Warming up an engine

098Joe:
Complete waste of time, the engine won’t warm up unless it is under load. The only bit that will warm up is the cylinder head. Also all the other components (gearbox ,axles etc) will still be stone cold.

^^^^
This all day long.
With the turbo spooling up and working along with the increase in fuel volume being burnt, temperatures quickly rise.

facebook.com/2ndgen.■■■■■■■ … 71672/?t=0

Problem answered

norb:
How turbos really work | By 2ndgen_cummins_only | Facebook

Problem answered

Excellent. :smiley:

Franglais:

norb:
How turbos really work | By 2ndgen_cummins_only | Facebook

Problem answered

Excellent. :smiley:

Even bking mayhave to admit he was wrong on this one…It did make me chuckle

098Joe:
Complete waste of time, the engine won’t warm up unless it is under load. The only bit that will warm up is the cylinder head. Also all the other components (gearbox ,axles etc) will still be stone cold.

No that is wrong, the coolant and the oil will warm up too. The gearbox and differentials will not warm up either way, but the moving components of those are basically bathed in oil anyway. My truck has temperature gauges for the transmission and both its differentials, on a cold day none of the gauges even register unless I’m in town or in the mountains and giving them a workout. From that I conclude that the gearbox and differentials don’t need temperature to work efficiently, whereas combustion is most efficient at normal operating temperatures.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

This thread is still ticking along? Impressive. Seems like it hasn’t even warmed up yet :laughing:

newmercman:

098Joe:

No that is wrong, the coolant and the oil will warm up too. The gearbox and differentials will not warm up either way, but the moving components of those are basically bathed in oil anyway. My truck has temperature gauges for the transmission and both its differentials, on a cold day none of the gauges even register unless I’m in town or in the mountains and giving them a workout. From that I conclude that the gearbox and differentials don’t need temperature to work efficiently, whereas combustion is most efficient at normal operating temperatures.

mercman Please click on the link and you will get my meaning …It is funny you will enjoy it unless you don’t have a sense of humour …chill :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oh I saw that and did find it funny, I wasn’t referring to that in my post. Although… it does kind of prove my theory, see how much boost you get with a frozen mouse compared with a nicely warned up mouse, I bet the warm one will win every time!

newmercman:
Oh I saw that and did find it funny, I wasn’t referring to that in my post. Although… it does kind of prove my theory, see how much boost you get with a frozen mouse compared with a nicely warned up mouse, I bet the warm one will win every time!

But has the link helped bking at all to understand :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

norb:

newmercman:

Hahaha, not a chance.

newmercman:

norb:

newmercman:

Hahaha, not a chance.

I was going to resurrect the turbo thread and post it on that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Though I actually had to agree with him on a DAF thread on the owners forum whe he said the metal LF tank rots from the inside :angry: :angry: :angry: :laughing: :laughing: I don’t agree with 99% of things he says ,but the law of averages will state he is correct occassionally ,though it isn’t a technical issue as such :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Interesting factette: the big Euro VI Volvo engines have a ‘hot’ EGR system. Its purpose is to warm the engine up fast by putting hot gas back into the cylinder. It doesn’t operate in normal running: only when the engine is cold.

IIRC the old pre Euro I Volvo 10 litre did the same by closing the exhaust brake.

GasGas:
Interesting factette: the big Euro VI Volvo engines have a ‘hot’ EGR system. Its purpose is to warm the engine up fast by putting hot gas back into the cylinder. It doesn’t operate in normal running: only when the engine is cold.

IIRC the old pre Euro I Volvo 10 litre did the same by closing the exhaust brake.

Dfa also use the EGR to get the engine up to temp asap ,which i imagine all manufacturer ,So the inital emission control is EGR ,then when required SCR is used …Sda fact is ,as soon as the stuff get’s reliable and people can fix it ,it’s all change for the next EURO rules

norb:

GasGas:

Dfa also use the EGR to get the engine up to temp asap ,which i imagine all manufacturer ,So the inital emission control is EGR ,then when required SCR is used …Sda fact is ,as soon as the stuff get’s reliable and people can fix it ,it’s all change for the next EURO rules

I remember reading . . . somewhere. . . that Euro6 was going to be it for a while. … .I think?
Is that me wrong again? Owt else in the pipeline?

