Wannabe Driver, help please

Okay so I want to get into HGV training and want to go for the Cat C, maybe Cat C+E afterwards.

Now I’m located in Portsmouth, Hampshire and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what training company to go for.

So far I’m eyeing 2 Start Ltd, has anyone had any experience with this company before?

Thanks.

I have my cat c with them starting on monday have heard good things about them. I will let you know how it goes if you want me to. If all goes well then i will also be doing my c+e with them aswell.

halfers:
I have my cat c with them starting on monday have heard good things about them. I will let you know how it goes if you want me to. If all goes well then i will also be doing my c+e with them aswell.

Okay thanks. Yeah let me know how it goes. Good luck :slight_smile:

I’ve heard good things from 2 start, the only other option in Portsmouth is roadwise lgv just off eastern road. Bit cheaper but an old S reg MAN slapover.

Cheers, you also have bypass which is eastleigh way if you dont mind travelling a bit. Not to far from portsmouth

Check out the link in my signature below :smiley:

Be interested to see what people think of 2Start! Hoping to use them as soon as DVLA sort my provisional!

Cheers for the link ROG, it did clear up a lot of questions that I did have or might have had. I just hope I won’t have too many brain-■■■■■ with the gearbox. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way what is most common gearbox? And can it sometimes depend on the manufacturer of the vehicle for which gearbox you’ll have?

Praeceps:
By the way what is most common gearbox?

For training or afterwards?

post training I would say auto

I start mine at 1400 with 2start in their cf rigid. I think thats 4 over 4 but i am not sure.

So have just completed my training (day1). I had ken from their he was a nice bloke. Office staff are friendly and most of all good tips given from ken whilst on the drive. The truck itself was in good condition was an automatic daf cf so no complaints with that they do have another scania rigid but thats manual. I also asked about the artic which is also automatic. Hope this helps good luck when you decide where to train.

IMO
Learn in a manual,
Your then ready or familiar with range and splits

crunch463:
IMO
Learn in a manual,

WHAT IF THE TRAINING VEHICLE HAS A SLAPOVER BOX - not a 4 over 4 or a split on that !

No matter what you train on you will need to learn loads of other types post test so it makes no difference

Learn in a manual,

How?? Surely you’d only be familiar with the one you’ve trained on. IMO you may as well train on auto and have the hassles of “interesting” gearboxes post test. I operate both so I think it’s a good idea to have an hour on manual after the test and without the pressure.

It takes a long while before anyone can say they’re confident with any gearbox thrown at them.

To each their own!

Pete

Peter Smythe:

How?? Surely you’d only be familiar with the one you’ve trained on. IMO you may as well train on auto and have the hassles of “interesting” gearboxes post test. I operate both so I think it’s a good idea to have an hour on manual after the test and without the pressure.

It takes a long while before anyone can say they’re confident with any gearbox thrown at them.

To each their own!

Pete

Hi Pete
Forgive my naivety I’m a total newbie, so am i right in thinking that you can take a test in a auto & you are qualified to drive both unlike a car.

Regards,
Jeff. :sunglasses:

I have learned to respect both Rog and Pete on these forums, but on this occasion I disagree with Pete.

I made sure my C+E was in a manual truck. I think it is important to become familiar with the whole routine on junction approaches - positioning, planning, mirrors, blind spots, road reading AND gear selection. If you can drive a manual then an auto is one less thing to worry about. However, if you learn in an auto and you get a real world assessment in a manual then that is one MORE thing to worry about which might make all the difference.

And yes, these days you can test in an auto and it qualifies you for manual also. I assume this is LGVs only but I could be wrong.

YorkshireJeff:
am i right in thinking that you can take a test in a auto & you are qualified to drive both unlike a car.

YES

If you have passed a manual test in a car then any passes in auto LGVs or PCVs will also give manual

ORC:
I have learned to respect both Rog and Pete on these forums, but on this occasion I disagree with Pete.

I made sure my C+E was in a manual truck. I think it is important to become familiar with the whole routine on junction approaches - positioning, planning, mirrors, blind spots, road reading AND gear selection. If you can drive a manual then an auto is one less thing to worry about. However, if you learn in an auto and you get a real world assessment in a manual then that is one MORE thing to worry about which might make all the difference.

And yes, these days you can test in an auto and it qualifies you for manual also. I assume this is LGVs only but I could be wrong.

I like the thought of an easier test but agree that having some familiarity with a manual is important. I’m thinking a couple of days training in a manual then switching to an auto for remainder of training could be a good idea. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I’m basing this opinion on an hour’s trial with a 4 over 4 manual last week with a local company but not necessarily who I will take my training with.

ORC:

Peter’s ultimate aim is to get the candidate to a standard to pass the DSA test, not to provide training to assist with future assessments (although some trainers will go the extra mile).

There’s no doubt that an auto box is the easiest way to pass the test. I’m sure every candidate, given the choice, would rather pass in an auto than fail in a manual. Training can always be provided in a manual after passing in an auto if a newbie does not feel confident enough.

Thank you all for the replies.
I am at the moment in the throws of considering a career change, i have been self employed for the last 25yrs in the construction industry & have all ways yearned for the open road ( that’s to say i enjoy driving :slight_smile: ).
The thing is i will be fifty this year & despite having the philosophy of your never to old to try something new, i wonder how a fifty year old new driver would be looked upon by prospective employers.

Regards,
Jeff. :sunglasses: