Wannabe driver

Hello guys,

I have decided I want a change in career and I think driving a HGV is the career for me. Before I make my final decision in after some advice.

Red rose is the closest training centre to me, has anyone had any experiences with them good or bad?

Once passed how difficult is it to get a foot in the door for a job?

Can anyone recommend the best trainer around the Bury area.

Thanks

No idea about training companies in your area so sorry can’t help in that area.

Regarding getting your foot in the door -

Always try and meet face to face. Go knocking on doors. Don’t bother with email or phone calls because they will just get binned off. Mainly because of your experience.

You will get turned down but keep going.

I started years ago when the market was flooded with drivers but rocking up and presenting yourself well and being honest about your lack of experience but enthusiastic counts for hell of a lot.

Another option is agency but bear in mind you will get the crap no one wants but it all counts as experience. Others will tell you more about this route as I’ve never done it.

Why do you want to be a driver what do you no about driving?

Would this be Red Rose Training at Kersley/Radcliffe? If so I believe they have quite a good reputation. My old company used to send us there for tacho/drivers regs refreshers before we started doing it in house. Quite a good set and offer pretty much what other big trainers do. C, C+E, ADR Hi-Ab etc. If you’re Manchester based I’d highly recommend Enterprise LGV in east Manchester.

I used Red Rose. Can’t fault them in any way. Really helpful and professional. With banter thrown in for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manclad75:
I used Red Rose. Can’t fault them in any way. Really helpful and professional. With banter thrown in for good measure.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Did you do yours over a 5 day course? They have advised me against doing it over 2 weekends.

Gaz L:

manclad75:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Did you do yours over a 5 day course? They have advised me against doing it over 2 weekends.

Yes mate four days training and test on the fifth. Worked well for me but if not an option then have a word they will do weekends if that’s your only option.

Yes, Red Rose have had good reviews on this forum!

Thanks for your help.

does anybody know of any decent agencies around the Bury/Bolton area?

Is it possible to do weekend work while I gain experience rather than leave a full time job and not be able to find anything.

Gaz L:
Thanks for your help.

Is it possible to do weekend work while I gain experience rather than leave a full time job and not be able to find anything.

In three years of agency work, I have had ONE weekend job.

Did you find it easy getting work with agency when you first started?

Gaz L:
Thanks for your help.

Not Bolton or Bury but if you can travel another 10 miles up the road there’s a rake of them in Manchester. Pertemps, Top Gear, DBR, Contact Industrial, Driver Hire, Connections.

I used Staff UK in Bolton. I had work from them as a newbie. I found them to be very good, and if I didn’t like a particular job, then they found me something else. I only did a couple of weekend days (literally), as I like to keep my weekends, but they did sometimes ask if I wanted to work them. A polite no thank-you never caused me any problems, but probably shows that at that time (18 months ago), they had weekend work, which they could not place drivers in.

You should be able to get a start somewhere depends on what type of work you want to do.

alix776:
You should be able to get a start somewhere depends on what type of work you want to do.

Im open to doing anything to gain the experience.

Manchester airport have got the seasonal vacancies which I am considering just to get the driving under my belt.