Franglais:

norb:

GasGas:

I remember reading . . . somewhere. . . that Euro6 was going to be it for a while. … .I think?

Well DAF have modified the EURO 6 model hugely they call it MY2017 MODEL YEAR 2017 externally it has the 2 bumps on the grill …I think EURO 7 is only 2 years away …not such a huge change as EURO 6 was

norb:

Franglais:

norb:

GasGas:

Well DAF have modified the EURO 6 model hugely they call it MY2017 MODEL YEAR 2017 externally it has the 2 bumps on the grill …I think EURO 7 is only 2 years away …not such a huge change as EURO 6 was

Weve had a 2017 on demo. I havent spoken to the guy whos been driving it yet. He has a 65 plate normally so his opinion should be interesting. He preferred his older model DAF* but, in truth hes not such a fanatical, illogical, rabid, hater of the 65`s as me.

But then again…

• EDIT I meant he preferred his 10 plate to the 65. Dunno yet his view on the 17.

Any vehicle that is fuel injected should be driven straight away. its only the old carbed vehicles you was better letting warm up. The problem with fuel injected vehicles when cold the injectors squirt a lot more fuel in which will rinse the piston of all oil making more damage to the liners. you should aim to get the vehicle warmed up as soon as possible but not by thrashing it.

I had a few old cars that didn’t like cold damp mornings, coughing and sputtering down the road, a bit different to now, my car runs fine in the morning, I’m the one coughing and sputtering.

Euro7, does anyone know what that’s going to be? I’ve heard the next round of EPA regulations will be reducing CO2, another load of sensors and crap to go wrong.

A Question?
The atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen which according to the “great and the good” is an inert gas.
So every time your engine draws breath 78% of its swept volume is nitrogen.
So 22% is “volatile” gas eg Oxygen to combine with the fuel (diesel or petrol) to provide power.

So why do dragsters etc introduce more nitrogen in the form of NOx to produce more power?
Why not just introduce more oxygen?
According to theory nitrogen acts as a “buffer” wtf is a buffer?
And when a heavy diesel produces NOx why does its power not increase?
Apparently you have to have a cat to get rid of it because its a gas that causes “acid rain”
Any answers?

Bking:
A Question?
The atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen which according to the “great and the good” is an inert gas.
So every time your engine draws breath 78% of its swept volume is nitrogen.
So 22% is “volatile” gas eg Oxygen to combine with the fuel (diesel or petrol) to provide power.

So why do dragsters etc introduce more nitrogen in the form of NOx to produce more power?
Why not just introduce more oxygen?
According to theory nitrogen acts as a “buffer” wtf is a buffer?
And when a heavy diesel produces NOx why does its power not increase?
Apparently you have to have a cat to get rid of it because its a gas that causes “acid rain”
Any answers?

Firstly it’s the ‘expansion’ of the ‘air’ in the cylinder,which obviously includes the nitrogen content of the ‘air’,that provides the ‘power’.The burning of the fuel in the oxygen ‘contained’ in the air just provides the ‘heat’ to ‘expand’ the ‘air’.The more ‘air’ you can cram into the cylinder on the inlet stroke the higher the cylinder pressure acting on the piston will be when it expands from the heat of the fuel oxygen combustion process.

As for introducing an nox ‘buffer’ regards dragsters.I’d guess the idea is to calm down the much more violent combustion of nitro fuel which,unlike petrol, contains its own oxygen source to add to the oxygen content of the air.Without which I’d guess the flame front,which because of the higher level of oxygen,is much more like an explosion in the case of nitro fuelling,can outrun the expansion of the air in the cylinder.At best meaning loss of power.Or at worse causing devastating results on the engine possibly also firing back through the inlet valves/ports and manifolding thereby resulting in a blower explosion in addition to wrecking the engine. :bulb: