Want to hire an 18t

Just wondering if you need to put your digi card in for hiring a 18t for private use? R.E moving house etc. If you do then how does it work if you own a hgv and drive it as a daily run around and not used for work. Need one in for then, surely not? Confused!!!

Yes, you need to use your card for anything over 7.5T for private use.

You’ll be lucky to hire a 18t with out and O licence :wink:

blue estate:
You’ll be lucky to hire a 18t with out and O licence :wink:

Have had a few knock backs but think ive found somewhere in Birmingham. Cheers

kevin0410:

Cheers for reply. So if I own a hgv I always have to have it in, even if im popping up to the shops or dropping the kids off etc, for personal use. If so whats the difference for horse boxes. They don’t have to use taco. There all mostly owned privately and not used for work?

themattster79:
Just wondering if you need to put your digi card in for hiring a 18t for private use? R.E moving house etc. If you do then how does it work if you own a hgv and drive it as a daily run around and not used for work. Need one in for then, surely not? Confused!!!

As said you need to use the tachograph and the hours will count towards your working/driving hours.

You can run an 18t HGV for private use but you cannot carry goods with it, as you want to carry goods in a vehicle over 7.5t it comes in-scope of EU regulations.

themattster79:

kevin0410:

Cheers for reply. So if I own a hgv I always have to have it in, even if im popping up to the shops or dropping the kids off etc, for personal use. If so whats the difference for horse boxes. They don’t have to use taco. There all mostly owned privately and not used for work?

Private use no tacho needed if vehicle is 25 yrs old plus .

themattster79:

kevin0410:

all horseboxes over 7.5 tonnes have to use tacho’s for private use now, the law changed in 2007.