Wannabe Trained & Work HGV Driver

Hello :wink:

I’m new to this forum and is my first post.

I’m 19years old and looking to find a company to train me up and to work for them as a professional HGV driver but is proving very difficulte.
Now I know it’s not the best time to be trying to get into a job but I’m sure someone out there will be looking for a young person to train up and work for them.

I live in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire. If anyone has any suggestions to get into a HGV driving please let me know.

I have my application forms for my provisional and medical just waiting to be filled out and sent off. I also have bought a training dvd to help me learn signs, rules, hazards etc.

This is the link to my advertised advert on gumtree.
http://leeds.gumtree.com/leeds/55/42934655.html

Thanks for your help.

Daniel.

Hi dannicoll,

ROG will be along soon with some advice for you… just as soon as the nurse has finished with him. :grimacing:

I understand what you’re looking for, and I’d like to wish you good luck in finding it. :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome dannicoll :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Now we get to the reality of your quest…

dannicoll:
I’m 19years old and looking to find a company to train me up and to work for them as a professional HGV driver but is proving very difficulte.

It’s not difficult - it’s virtually impossible - more chance of winning the national lotto

dannicoll:
I’m sure someone out there will be looking for a young person to train up and work for them.

They may be BUT not as a LGV driver - that’s not the way it works in this industry.

You have to pay for your own LGV training and test but if very lucky you might get funding from your jobcentre but only in some areas and that funding will probably not cover much of it - some offer, if you can get it, £300 which is not much towards the £1,600 that we estimate you need to do the initial cpc and C course.

After passing the C test you are likely to hit the ‘2 years experience’ barrier that many employers insist you have - catch 22 :exclamation: no job, no experience - no experience, no job

After realising that just having C is getting you nowhere you may spend another £1,000 going for your C+E which gives you more options - still got the catch 22 though !!

As I put further up this post, many newbies now have C+E jobs but it took a little time and they were in the right area of the UK - many areas are still laying off drivers.

Sorry to put a dampener on your plans but this is the reality.
This industry does not have an apprenticeship scheme.

There is one way that you might try - Join a haulage company as a yard hand perhaps or a forklift driver and after a few years they may need LGV drivers and decide to train one of their own staff.
This is unlikely these days though as most employers can just put an ad in the paper etc and get an experienced LGV driver quite quickly.

Being under 25 also has a great disadvantage as insurers are very reluctant to insure those under 25 and load the companys’ excess premiums so high that it is not worth the company taking the risk

I have known young people like yourself get into this industry but usually through a family business or close family friend who has there own haulage business.

Do Stobbies still do their training scheme?? That might be one to look into. Failing that I have heard of at least one of the big boys training their own warehouse staff.

Unfortunatly this was a couple of years back when there was a shortage in some areas. I don’t know if either of these schemes would operate now with a surplas of drivers.

As Rog says, you may have to do some yard work to get that “foot in the door”

first of all welcome. dont want to dampen a young eager spirit but unfortunately as rog says that is not how this industry works. you will struggle unless you know someone in the industry. you can do an nvq or young drivers scheme which may help. try the job centre for funding but most funding relies on you paying upfront then you receive a payment on passing your test. by all means keep asking the big boys stobbies do a new driver training scheme but that is only at certain depots and their is a list of criteria that must be met. keep up the entheusiasim mate. good luck :smiley:

briandavies158:
you can do an nvq or young drivers scheme which may help

you can only do the DGV NVQ if you are in a driving job.
The YDS is no more as the age for LGV drivers will be 18 from 10 Sept this year

Hi again,

Thanks for your replys.

I’m begining to think i’ll have to wait till I’m 25 i think. Every company I speak to won’t employ anyone under 25 including stobart.

I’m not gunna stop looking tho, and will keep checking this site.

If anyone reading this is wanting to employ someone to train up and work for them, you’ve found your man.

Cheer-i-o.

dan.

Semtex:
Do Stobbies still do their training scheme?? That might be one to look into. Failing that I have heard of at least one of the big boys training their own warehouse staff.

Unfortunatly this was a couple of years back when there was a shortage in some areas. I don’t know if either of these schemes would operate now with a surplas of drivers.

As Rog says, you may have to do some yard work to get that “foot in the door”

I’m pretty sure they stopped that when the took over Irlam and had a shed load of extra drivers, so it wasn’t needed. That’s what i heard anyway

dannicoll:
I’m 19years old and looking to find a company to train me up and to work for them as a professional HGV driver

This is probably the only way that you will get what you are looking for but it means being employed by a NVT registered company as perhaps a warehouseman, yardhand, an office clerk or whatever for a while.

There is a NEW DRIVER NVT scheme but this is only for employers who have registered for the NVT and the driver taking their first LGV licence is an employee.

FROM HERE
:
Driver CPC - National Vocational Training (NVT) Option
The LGV/PCV Driver Training Directive allows for new drivers who are working towards their Initial Driver CPC to undertake an approved National Vocational Training (NVT) programme alongside their Driver CPC.
The NVT option enables drivers who have achieved Module 1 and Module 3 to enrol on an approved NVT programme for up to 12 months whilst they complete their remaining Driver CPC modules. This effectively enables drivers to drive professionally for up to 12 months whilst they complete the Driver CPC. This 12 month period is known as an NVT Concession.
Drivers who take part in an approved NVT programme will not only gain their licence and initial Driver CPC but also an accredited national qualification such as an NVQ. Any of the following qualifications are approved for the NVT concession:
N/SVQ in Driving Goods Vehicles
N/SVQ in Carry and Deliver Goods
BTEC in Carry & Deliver Goods
It is important to note that the two qualifications (the Initial Driver CPC and the qualification followed as part of the NVT programme) will be assessed and awarded separately. The Driver CPC assessments will not be affected by performance on the qualification followed via the NVT Programme.
In order to benefit from the NVT concession, drivers will have to register with the Driving Standards Agency (DSA), providing evidence that they are registered on an approved qualification. They will be issued with a NVT concession card which is valid for up to one year. The concession will start from either the beginning of the NVT programme or the date when the driver acquires their vocational driving licence, which ever is the most recent.

Skills for Logistics 12 Warren Yard Warren Farm Office Village Milton Keynes MK12 5NW. Tel: 01908 313360 - they might have a list of those doing NVTs for this sort of thing in your area.