Warning Vehicle Turning Left

First off I think the idea is a good one - anything that will help improve safety and save lives has got to be welcomed, BUT it seems to me that the technology has been rushed through before it was ready to be rolled out. Fine have an audible warning when you signal left, however the sensors which are supposed to detect a cyclist in the blind spot are utterly useless. My alarm not only screams off in the cab if any object I.e a lamp post is detected, but also goes off if the unit is slightly off line with the trailer. The whole point of the alarm is to make you automatically check your mirror, but sadly the regularity of the false alarm renders its shock factor ineffective. I’d even go so far as to admit that in certain circumstances I turn off the signal to stop the bloody noise in the cab.

So who else has got this system fitted, and do you have the same issue?

Tris:
First off I think the idea is a good one - anything that will help improve safety and save lives has got to be welcomed, BUT it seems to me that the technology has been rushed through before it was ready to be rolled out. Fine have an audible warning when you signal left, however the sensors which are supposed to detect a cyclist in the blind spot are utterly useless. My alarm not only screams off in the cab if any object I.e a lamp post is detected, but also goes off if the unit is slightly off line with the trailer. The whole point of the alarm is to make you automatically check your mirror, but sadly the regularity of the false alarm renders its shock factor ineffective. I’d even go so far as to admit that in certain circumstances I turn off the signal to stop the bloody noise in the cab.

I have this and the cyclists still ignore it,pointless.

bobbya:

Tris:

It’s not pointless at all. Some might ignore it, but others won’t. If it saves 1 life it’s worth it.

I had this in a Volvo tipper I was driving in the summer. Audible warning whenever the left hand indicator was operated “warning this vehicle is about to turn left”. Got to the point where I was purposefully not using the indicator until I was almost at the junction, as got very self conscious at pedestrians keep looking up at the vehicle when in a traffic line at lights etc. The warning was VERY loud. I am ‘old skool’ and prefer to keep a continual eye in my mirrors.

LIBERTY_GUY:
I had this in a Volvo tipper I was driving in the summer. Audible warning whenever the left hand indicator was operated “warning this vehicle is about to turn left”. Got to the point where I was purposefully not using the indicator until I was almost at the junction, as got very self conscious at pedestrians keep looking up at the vehicle when in a traffic line at lights etc. The warning was VERY loud. I am ‘old skool’ and prefer to keep a continual eye in my mirrors.

That bit doesn’t bother me, although at 4 am pulling out of a truck stop or in a residential area I can see a few people getting woke up not being very happy. :laughing:

The reason I sometimes turn my left indicator off is to stop the high decibel alarm in the cab. The workshops solution to the false alarm is “put some sellotape over the speaker” :unamused:

I have this on my tractor and only works below about 15kms. Is very good and doesn’t give any false alarms. The sensors are just right, and the red light and alarm in cab only goes off if anything gets within about 30 cms. The green and amber warning lights activate when anything is about a metre away. I know people ignore it, but if it saves one accident it’s worth it. I also had a switch fitted into the system so I can turn it off if in a residential area at night. Have also found it useful when on tight building sites if the N/S front corner gets too close to anything.

nyk473l:
I have this on my tractor and only works below about 15kms. Is very good and doesn’t give any false alarms. The sensors are just right, and the red light and alarm in cab only goes off if anything gets within about 30 cms. The green and amber warning lights activate when anything is about a metre away. I know people ignore it, but if it saves one accident it’s worth it. I also had a switch fitted into the system so I can turn it off if in a residential area at night. Have also found it useful when on tight building sites if the N/S front corner gets too close to anything.

Are you the marketing guy for this or something?

If it doesn’t give any false alarms then it doesn’t work. FACT

It cannot differentiate between a lamp post or a bike and 30cm is about the length of my iPad so if a bike is further away (the way yours is set up) it’s useless.

You have basically proved the point I’m making. Yours isn’t set up to detect bicycles as 30cm isn’t enough scope to make it fit for purpose, but if the tolerance is altered to make it fit for purpose it picks up any object making it go off all the time.

The idea is good, but the execution is poor. It’s a system that’s been introduced without it being developed properly. A bodge job.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to turn off the audible warning :question: , mine hasn’t worked since it was used 3 weeks ago at the w/ end ,the screen in cab / sensors work fine but no audible warning ,I’m told you can’t turn it off ,but just seems strange it worked fine and then after being used at w/end it hasn’t worked since ,asked driver who had it and he said he didn’t touch it but can’t remember if it worked or not .
N.b before you say it ,it’s been defected every week and as ofnow not mended :unamused: :unamused: .ta

We have so Yellow flashing Lights fitted :exclamation: Indicator they are called :bulb:

Tris:

bobbya:

Tris:

It’s not pointless at all. Some might ignore it, but others won’t. If it saves 1 life it’s worth it.

The ones who ignore it will be the dead ones still equals driver in the ■■■■,just ban cyclists off our roads,at least we have a reason to be there,lycra man what point??,pointless!!

LIBERTY_GUY:
Got to the point where I was purposefully not using the indicator until I was almost at the junction, as got very self conscious at pedestrians keep looking up at the vehicle…

Me too.

I went through a big puddle a few weeks ago though and the speaker which is mounted somewhere around the n/s wheel arch didn’t seem to like it. It was a bit muffled for a while and then nothing. Result.

Keep forgetting to defect it.

We have them and they go off when they feel like it. Close to something? It goes off! Nothing within 20 yards in any direction? It goes off! Totally random and therefore totally pointless

scanny77:
We have them and they go off when they feel like it. Close to something? It goes off! Nothing within 20 yards in any direction? It goes off! Totally random and therefore totally pointless

Exactly. I don’t even associate the annoying screech to looking for a cyclists anymore. It’s just something that happens every time I turn left. As you say it’s pointless. The audible alarm to warn cyclists is a good thing though even if some will just ignore it.

Immigrant:
We have so Yellow flashing Lights fitted :exclamation: Indicator they are called :bulb:

When i use my indicator it flashes orange.

we have these fitted to our units… I do night trunks, haven’t seen any cyclists in the last 6 months.
very annoying, just have to remember to hit the off switch before indicating…