Walkround checks

can anyone tell me (with official links to back it up) if it is an infringement not to show 15 Min other work on you tacho,
In other words can I just show 10 Mins if that is all it takes me?
Secondly is an overrun an infringement? I personally spoke to vosa on the roadside and he told me it wasn’t,
but when i asked for written proof he told me things that your not supposed to do was not in writing only things only things that you must do.
that kinda made sense to me so i would expect to see something like you must prevent your vehicle from going over the limited it’s speed.

theshed:
can anyone tell me (with official links to back it up) if it is an infringement not to show 15 Min other work on you tacho,
In other words can I just show 10 Mins if that is all it takes me?

it is not an infringement to show less than 15 mins pre checks. You should record what it actually takes you. I’m assuming of course your employer has not told you that he wants you to spend 15 mins checking it?

theshed:
Secondly is an overrun an infringement? I personally spoke to vosa on the roadside and he told me it wasn’t,
but when i asked for written proof he told me things that your not supposed to do was not in writing only things only things that you must do.
that kinda made sense to me so i would expect to see something like you must prevent your vehicle from going over the limited it’s speed.

I thought an overspeed of the vehicle was an infringement, i.e you are getting it to, or allowing it to go over its restricted speed. The vehicle operator has picked up on this and mentioned it to you? His vehicle is limited in road speed, you’re going over it. How is it not an infringement?

Well as the motorway speed limit is 60 and the limiters are set at various limits what is the exact infringment the overrun is surely a warning that the limiter maybe faulty

My walk around checks don’t take long at all because I drive the same truck every day. I check it everytime I tip and give it a clean off and check over every night. Tonight I torqued the wheel nuts and had a good look over her. I’d much rather be changing tyres bulbs etc at 6 then at 6.30-7 in the morning so tommorrow morning it’s a case off dip the oil, check the tyres and lights and I’m good to go. Ill show all off 5 minutes probably but I fill a defect sheet out just for some proof that I’ve actually checked it. If vosa ever question it they can see I’m showing other work every night and not just pulling my card and going home as soon as the wheels stop turning. Obviously if you drive a different motor every shift then it’s going to take you longer to do it properly but I know my motor and I know when something’s not tight or if any body work was loose etc because it would only have been me that broke it.

theshed:
Well as the motorway speed limit is 60 and the limiters are set at various limits what is the exact infringment the overrun is surely a warning that the limiter maybe faulty

Did you defect it?
Its my understanding that speeding will get you three points and a fine. Over running the limiter gets you an infringement.

To theshed , here’s some reading for you and there’s plenty more on the subject if you do a search…viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105678

It’s factual official links im looking for after reserching these two points i can only find drivers opinions

theshed:

theshed:
It’s factual official links im looking for after reserching these two points i can only find drivers opinions

I doubt you’ll find an official document that says 15 minute vehicle checks are not legally required, if the powers that be was to publish such a document they would also have to publish documents to say that 20 minutes or 10 minutes or 12 minutes are also not legally required.

Laws tell you what you must or must not do, off hand I can’t think of a single law that says what you can do or need not do (though I’ve no doubt some smart arse will think of something :smiley: ).

In fact I don’t think you’ll find an official document that says that vehicle checks are legally required, because as far as I’m aware they are not, they are however expected by VOSA, and if you was involved in an accident because of something that could or should have been spotted on a vehicle check I think you could reasonably expect the [zb] to hit the fan.

On the other hand it may be that an operator could be putting his operators licence at risk by not seeing that drivers do proper vehicle checks, an owner driver would probably know more about that than I do.

The over-speed warning has nothing to do with the tachograph being faulty, it is set at the maximum stabilised speed for the vehicle, don’t ask me what “stabilised speed” means though :confused: :slight_smile:

I’m under the impression that an over-speed event does not incur an infringement but I could be wrong, certainly I haven’t been able to find anything in the enforcement sanctions policy about a fine so I assume it’s not an infringement, but I could be wrong so I’ll wait to be corrected.

Tachograph it is my understanding also that overrun is not an infringment and there is set time you must show for walkround checks is this was not the case lime you say it would be in black and white ie you must or must not do it but I keep getting told from various sources that these things are legal requirements and all I can say if that is so show me

theshed:
Tachograph it is my understanding also that overrun is not an infringment and there is set time you must show for walkround checks is this was not the case lime you say it would be in black and white ie you must or must not do it but I keep getting told from various sources that these things are legal requirements and all I can say if that is so show me

The legal requirement as per walk round checks = that the driver of such a vehicle does so knowing that there are NO visible defects or defects known to him or her. (RoG will find the exact piece of info)
over speed is where the vehicle passes a point of speed where by the engine is no longer providing movement in which case you are actually coasting which is an offence as you have reduced control in some degree of the said vehicle …( some Merc’s I’ve will drop out of gear into neutral when the engine is no longer providing forward propulsion)

That’s what I was always told and that was years ago

Walkround checks are a part of vehicle maintenance and a record must be kept is the 15 mins that or of question runover you only know you have done when the warning comes on and unless you’ve got your head in the air at the time you don’t see immediately

Found it, page 128 - Enforcement Sanctions Policy.

Failure to record daily walk round check = VW

I don’t have time to look further right now, but as yet I haven’t seen any time for the checks mentioned, or anything more than a verbal warning for none compliance.

tachograph:
Found it, page 128 - Enforcement Sanctions Policy.

Failure to record daily walk round check = VW

I don’t have time to look further right now, but as yet I haven’t seen any time for the checks mentioned, or anything more than a verbal warning for none compliance.

but they have this disclaimer on page 6 :sunglasses:
This is not a legal document and must not be treated as an interpretation of the relevant legislation, which only the courts can provide.

Thanks for all your hard work so up to now the facts seem to be there is no such thing as 15 mins and nothing at out about overrun

Unless someone else can show different

theshed:
and nothing at out about overrun

Unless someone else can show different

Speed limitation legislation here…
Council Directive 92/6/EEC of 10 February 1992
An ammendment to it here…Directive 2002/85/EC
Article 3
1. Member States shall take the necessary measures to ensure that motor vehicles of categories N2 and N3 may be used on the road only if equipped with a speed limitation device set in such a way that their speed cannot exceed 90 kilometres per hour.

The jist of it is that the vehicle should not be capable of exceeding its limit.
It also has a sticker nearby to say the vehicle is limited (just in case anyone is unsure).
If it does exceed its limit and assuming the driver is not looking at the road speed as he’s supposed to do the tachograph should show a warning or event, they usually flash. To clear this you will have to look at it and press a button.
If you clear the event and do not report it as a defect/fault, how is it not an infringement? From where i’m sitting it would look like someone has been trying to overide the limiter and is complaining for being pulled over the fact.
Or lets suppose i’m just being a bit ■■■■ :smiley: What action do you think an operator should take if his vehicles show an overspeed of its limited speed , nothing?

havent read this in detail yet but from what you say it looks like what I said it’s a warning the limiter maybe faulty
By the way I no longer drive so not trying to get out of anything just general discussion amongst drivers

theshed:
havent read this in detail yet but from what you say it looks like what I said it’s a warning the limiter maybe faulty
By the way I no longer drive so not trying to get out of anything just general discussion amongst drivers

Yeah i appreciate that, but i think if its showing overspeeds and the driver isn’t saying anything you’d have to wonder why.

When I was working so many drivers would sign for infringements for overspeeding and I would take the stance that no I want speeding and I’m not signing to say I was it maybe used against me in the future

theshed:
When I was working so many drivers would sign for infringements for overspeeding and I would take the stance that no I want speeding and I’m not signing to say I was it maybe used against me in the future

I don’t think “speeding” as such is the issue. The issue is the limiter speed has been exceeded which it shouldn’t be able to do.

It’s never an issue until your employer makes it one then if you have signed you have agreed you have committed an infringment