Wanted. ''ice road trucker''

Hi all.This bit of a fishing expedition just to see if there is any ‘‘sensible’’ intrest.
It is not so much a job possibility as a chance for someone who is interested in a complete lifestyle change.
My old boss here in Lappland has diverse transport interests including a driving school and mining trucks.
He also has 2 volvo ADR tanker roadtrains on a long term contract to a Company transporting explosives and other nasty ■■■■ for the mining industry.Due to the customer requirements in servicing the contract and the over abundance of regulations involved in transporting anything ‘‘nasty’’ he is contemplating changing the driving system re the ADR trucks.He wants to put 2 drivers on the truck.
The system will be 1 week working,1 week free.The wages should be between £2000-£2500 net per month.
As yet he has not actively advertised. As there is already a shortage of people here in the North, he would have to advertise in the South of Sweden.Due to good experience with an English guy and a Dutch guy he is open to consider someone from those places.Basically it’s a case of ‘‘if the right person shows up on the door with the right attitude and ability’’
The work consists of loading\unloading between Gällivare then to the middle\South of Sweden\Norway,then back up to the far North of Sweden\Norway.As far soth as Stockholm\Oslo and as far North as Hammerfest\Kirkenes
PLEASE,do not consider asking anything about this IF
You have been everywhere and done everything but don’t know how to fit snow\ice chains as even with studded tyres sometimes chains are unavoidable.
You have never driven on snow and ice and don’t like the Cold as it’s up to 6 months of winter here.
You have a jobsworth mentality,here it is the ‘‘old fashioned’’ way.You have to help service and repair the trucks and change tyres.
Don’t Think about sending cv’s,they are not interested.They want to see the person,judge character,ability and willingness to fit in.
You are an adventurer who just wants to ‘‘try something new’’ and who will bottle out or just get bored.
This is for someone who wants to emigrate somewhere to work and have a better '‘quality of life’'You won’t get rich [no-one does in transport]but you get a good wage and free time to enjoy it.
During my time here many people have posted\written asking for all sorts of info about working\living in the far North.I have spent a lot of time answering these question.Without exception all of these queries have died a death.
Many of you dream of moving to the other side of the world and are prepared to sell your house\wife\body and spend thousands on what is ‘‘a wing and a prayer’’,but are not prepared to spend a few hundred Pounds on a plane ticket and a rental car,and take a week out of your Life to come up to Lappland,which is easier than Canada\USA as European paperwork is valid here and when you get a job and tax number you get a permit to stay as long as you want.So if you can’t make a small effort to change your life YOU AINT INTERESTED, nor are we.
Please read info re Scandinavia on the forums,don’t waste my time or your’s.Mike

Sorry the other post was posted by mistake,this is the correct version.If a mod can delete the other one.Thanks.

hutpik:
Sorry the other post was posted by mistake,this is the correct version.If a mod can delete the other one.Thanks.

Sorted, don’t make a habit of it though :wink:

Lot’s of unemployed swedish drivers, wonder why they want drivers from abroad…

It’s not about wanting a foreign driver so much as offering someone the chance to change their lifestyle from the stress and traffic of Europé to a more relaxed way of working\living up here in the North.And you know perfectly well that Swedes from the South don’t want to relocate to the North.The Swedes themselves call Norbotten\Lappland ‘‘the dark side of the moon’’.

Wow, what an amazing opportunity for someone. Ten years ago I would have been all over such a brilliant chance. Life doesn’t get much better (and sometimes harder!) than driving round Scandinavia. Good luck with your search.

Hi, have been browsing the forum for a while.
This post has really got me interested, just one major stumbling block I don’t have ADR!!! How soon is your boss looking for potential drivers■■?

hutpik:
And you know perfectly well that Swedes from the South don’t want to relocate to the North.

Because they are not paid enough.

Perhaps then people need to re-adjust their values.If you move to the far North you do it not just for the money but for the ‘‘quality of Life’’ which is totally different than the South of Sweden or anywhere else in Europé.I personally don’t Think that £2000-£2500 is such a pittance when you consider that the cost of living up here is quite reasonable compared to the South.Working 1 week then 1 week free is not exactly ‘‘over stressfull’’ for a long distance trucker.To be able to earn that and have the free time to be able to relax has also got to have a value.
If you’re really desperate or greedy you can Always work your ‘‘free week’’ in the mine driving [tacho exempt].
But hey everyone to his own.I have never been so ‘‘stress free’’ as i am here.

hutpik:
Perhaps then people need to re-adjust their values.If you move to the far North you do it not just for the money but for the ‘‘quality of Life’’ which is totally different than the South of Sweden or anywhere else in Europé.I personally don’t Think that £2000-£2500 is such a pittance when you consider that the cost of living up here is quite reasonable compared to the South.Working 1 week then 1 week free is not exactly ‘‘over stressfull’’ for a long distance trucker.To be able to earn that and have the free time to be able to relax has also got to have a value.
If you’re really desperate or greedy you can Always work your ‘‘free week’’ in the mine driving [tacho exempt].

