Wannabe.

Yo all, I,m new to the site and am due to take my lgv class 2 lessons and test next week. I am completely new to the heavy goods world but look forward to becoming part of it. This is a total change of vocation for me and would really appreciate any sound advice on the subject of learning and finding work in the hgv world. I have only experience in driving large vans and after having an assesment lesson in a lgv i have found considerable differences. I have already read the advice and posts on the site regarding training and so on and found most of the advice helpful. Has anyone else got anything positive to add?

Thanks Midget.

Who you training with?

Do you need initial dcpc?

Why do you think it’s the job for you? what do you no about it?

ROG:
Who you training with? I,m training with red rose training,in the north west of england. Bolton branch.

i have been informed that i don,t need to do the case study pt2 and practical pt 4 as i have held my car licence since 86. I spent some time on the phone with the dsa and dvla regarding this matter as the bods at the theory test centre were useless and couldn,t give me a straight answer. I have however to complete my driver cpc 35hrs training before sept 14 or i can,t drive for a living. I am thinking of doing my cpc along with an add on course ie. hiab licence as soon as i have past my practical driving test. If you can offer any other advice at all i would very much appreciate it. Thanks for the prompt response and i look forward to yours and any other replies.

midget:

ROG:
Who you training with? I,m training with red rose training,in the north west of england. Bolton branch.

i have been informed that i don,t need to do the case study pt2 and practical pt 4 as i have held my car licence since 86. I spent some time on the phone with the dsa and dvla regarding this matter as the bods at the theory test centre were useless and couldn,t give me a straight answer. I have however to complete my driver cpc 35hrs training before sept 14 or i can,t drive for a living. I am thinking of doing my cpc along with an add on course ie. hiab licence as soon as i have past my practical driving test. If you can offer any other advice at all i would very much appreciate it. Thanks for the prompt response and i look forward to yours and any other replies.

Some training schools have their practical LGV driving courses approved for dcpc hours - they cost a little more but its usually cheaper than other ways of getting some of the 35 hours

Ask your school about this

If they do have them approved then its usually in blocks of 7 hours in one day or 2 x 3.5 hours over 2 consecutive days

Examples - test day cannot count
1 to 1 over 5 half days = 14 hours dcpc (4 x 3.5)
2 to 1 over 5 full days = 28 hours dcpc per trainee - still training when oppo driving

ROG:

midget:

ROG:

Some training schools have their practical LGV driving courses approved for dcpc hours - they cost a little more but its usually cheaper than other ways of getting some of the 35 hours

Ask your school about this

If they do have them approved then its usually in blocks of 7 hours in one day or 2 x 3.5 hours over 2 consecutive days

Examples - test day cannot count
1 to 1 over 5 half days = 14 hours dcpc (4 x 3.5)
2 to 1 over 5 full days = 28 hours dcpc per trainee - still training when oppo driving

Thanks for that rog, i will check that out. cheers.

Which training school have you paid your money to?

ROG:

red rose training in the north west of england. Bolton. I hope your not gonna give me any horror stories rog.lol.

midget:

ROG:

red rose training in the north west of england. Bolton. I hope your not gonna give me any horror stories rog.lol.

As far as I know RR is fine

ROG:

midget:

ROG:

As far as I know RR is fine

They did warn me of one company, regardless if i took training with them or not. Apparently a bogus outfit who take your money and run. I have been to rr and had an assesment and a look around. It all seems a professional set up and i wasn,t pushed into anything. Fingers crossed for next week mon-thurs training test on friday. Will let you all know how i go on.