Walter Hales

I worked for Walter hales ltd for about 20 years. But was around from the age of 5 as my dad was the trailer fitter.Nice to see some of the old trucks I drove especially E106CGY. I recognise the drivers in the pics. The last one is cliff fielding, he still drives, at JMD on containers as do I and 3 other x hales lads. And yes they did use 1of the trucks on brook side.

I well remember them in Lightbody Street, a couple of doors down from Bowker’s yard.

I remember going across to pick up an empty trailer one night, with Bowker’s garage shunt unit - must have been about 1984 - and the yard key had been left with Hales.

Their night watchman was so afraid of the goings on in the street, that he wouldn’t let me in, only hand the key through the gate!

has he finished mike???last time i saw one of his was at j41 must be 12 months or more ago.he used to have a wagon based in st james market bradford day man loaded fruit and veg round liverpool night man did the markets on a night :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

all the fleet was auctioned off last year saw the ad in commercial motor!

the whole counties transport will be done by yellow or green trucks soon! :blush:

peterq5422:
all the fleet was auctioned off last year saw the ad in commercial motor!

Not entirely correct, part of it was sold off, Hales Transport I think, Walter Hales Group / Hales Freight/Hales Transport is still in operation, they concentrate on the Ireland - UK Market.

Theres that many off shoots of the Hales operation, all in the same livery.

The One that was sold off was part of the group. My brother did work for them and was owed a few quid went they went into liquidation. He finally got paid out a couple of months ago, but only got 50 pence in every pound he was owed.

At least he got sumtin

here hales freight dublin new hino at the irish truck show

I`ve seen a couple of Magnums in the Hales Freight colours on the A55 most nights

paul mc:
here hales freight dublin new hino at the irish truck show

Thanks Paul, my mate will have a duck egg when he see’s that !!

Wasn’t one of their motors featured in the tv soap ‘Brookside’ too?

They still have about 30 lorries based in Dublin, at one time they were based in the Port area it appears now that they have moved to an industrial estate on the outskirts of Dublin.

http://www.halesfreight.ie/index.html