’ve asked companies/vmu what the fifth wheel height is nobody knows! Who’s responsibility■■?

the drivers, does it not say in the operators manual? get your hands on a tape measure

stevieboy308:

coreysboys:

the drivers, does it not say in the operators manual? get your hands on a tape measure

Pretty much up to the driver I think, in Volvo’s you can adjust the traveling ride height, so the fifth wheel height could change day to day, but it’s pretty easy to measure once you have the trailer on.

bigdave789:
Pretty sure that’s Marsh House Lane Warrington the continuation of Padgate Lane
The Rylands Whitecross wire works used to be on there, it’s now a development of apartments.
That bridge gets battered on a regular basis

Indeed, I know the area well as lived in Warrington most my life. The bus depot used to be there (Mayne?), not sure if its still there as I never take any notice lol. Shame the wire works went but certainly a bit more easier on the eye now. I think they should put advanced warning signs up regarding bridge height.

gyalogkakukk79:

The clearance under bridges spanning public roads in the UK, below which low bridge
signing is required, is 16’-6” (5.03m). All bridges with a headroom of less than this, at
any point over a carriageway, should be signed in accordance with the guidance
given in Chapter 4 of the Traffic Signs Manual (TSM)2 , section 7. This will, in all
situations, allow a minimum safety margin of 3” or 0.1m (these are not equivalent
values but are each determined in accordance with the measurement guidelines).

In my view.(because the sign means)
In the UK the sign what is on the bridge means that is the height of the bridge.
So this sign shows you the following. You can not drive under the bridge if the height of the trailer is the same .
This sign tell you the bridge height and not the maximum authorized height of the vehicle
In the Europe the signs on the bridges shows you what is the maximum height of the vehicle to drive under the bridge. You might be can drive under the bridge with a higher trailer because there is a safety distances between the marked height and the real bridge height.
But if you do you break the law and you can get fine if the police stay after the bridge and measuring the height as they sometimes do in a capital when I used to live.

On the forest lorries you can see the height of the fifth wheel.

You really are quite stupid aren’t you?

This is the DfT’s booklet, click on it, then on low bridge signs on the left.

It clearly states “No vehicles over the height shown may pass the sign” :unamused:

Over, NOT the same.

gyalogkakukk79:

The clearance under bridges spanning public roads in the UK, below which low bridge
signing is required, is 16’-6” (5.03m). All bridges with a headroom of less than this, at
given in Chapter 4 of the Traffic Signs Manual (TSM)2 , section 7. This will, in all
situations, allow a minimum safety margin of 3” or 0.1m (these are not equivalent

gyalogkakukk79:
In the UK the sign what is on the bridge means that is the height of the bridge.
So this sign shows you the following. You can not drive under the bridge if the height of the trailer is the same .
This sign tell you the bridge height and not the maximum authorized height of the vehicle

But you’re wrong, the quote above is from the DFT guidelines to bridge owners on how to mark them up, it states there should be at least 3" safety margin from the height shown on the sign.

Also the Highway code says on Height Sign, No Vehicles Over the Height shown. Not no vehicles at or over the height shown.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070642.pdf

waynedl:

oh dear oh dear. Where are your manners Wayne? I believe that the correct protocol would be “I say old bean, I notice that this is your first post, so may I be the first to extend the hand of friendship and welcom you to the forum. Oh, by the way, you are quite stupid aren’t you?”

See, manners maketh the man. :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

waynedl:

oh dear oh dear. Where are your manners Wayne? I believe that the correct protocol would be “I say old bean, I notice that this is your first post, so may I be the first to extend the hand of friendship and welcom you to the forum. Oh, by the way, you are quite stupid aren’t you?”

See, manners maketh the man. :smiley: :smiley:

His 1st post was badly written and wrong, but written in a way that it was stating a fact - even though it was wrong. I think I’ve met him previously in an RDC and I didn’t like him then either :grimacing:

muckles:

gyalogkakukk79:

gyalogkakukk79:

But you’re wrong, the quote above is from the DFT guidelines to bridge owners on how to mark them up, it states there should be at least 3" safety margin from the height shown on the sign.

Also the Highway code says on Height Sign, No Vehicles Over the Height shown. Not no vehicles at or over the height shown.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070642.pdf

I wonder how many bridges are remeasured when the road has been dug up and relaid.
They might knock an inch or two off the height when they relay the road

Soldier z:
I wonder how many bridges are remeasured when the road has been dug up and relaid.
They might knock an inch or two off the height when they relay the road

Well only if guidelines aren’t followed.

2.1 No surfacing works including full depth reconstruction, plane off and inlay, surface
dressing or overlay should be undertaken in the vicinity of any bridge without the
designer first discussing the proposal and its implications with both the highway
authority’s bridge engineer and, where different, the bridge owner and obtaining their
agreement. This is due to the potential for uncontrolled reductions in headroom
under the bridge to occur leading to an increase in incidences of bridge strikes. This
applies to all bridges, those with restricted (signed) headrooms and those where the
actual minimum headroom equals or exceeds 16’-6” (5.03m), the standard minimum
maintained headroom.

Kerbdog:
just looked at the OP’s photo again and you have to say that the Forest Freight guy got quite a way through, must have been shifting a fair bit !

That’s what I was thinking, looking at that he has just teararsed through without a care. Even if a bridge is marked up at a couple of inches or so more than my trailer height I just naturally crawl under with my head out of window and hand on suspension switch… It’s a classic case of drivers & screwdrivers :unamused:

robroy:

Kerbdog:
just looked at the OP’s photo again and you have to say that the Forest Freight guy got quite a way through, must have been shifting a fair bit !

That’s what I was thinking, looking at that he has just teararsed through without a care. Even if a bridge is marked up at a couple of inches or so more than my trailer height I just naturally crawl under with my head out of window and hand on suspension switch… It’s a classic case of drivers & screwdrivers :unamused:

Depends how many times you’ve been through it :smiley:

:neutral_face:

Comparing the bridge to the height of the tractor units, I wouldn’t have said that was 14’ 9".

gyalogkakukk79:

waynedl:

This is the DfT’s booklet, click on it, then on low bridge signs on the left.

It clearly states “No vehicles over the height shown may pass the sign” :unamused:

Over, NOT the same.

I want to told you. The sign means to me do not drive through under the bridge with the trailer if the hight is the same like of the bridge.
I did not spoke about the fact because I do not know about.
The fact is once I tried drive through under a low bridge on the A205 South circular. The trailer and the bridge hight was the same.
That was the first time like this.
Luckily I stopped just before the bridge with 1 centimetre then checked the hight with my eyes. And the trailer was higher then the bridge.
I raised down the suspension and drove under that.
So that`s the reason why I told you that about the sign.
Before the bridge there was a warning sign what was flashing and showed me turn left. But I meant it is flashing all the time.
But now I know that is flashing only if the vehicle over hight.
The trailer hight and the bridge hight was the same.
I drove a Hire DAF that day.
Where can you see the hight of the fifth wheel?

Dear Wayne, I am a [zb]…g foreigner , but I work for the Forest, so can I ask you do not lie about me?
Because I am absolutely sure we never have a conversation in any warehouse.
(You told we met somewhere.)
So you can hate or like me.Calling me stupid or crazy is not a problem for me because I am not to clever.

I have spoke about me. The sign means to me what I wrote.
Because my experience.
Thanks for the link. Good to know the fact.

I have no idea half of what you just wrote mate.

I’ve never said we’ve met have I? If I have, then it’s because we have, but I don’t think so.

If a trailer was going to hit a bridge and they were both marked at the same height, one was wrong or the trailer height was based on a different 5th wheel height to what you was running.

You can find the 5th wheel height by hooking upto the trailer, setting suspension to standard running height, being on level ground and measuring the height between the floor and the bottom of the trailer :wink:

Kerbdog:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I still think its amazing how such a small pin can hold a trailer through pretty much anything… Got to be one of the best inventions in all time along with the internal combustion engine.

Totally agree !

FarnboroughBoy11:
Anyway it’s the drivers fault 100%.

Disagree ! Although if you rattle through a bridge marked up as the same height as your trailer then you are in trouble. Even if there’s a difference of height in your favour you should be slowing down and checking it yourself… The reason I disagree is that usually they give you an inch at least on the trailer height and usually give you more on the bridge, but that said you shouldn’t really attempt a bridge that is the same advertised height as the trailer !

Yes but surely it has got to be the drivers fault when it is that close?? Whether he gets prosecuted for it is a different matter.

Ignore what it says on the trailer, ignore what it says on the fifth wheel, unless you have physically measured them with a tape measure or a height pole.

No vehicles over height given!

That what these signs say too!

So for all of you that won’t go under a bridge with a trailer marked up at the same height and think if you do and hit it you’ll be in the wrong.
How much lower should the trailer be to the height on the sign before the authorities wouldn’t think you weren’t in the wrong if you hit the bridge?
And what information have you used to come to this figure?

Amazing that so many drivers that don’t have a [zb]ing clue what road signs mean are allowed out on the road on a daily basis. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The sign on the bridge is giving you no information about the actual height of the bridge other than it is much more than 14’ 9". The sign tells you the maximum height of vehicle which can pass through. If I know the vehicle is 14’ 9", because I’ve measured it and not just gone by something written on the headboard, and the sign says 14’ 9" then I’m not even slowing down because it will sail through easily. If it doesn’t then the sign is wrong and it’s not my problem. Drivers slowing right down and sticking their head out of the window are just displaying their total lack of knowledge regarding either road signs, the true height of their vehicle, or both.