Warning: Self indulgent whinge alert!

I’m 40 next. Class one driver, currently on drawbar.

Been driving for a living since the turn of the century.

It seems that due to my impending “Big Four O” I’m feeling a bit gloomy.

I’ve probably got another 30 years of early starts, long days, tricky drops, miserable/arsey/cliquey workmates and will have to endure the moronic UK driving public.

I’ve already put 22 years of graft in. I fully expect to have to be 70 by the time I can claim my state pension. A sobering thought indeed.

I cover about 2k kilometres a week.

I do 2 nights away a week.

The self satisfaction that I first got when I initially ended up a class one driver was fleeting. Now it’s 80% joyless. I do, however get the odd decent day when I’m somewhere different and the roads are open, challenging and visually appealing.

I suspect there are many others in the same boat. Just going through the motions.

If I had to hazard a guess I’d say 75% of HGV drivers do the job solely to earn a living and could take or leave it as a profession.

To the older lads reading this, those in their 60’s whom have been driving all their working lives - If I had a hat on I’d doff it towards you all.

I’ll more than likely have been on the road just as long in 2040 odd but by crikey it’s a sobering thought.

Here’s my whinge…
I’m a right miserable git at the best of times (as most of you will know :laughing: ) more so at the moment as I’ve aggravated an old back injury, thus I’m looking for another job as chiropractors fees outstrip my (very good) night out money. :imp:
I love driving and get a lot of satisfaction once I’ve carried several tonnes of flour off the lorry into a bakery (18tonnes handballed on my tod in 3 days), but the job is playing havoc with my health (5 hours sleep is a lie in) and other less physical driving jobs are overtaking it in terms of wages.

hiabman:
I’ve probably got another 30 years of early starts, long days, tricky drops, miserable/arsey/cliquey workmates and will have to endure the moronic UK driving public.

I’ve already put 22 years of graft in. I fully expect to have to be 70 by the time I can claim my state pension. A sobering thought indeed.

Shudder !!! :smiley: You’ll also go through the truckers change of life…thats when you go from thinking the WTD is a pain in the arse, to being glad its there so you can stop for another ■■■■ !!! :laughing:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Here’s my whinge…
I’m a right miserable git at the best of times (as most of you will know :laughing: ) more so at the moment as I’ve aggravated an old back injury, thus I’m looking for another job as chiropractors fees outstrip my (very good) night out money. :imp:
I love driving and get a lot of satisfaction once I’ve carried several tonnes of flour off the lorry into a bakery (18tonnes handballed on my tod in 3 days), but the job is playing havoc with my health (5 hours sleep is a lie in) and other less physical driving jobs are overtaking it in terms of wages.

You need a tipper truck with a lever and an easy sheet again Nathan :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Cotswoldcrunch:
I’ve aggravated an old back injury, thus I’m looking for another job as chiropractors fees outstrip my (very good) night out money. :imp:
I love driving and get a lot of satisfaction once I’ve carried several tonnes of flour off the lorry into a bakery (18tonnes handballed on my tod in 3 days),

I know exactly whats happened here :smiley: You’ve ripped the commonsense nerve that runs between your back and your brain. As soon as its fixed then you’ll give up ■■■■■■■ that amount with a bad back !!
Anyway, forget your chiropractor. Hows your chiropodist , as you’re always putting your foot in it ? :smiley:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Here’s my whinge…

Something about your circumstances looks familiar.

I remember a conversation once with a driver from FWP Matthews once when I was on a night out at Tunbridge Wells at Blue Boys Cafe off the A21. He told me how hard the work was and how decent his night out money was.

Small world if so!

FFS :unamused: Either do the job driving or find something else! I left school at 15 and never been out of work. I’ve done a few different jobs and qualified in some surprising ones. I chose to drive a lorry in 2000 and will do until I retire in 203? (can’t remember).

I enjoy whatever I do because it’s my choice - ok I get a bit miffed when stuck in traffic but I’m my own boss within reason. I break when I’m ready and no one is watching over me all the time. I get to places that some people have to pay to go :sunglasses: look on the bright side.

There are other alternative jobs out there but a mundane job won’t do for me anymore - I enjoy the freedom (again within parameters) and accept the pitfalls, which to be honest if you look at the whole scope the good far outweighs the bad! :smiley:

Think and be positive - my glass is half full :wink:

wrong mike , lack of a common sense nerve is the reason most of us got into driving . 18 ton in 2 days is nowt , i was doing 20 ton of flour every monday/tuesday and 20 ton every thursday/friday . mind you that was just before i stopped driving due to bad heart , lungs and legs . put your name down for the county council nathan ! .

Teach new drivers your expierence on cpc courses its you us new guys are listening too and learning from , well most of it lol and money is better im sure ! .

dri-diddly-iver:
FFS :unamused: Either do the job driving or find something else! I left school at 15 and never been out of work. I’ve done a few different jobs and qualified in some surprising ones. I chose to drive a lorry in 2000 and will do until I retire in 203? (can’t remember).

I enjoy whatever I do because it’s my choice - ok I get a bit miffed when stuck in traffic but I’m my own boss within reason. I break when I’m ready and no one is watching over me all the time. I get to places that some people have to pay to go :sunglasses: look on the bright side.

There are other alternative jobs out there but a mundane job won’t do for me anymore - I enjoy the freedom (again within parameters) and accept the pitfalls, which to be honest if you look at the whole scope the good far outweighs the bad! :smiley:

Be positive my arse.

