Wanna be wanna be truck driver

Hi guys very new to forum.i an mo ving to uk with My family in a couple of months and would like to continue My career as a truck driver and I would like to ask you pros some questions please.

Is it true there’s a 50000 shortage on lgv drivers in UK?

Is that true I can make 30k 34k a year ?

Thank you guys…

SM-J500F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

There is NO driver shortage - if there was then newbies would be snapped uo the moment they passed the test and the adverts would be mainly by companies and not agencies

Welcome pal! :smiley:

sairahmet20:
Is it true there’s a 50000 shortage on lgv drivers in UK?

Not a chance, these no shortage of drivers on agency work with crap hourly rates…

sairahmet20:
Is that true I can make 30k 34k a year ?

If you want to do 60-70 hours a week then yes…

Sorry, but don’t believe the hype pal! :neutral_face:

Yes you can make 30-34k a year. You just may end up working more hours than you would like for that amount of money. That being said I’ve never had what I would consider to be a bad job driving, and if you look around enough there are good employers out there, with good terms, and good kit. But just the like the drivers, there are plenty of ■■■■ ones about too.

No there is no shortage of drivers. Just a shortage of good drivers.

F-reds:
Yes you can make 30-34k a year. You just may end up working more hours than you would like for that amount of money. That being said I’ve never had what I would consider to be a bad job driving, and if you look around enough there are good employers out there, with good terms, and good kit. But just the like the drivers, there are plenty of [zb] ones about too.

No there is no shortage of drivers. Just a shortage of good drivers & employers.

FTFY! :smiley:

As it can’t be denied that lots of operations are more than happy to employ their staff via agency…

So how much earn as a truck driver ? And do u get enough time with your families?

Evil8Beezle:

F-reds:
Yes you can make 30-34k a year. You just may end up working more hours than you would like for that amount of money. That being said I’ve never had what I would consider to be a bad job driving, and if you look around enough there are good employers out there, with good terms, and good kit. But just the like the drivers, there are plenty of [zb] ones about too.

No there is no shortage of drivers. Just a shortage of good drivers & employers.

FTFY! :smiley:

As it can’t be denied that lots of operations are more than happy to employ their staff via agency…

Cheers Beeze.

You’ll note I agree with you in the paragraph above!

We aren’t all lucky enough to have Madam Albion as a gaffer… :wink:

sairahmet20:
So how much earn as a truck driver ? And do u get enough time with your families?

It varies around the country, somewhat linked to living costs, which is also a factor you need to consider.
It’s all very well saying about £10 an hour, but unless you know all the living costs that have to come out of that wage, it’s pretty meaningless.

Then you have 2 ends of the spectrum when it comes to employment.
Some jobs are short hours with no overtime at all, and the rest just want far too many hours which are basically compulsory.
There isn’t a great deal of middle ground, so you end up with a choice of 20k+ a year and a life, or 30k+ a year and no life! :cry:

F-reds:
We aren’t all lucky enough to have Madam Albion as a gaffer… :wink:

Yeah I can’t get the image out of my head! :open_mouth:

:laughing:

What about buying your own truck ?

sairahmet20:
What about buying your own truck ?

No no and no .

As above!

But if you can afford to run at a loss to compete or take work off the bigger boys, then knock yourself out…
They can afford it at times as it can be supported by more lucrative areas of a contract, and it’s only a fraction of the work.
It it would be 100% of your work…

Don’t do it! :laughing:

Thank you so much guys you changed my opinions better do what I know and go back to service catering business

sairahmet20:
Thank you so much guys you changed my opinions better do what I know and go back to service catering business

Maybe look around the area you live in later, but dont come here expecting big money for short hours. And your attitude is almost unknown on this site, many come on asking for advice but really only wanting confirmation of their own preconceptions. So ask again any time, and Im sure you`ll be welcome.

When I worked at one place we had class 1 drivers from other countries driving 7.5t trucks because no one not even agencies would take them on as class 1 driver with no UK driving experience. Having been out with a few of them I could see why.

I like others don’t believe their is a shortage. I think that’s just an excuse to drive down wages.

You can earn the wages you said but it will be long hours and might need to work nights.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If there was a shortage wages would go up to get and retain drivers

sairahmet20:

If you are looking for family time then the majority of work involving trucks is not for you. Most but not all.

There is no shortage of drivers…Not in the South East anyway.
It’s taken me months to get into class 2 work. I’m signed with 4 agencies. I have my first class 2 driving assessment on Tuesday.

The job is: 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts at an airport. Breaks are not paid so it’s actually a 11 hour 15 minute shift.

I’ve found many agencies are advertising jobs that simply don’t exist.

Sound like a shortage to you ? :frowning: