Wannabe mixer, grab or tipper driver

Hi all i have been working as a window fitter for over 15 years now and am fed up with it and want a career change. I’ve seen grab hire trucks, tippers and mixers on sites all over the UK and looks an enjoyable job. When I pass my class 2 what are my chances of getting employment without relivent experience? What tickets can I acquire to give the best chance? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Pennywise:
Hi all i have been working as a window fitter for over 15 years now and am fed up with it and want a career change. I’ve seen grab hire trucks, tippers and mixers on sites all over the UK and looks an enjoyable job. When I pass my class 2 what are my chances of getting employment without relivent experience? What tickets can I acquire to give the best chance? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Depends what companies are in your area mate. Tippers and mixers need no tickets beyond your license and many companies are willing to give new drivers a chance on these. For grabs, you’ll need your hiab ticket. Ask your instructor for local recommendations for training providers.

Try tipper. Its nice and easy. As a ltd you looking around £120 a day , usualy 8-9hours, because all quarries shut around 4,15-4:30. (minimum 10h paid), or
Around 10 p/h paye. You will get your induction day and its easier than it looks. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! Sounds great! There’s a Cemex plant about 3 miles from my house so that could be a possibility.
I’m in Derby BTW and there are a number of grab hire firms in derbys and notts. No quarries local though, I think tarmac is the closest one near Ashbourne. I would like to stay within the construction Sector so I don’t want to go down multi drop route. Is HGV training similar to when you have your driving lessons and then theory test then take your practical when your instructor says your ready? Or is it different?
Thanks for your help.Matt

If you want a bit of an advantage with the tippers/mixers, you could get your epic card. Costs about 100 quid and you will need it to work in quarries.

Pennywise:
Thanks for the replies! Sounds great! There’s a Cemex plant about 3 miles from my house so that could be a possibility.
I’m in Derby BTW and there are a number of grab hire firms in derbys and notts. No quarries local though, I think tarmac is the closest one near Ashbourne. I would like to stay within the construction Sector so I don’t want to go down multi drop route. Is HGV training similar to when you have your driving lessons and then theory test then take your practical when your instructor says your ready? Or is it different?
Thanks for your help.Matt

99.9% of LGV trainers book the test for the last day of your 3/4/5 day course

There are some which can accommodate you doing a Saturday morning every week then book the test when you are deemed ready