It’s just the way it is. Kudos to you for your positive outlook but we’re all different. I’m just being honest.

I’ll just keep plodding on.

Victa1:
Teach new drivers your expierence on cpc courses its you us new guys are listening too and learning from , well most of it lol and money is better im sure ! .

Not much to teach in truth Victa.
It’s hardly rocket science.
I’ve done the 35 hours myself and would find it hard to look my wife in the eye knowing I’m scraping a living by teaching time served lorry drivers to ■■■■ eggs!

hiabman:

Victa1:

Not much to teach in truth Victa.
It’s hardly rocket science.
I’ve done the 35 hours myself and would find it hard to look my wife in the eye knowing I’m scraping a living by teaching time served lorry drivers to ■■■■ eggs!

My whole 21 hours with cpc ive never seen any disrespect for the trainer .

Victa1:

And rightly so. Anybody who openly shows disrespect to a bloke going about his job is a numpty.

My remark was a bit flippant. If you’re new to transport and are about to embark on a job in the industry then i wish you all the best.

hiabman:

Victa1:

And rightly so. Anybody who openly shows disrespect to a bloke going about his job is a numpty.

Even if the bloke going about his job is a numpty?

Our lads ripped a bloke to pieces when he started spouting RDC waiting room MMTM bull[zb] trying to pass it off as law and facts.

Seven hours suddenly became four.

hiabman:

dri-diddly-iver:

Be positive my arse.

Would guess that your glass is empty then - maybe hope for a refill :unamused:

hiabman:
I’m 40 next. Class one driver, currently on drawbar.

Been driving for a living since the turn of the century.

It seems that due to my impending “Big Four O” I’m feeling a bit gloomy.

I cover about 2k kilometres a week.

I do 2 nights away a week.

The self satisfaction that I first got when I initially ended up a class one driver was fleeting. Now it’s 80% joyless. I do, however get the odd decent day when I’m somewhere different and the roads are open, challenging and visually appealing.

I suspect there are many others in the same boat. Just going through the motions.

If I had to hazard a guess I’d say 75% of HGV drivers do the job solely to earn a living and could take or leave it as a profession.

To the older lads reading this, those in their 60’s whom have been driving all their working lives - If I had a hat on I’d doff it towards you all.

I’ll more than likely have been on the road just as long in 2040 odd but by crikey it’s a sobering thought.

:confused: Why would you continue doing a job you 80% hate for another THIRTY YEARS? :open_mouth: :unamused: Does someone have a noose round your neck ready to give it a sharp tug if you :bulb: go and do a job you actually enjoy? :bulb:

It saddens me that there are people like you that can’t see past the end of their noses and think that the only thing to life is work, work, work til they’re too old and knackered to enjoy anything. Just think to when you’re 70 and look back at your life and what you have achieved? Nothing! All you’ll have done is spent all your life working. Open your eyes, broaden your horizons man… There is driving work out there that pays very good money so that you can work only when you feel like it and spend the rest of your time enjoying life but it won’t be handed to you on a plate. Seek and ye shall find! If you’re not prepared to put in the legwork to better your life then you deserve the 52 years of tedium and general unhappiness that you’re setting yourself up for. :bulb:

When you say it like that, it is indeed a sobering thought. I’m really glad that I haven’t been driving for living very long, just 7 years, and sincerely hope that I won’t get blase or fed-up with the job, not that I don’t have a bad shift every now and then, who doesn’t? I’ve got a minimum 3years and 7months to go till retirement age, and plan to carry on for a while if my health and general enthusiasm are still good.
Right now, wild horses wouldn’t drag me back into the factory from whence I came, I work permanent nights, and once I hit the road in the evening, I’m the gaffer, as long as I get done what I’m supposed to in the time.

Left hand down!:
:confused: Why would you continue doing a job you 80% hate?..

It saddens me that there are people like you that can’t see past the end of their noses… All you’ll have done is spent all your life working. Open your eyes, broaden your horizons man…
There is driving work out there that pays very good money so that you can work only when you feel like it. Seek and ye shall find! If you’re not prepared to put in the legwork to better your life then you deserve the 52 years of tedium and general unhappiness that you’re setting yourself up for. :bulb:

Hate is too strong a word. I never said that.

I’m a work to live chap, outside of work I’m more than happy with the cards I’ve been dealt.

As for well paid driving jobs that you can do when you feel like it? I’m somewhat dubious on that one. Besides, I’m on good dough anyway (mainly why I’m still doing the job).

I was merely having a Friday night moan after a bottle of red (which ended up empty, never mind half).

I’ll just carry on with the job. Like most.

hiabman:
I remember a conversation once with a driver from FWP Matthews once when I was on a night out at Tunbridge Wells at Blue Boys Cafe off the A21. He told me how hard the work was and how decent his night out money was.

Small world if so!

It needn’t be such a hard job if the powers that be just stopped all the handball and made it doorstep delivery (as our subbies do, thus they get the easy work). Although it’s meant to be changing, at the moment I know 12 weeks in advance where I’m going, that means no nights out for me for another 4 weeks, so there are benefits.

at the moment I know 12 weeks in advance where I’m going,

Holy ■■■■ Robin! That must take all the fun out of it.

Most places wouldn’t do that as some Drivers might start planning their sick days :laughing: