Wannabe driver

Hi all.

I’ve been reading the forum over the last couple of days as driving professionally is something that I am seriously considering - I want a career change. To this end, I have a few questions as some of the (very helpful) info on the stickied threads is a few years out of date now and was posted when the recession really began to bite.

Something that I am worried about is a career change at my age; I’m 34. I have read a few of the threads on this forum and there seems to be a split in opinion over the opportunities currently available for new drivers. I live in the West Midlands - does anyone know how it is here for newbies? Will my age count against me?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Go for it mate. Im 30 and newbie. Got a job after the first call to an agency. In west midland area is full of offers. Even if they say they want experience you still have a big chance. Just apply for all jobs and I bet in 2 weeks after you have everything sorted (licence dqc and digicard) youll find something.

Good luck.

34 pifft just a young whippersnapper no reason for not doing you licence there are jobs out there you do have to look mind but be careful of the now as it may go quiet in jan/feb always does

I would not recommend giving up a day job just yet mind but a read of this

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118884

BTW he is just 22

A lot of agency work about for the xmas rush but still very little full time perm work

Demand will drop off a lot in January but by how far this time remains to be seen as demand is deffo picking up

The holding of the licence for X amount of time seems to be going out the window

Glad you read the stickies as that should stop you being ripped off

Remember to tick C & D only on the D2 form and never pay more than £60 for the D4 medical

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the chances of getting work are promising - even if I have to stick it out during January. Getting ripped off does concern me - can anyone recommend a training school in the West Mids?

Google reveals these companies:

1: topgear-lgv.com/

2: westgatedrivertraining.co.uk … aining.asp

3: centraltransporttraining.co.uk/

Check out the schools listed within the link in my signature below

We have many folks from W.Midlands come to us. All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Wow he wants to worry at 34 , I’m about to start class c at 52 and I’m not that bothered

I was 45 when I got my Group C licence, 50 when I went for C+E.

Hiya
Did my class 1 with Westgate and class 2 with CTT both excellent not sure where in west mids you are but Winner recruitment in streetly village are really good 0121 353 1661 ask for Nick.

Plenty of agency work about atm so good luck

Jeff.

I did my C licence with NTS in Norwich and got on a company’s train to employ scheme , passed my C+E with them
Got offered a job that afternoon , but I got a better offer from my current employer to stay where I was
Anyway since agreeing to stay got offered an interview at a local firm doing curtain siders , went for an interview at foulgers running beet on Saturdays to keep my hand in , got offered full time work there too , and I’ve still got the offer of work from the company I trained with !!
There is work out there for you and it doesn’t have to be agency work !! Maybe this driver shortage is true !!

I’m 41 and female and I’m currently on the road to a career in HGV driving (all being well), so if I can make it, you certainly can at 34. Good luck and enjoy :slight_smile:

Doesn’t matter how old you are when you get your licence its the wanting to do it that counts

I’ve just sent my application for provisional entitlement off… I’m 33 and been offered help with training too. So good luck to us both mate

Thanks for the encouragement and replies, everyone!

After a busy time at work I’m on this now - booked onto my medical and on the same day they sit down with you and get all of your forms filled out and sent off to the DVLA. Costs £50, which I think is ok. Then they book you in for a free assessment drive. Looking forward to it!