You couldn’t have put it any better, In in fact I am a little jealous of you,

hutpik:

Well put. Similar in many places. My Dad could have earned much more had he stayed living in Oxfordshire, but choose less money and better life by moving to rural west Wales. I’m jealous of you I adore Scandinavia.

Tho £2.5k for that work is hardly underpaid!

What a great offer of a completely different sort of job/lifestyle. :sunglasses:

I’d have been all over it like a rash back in the day,however these days,my get up and go has got up and bloody well gone :slight_smile:

Does the job involve driving over frozen rivers & such like ?

Hi all.
Switch.I consider that a good wage however you calculate it.Its £1100 if you work and nothing when your free to enjoy spending it,or it’s £550 each week,if you work or not.I was merely trying to illustrate that to our friend from Finland who was so critical on behalf of the Southern Swedes as to why they won’t come up here.It’s a bit ironic when you consider thay we are inundated with Finns working up here.Either the wages aren’t that bad or the Finns are here as ‘‘cheap labour’’ which i don’t believe.
Ramon.No it’s just driving on normal :wink: roads which just happen to be covered in snow and ice for long periods and which can be quite narrow and bendy.
About the only time they drive over rivers or lakes anymore is if they are in forested areas so this only applies to logging trucks.
I drove over lakes and rivers in Canada many years ago and can say that it’s not exiting or adventurous,just very stressful.

Nice one hutpik. :wink:

It sounds like you’ve got a great thing going there,fair play to you mate.

Sod driving on lakes and rivers for a lark,I just don’t have the bottle for that kind of thing. :blush:

I’d snap your hand off if it wasn’t for one wife, three kids, two dogs and one goldfish.

:blush:

I suppose you could leave the wife and kids but the dogs and goldfish would be tough.
It’s funny,over 1000 people have ‘‘looked’’ at this thread but only 2 have replied[and neither of them were British].It makes one wonder what we really want.When we read this sort of thread,is it when you see that there is no Kenworth with a long nose or buddies called ‘‘Polar Bear,or Macho Rick’’,or is it just that it’s more of an ordinary job in a country where the first language is not English.Is it that the ■■■■ for adventure or fear of the unknown,or are people really so contented in their jobs in the UK.If so why all the negativity about working in the UK.
I also posted this on a Dutch site and had over 20 replies.4 of the guys have already comeup here and are now doing ‘‘holiday relief’’ driving in the mines,quite happily doing all the hours that are offered making up to grand a week.One has already put about £5000 down on a house here[ok,he’s worked like hell for the last few weeks]

What is the distance between Costa Coffee shops can’t go too long without a Costa??

I reckon my adventuring days are over, for now.
I was army for 12 years and made a lot of moves to Regiments in several different countries, with a few detachments to some more interesting places as well.
My family came with me on the long term moves.
10 years ago, we’d probably have jumped at a chance like this
I’m now in a job I like with reasonable money. My wife is very ill as well now, so we’re staying where we are.

Not sure about the costa.I know they are in Stockholm,thats only 1200kms from here.Otherwise you have to suffer the local brew.Anyway the coffe in the mine is free so thats a big plus. :wink:
Simon.I Think a lot of guys in your\my age would have been intersted but for the passing of time and changing of circumstances.When i first posted this it was more for the sort of people that have been doing the job for a while but now feel the need to change the lifestyle to a more moderate pace whilst still being able to have a good standard and quality of life.
when i read about people who try to go to Canada or the USA i feel the need to say ‘‘why don’t you try here’’,its very much like Canada,people,menality,climate and nature.The main differences being it’s EU so you don’t have the paperwork problems,the social,welfare and Medical systems are good.And as regards transport the Scandinavians are very ‘Winter orientated’’ and in many ways they have better equipment than the North Americans.And yes,i have lived and worked in the North of Canada and Quebec and driven the trucks they have there so can compare both systems.

You won’t find a costa coffee in stockholm. the nearest one i think is in poland… in stockholm its all waynes or espresso house :wink: Spend to much time there to know these things.