Wanna be trucker - licence endorsement

Hi everyone, newbie member here :slight_smile:

I have been looking at doing my class 2 training for a few weeks now; I’ve had my medical, sent off for my provisional licence, bought the theory books and am starting to get in to revising!
However, I have been watching Youtube videos and one set alarm bells off for me because he was struggling to get a job due to an IN10 on his licence. I also have an IN10 on my licence which is due to expire next year.
I have called a couple of agencies and companies, the information I get regarding this is a bit conflicting. Some think it would be OK and I wouldn’t wait that long to get a job but I’ve also been told not to bother doing my test and wait until the endorsement is off.
Any insight from anyone would be great, I’m feeling a bit stuck and don’t know what to do now!

TIA :slight_smile:

When you say “expire” is that the time when it completely comes off licence?

For example I’ve a speeding that expires in 2yrs but will be on my licence for another 2yrs I think after that.

You can still do your test then it’ll count up to time held whilst looking for a job

I think you’ll struggle until the IN10 is completely off licence and doesn’t show up on any endorsement check a company will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably will restrict your opportunities like having more than six points etc, it just depends on a client’s specifications and if you meet the criteria or not.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. The endorsement will come off my licence next year but I will need to disclose it to insurance companies for another year afterwards google says shrugs.

I’ve got no points, I had a small ban for two weeks as I was a new driver at the time and any points would have meant my licence would have been revoked.

If I had more money available I’d say stuff it and do the test but I’ve saved the money for a while and doing the test will mean my back up funds are almost entirely depleted. What I don’t want to do as well is spend the money and then sit on a licence for 1 or 2 years not getting any experience and then basically have to relearn on the job.

A guy I spoke to yesterday also said that new drivers struggle to get on insured for 2 years due to a probation period? Is this true?

B1GR3D:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. The endorsement will come off my licence next year but I will need to disclose it to insurance companies for another year afterwards google says shrugs.

I’ve got no points, I had a small ban for two weeks as I was a new driver at the time and any points would have meant my licence would have been revoked.

You need to clarify what you mean by “off” licence.

If it’s completely off and doesn’t show up when you self check your licence for endorsements then I don’t think you have to declare it to anyone!

That’s what I meant by my speeding, it’s “expires” but it’s not “off” my licence for an extra 2yrs

Big difference when looking for a job

B1GR3D:
A guy I spoke to yesterday also said that new drivers struggle to get on insured for 2 years due to a probation period? Is this true?

Generally true. Some companies want you to have held for 2yrs, others want 2yrs actual experience

That’s why if you can afford I suggested you get the licence then time held is clocking up all the time.

For experience you could look for 7.5t and then say you’ve commercial experience. Maybe easier to get that type work and move up when an opportunity arises, though I’m not sure tbh. Just an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the endorsement expires in a year but won’t be off my licence for two years as I will have to declare it for a further year once it’s expired. The money is there at the moment but I can’t afford to invest in something and not get a return for minimum 2 years as it’s literally all the money I have saved! Thanks for your help though guys.

Save the money and spend it on car insurance

B1GR3D:

On the IN10, your chances of getting insured on a commercial vehicle is virtually nil. Even our lot who aren’t desperately worried about points etc will not allow certain codes inc IN10, DD10, DR10 etc.

Personally I don’t see why IN10 affects insurance that isn’t yours, but that seems to be the case.

One thing that might cause problems is the ban. Every place I’ve worked has asked if I’ve been banned. Not sure if there’s any way to check and how long that lasts for, but insurance is a weird thing.

Once its gone then it’ll be worth looking at it, but you really sure you want to drive trucks!?

Something you may not have thought of is the insurance on a training vehicle. Ours is fine, but some companies exclude IN10, DR10 on their cover. So check with your proposed trainer otherwise you could end up with yet another IN10!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: