Wallasey Tunnel and Artics

As I have never used this tunnel but may be next week I thought it best to look at their website for the maximum height etc. I found the following info.

“For vehicles using the Wallasey (Kingsway) Tunnel then the maximum permitted vehicle dimensions are 5m in height, 2.9m in width and 12.2m in length.”

It says that the maximum length is 12.2m or 40ft? That says to me that artics can’t go through being 55ft?

So I’ve probably answered my own question here but does anyone take arctics through this tunnel?

Cheers

I know a driver who went through the other one,cost him £180 in fines for that mistake. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :grimacing:

How long has that been the case? Before I went to Canada in 2009 I used it on numerous occasions with 13.6m length trailers and neither got pulled for it or saw any signs saying it was forbidden?! I am thinking of the right tunnel I presume, the one that links on to the M53 at Wallasey/Birkenhead etc?

You may be thinking of the Birkenhead tunnel which has a weight limit that prohibits HGV’s?

I’m asking about the Wallasey tunnel that has a weight restriction of 38 tons? The reason being I’m sure I’ve heard other artic drivers saying that they have used this tunnel?

Havent worked the UK in a few years,but never seem to remember any problem going thriugh it with longer 13.6m trailers. Isnt there another tunnel on Merseyside(the Queensway■■?)that is considerably tighter for HGVs.Think it`s near the University.
Sorry not very certain,as,it has been a few years.

m4rky:
So I’ve probably answered my own question here but does anyone take arctics through this tunnel?

I’ve been through several times in recent years in an artic tipper which although shorter than a 40/45’ curtainsider is still well over 40’ overall in length once you include the unit on the front. I don’t recall any signs at either end of the tunnel stating that I wasn’t allowed through.

Paul

We regularly send hazardous artic tankers through - they require a police ■■■■■■, so if we weren’t supposed to go that way I’m sure the police would have said something by now.

We have drivers using it 2-5 times a day, all over 50’ long and up to 44T. Never had a problem.

Paul

m4rky:
As I have never used this tunnel but may be next week I thought it best to look at their website for the maximum height etc. I found the following info.

“For vehicles using the Wallasey (Kingsway) Tunnel then the maximum permitted vehicle dimensions are 5m in height, 2.9m in width and 12.2m in length.”

It says that the maximum length is 12.2m or 40ft? That says to me that artics can’t go through being 55ft?

Cheers

I think you may be getting mixed up with the mersey tunnel,ive been thro. the wallesey tunnel scores of times with 13.4mt trls no probs.
regards dave.

ive been through both tunnels a million times but i cant for the life of me remember if ive been through in an artic ( although im sure i must have )… ive deffo been through in an 8 wheeler with a 60 yrd waste bin on and they are quite tall , only 32T though …

correct me if im wrong but dont double decker buses go through ?

ive just remembered summat , i went through the north tunnel a few weeks ago and loaded this .

although its not a tall trailer its running at 44T , but that was the north tunnel not the south one . i can never remember which is which … :blush:

The north tunnel is the one that runs on to and from the M53 and the one I’ve been through dozens of times. I just google street viewed the tunnel and the approach to it from the Liverpool side and there is nothing about a length limit, only height, width and axle weight.

From memory the northern tunnel (Kingsway) is a straight tunnel with no bends so a length limit would be totally pointless. The south tunnel (Queensway / Mersey tunnel) has a large curve / bend in it at the Liverpool end so if anythings got a length limit it’d be that one.

Also to avoid confusion, unlike the Blackwall tunnels…these Mersey tunnels are totally seperate entities in different places and each tunnel runs in both directions. So the northern tunnel that runs to and from the M53 has the same limits and restrictions going both ways.

m4rky:

Cheers

From the Mersey tunnels website, Byelaws covering the tunnels.

http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/byelaws.pdf

Kingsway Tunnels
(f) vehicles the height of which (including any load) exceeds 5.00 metres;
(g) vehicles the length of which (including any load) exceeds 12.20 metres;
and vehicles and trailers the combined length of which (including any
load or loads and drawbar) exceeds 18.30 metres;
(h) vehicles the gross weight of which (including any load) exceeds 38
tonnes;
(i) vehicles the width of which (including any load) exceeds 2.90 metres;
and

Queensway Tunnel
(a) vehicles the height of which (including any load) exceeds 3.90 metres;
(b) vehicles without trailers the length of which (including any load or loads
and drawbar), or vehicles and trailers the combined length of which
(including any load or loads), exceeds 12.00 metres;
(c) vehicles the gross permitted weight of which (including any load)
exceeds 3.5 tonnes;
(d) vehicles the width of which (including any load) exceeds 2.70 metres;

So it would seem everything is okay except the gross weight thing which must be a throw back from our 38 ton days. Given that it’d be the plated weight of the vehicle, that rule obviously is not enforced as the vast majority of trucks going through must be plated at 44 tons.

no hgvs through the birkenhead one the one thats at the end of the A41 if you use it you may be fined
hgvs are to use the wallasey one at the end of the M53 you can stop before the tunnel and ask advice at the police cabin if your unsure weather to use it hope this helps :smiley:

Cheers for all of the replies :smiley:

I’ll go through the Wallasey tunnel (North at the end of the M53) next week :smiley:

No probs with the Wallasey tunnel. Just don’t break down it the ■■■■■■ or your boss won’t be happy with the recovery fees they like to charge. We go through it with every firm including 16ft double deckers for ASDA ! Just don’t go for the old Birkenhead tunnel like an ASDA agency driver tried to do on Wednesday :blush:

wallasey is fine for a 44ton artic mate. dont get it mixed up with the birkenhead one though :laughing:

I seem to remember a 33’ length limit on one which was necessary for the exit road, not the actual tunnel, or am I thinking of the London tunnels