Wanna be truckin

Hi, what’s it like as a new driver finding work? I’m seriously thinking of changing jobs, I was a posty for 10 year, then started in a factory job, not the best move, been doing this for 6yr. Just looking for info/help to see if it’ll be worth while spending a good few quid on training and getting the licences for the c+e

Im starting my training soon. Only you can decide if it is the right job for you. Loads of people will tell you not to do it, its ■■■■ etc…
Everybody is different.

Well not easy as a new driver but there is work out there if you look hard enough but please dont give up day job for agency as that can be un reliable they will promise you the world & deliver nowt

If you really want to do it then look round for a good trainer please dont go with a broker as they will charge you more visit several providers talk to them as if you can sit in 1 of there lorries to see the size

The work can vary can be physical demanding can work upto 15 hr days thee are quite a few rules you will have to know but they can be learnt at a later date there are quite a lot that are tramping can be away all week unsociable hours

Money not that good although is getting a bit better up here in the North East is from £7.00 ph or £450 pw this is average
dont think you are on you own as a lot of lorries have trackers now the boss can be on the phone a lot timed deliveries some unrealistic btw can be limited to 52 mph ok some arnt

P05TY:
good few quid on training and getting the licences for the c+e

A few quid■■? and the rest.

What draws you to driving?

Always fancied doing it, wanted to do it at Royal Mail but they didn’t want to put me through the tests at the time, understandable now as I no the cost, but enjoyed driving the vans, I coved the days off so every day was different, I liked the rural runs and industrial estates, and the current job involves a bit of driving, anywhere from Blackpool to Newcastle Liverpool to Carlisle, but that’s not that often now as work has increased and the company has hired part time drivers, [PENSIVE FACE]

Well in that case, I say go for it. But as already said do not give up your day job, it is a long process getting all the way to C+E, especially as haulage company’s are now requiring drivers to have full or at least part of there CPC completed.

Good Luck. :wink:

I was in your position 2 years ago. I have paid for my training at a cost of £3000. Did some agency work before being offered a perminant position by SPAR and I earned £590 last week for about 60 hours. GO FOR IT!!!