Walking

Hi all,would it be possible to get any contacts in the walking floor Market,any contacts who sub work out etc
Cheers fodean

Why walking floors ?
What type of work ?

Interested in any kind of work

Have you got a tractor unit and trailer ? If so to what spec ?

gregorys, alan morris, williams, stobart, dent, jenkinson to name a few all have walking floors

Hi cheers for replying,I’m not set up as such in the walking game but been O/D for a while in the 8x4 tipper game

Hi mate, I am an OD with a walking floor. It is very dependent an what you want to do and who you want to work for, you need to make sure you have the correct trailer for the correct job, also the correct unit, it’s no good buying a magnum with a 6mm walking floor and roll over sheet if your doing waste for example.
Your best bet is to get some experience of walking floors first, speak to the drivers and see what mistakes they have made and what equipment they use. Also it is worth bearing in mind that a new walking floor trailer is almost as much to buy as new unit.
There are plenty of companies doing walking floor work, I don’t know where you are based but if you only want local work try local companies, here in Kent we have countrystyle and Thanet waste.

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

fodean:
Hi cheers for replying,I’m not set up as such in the walking game but been O/D for a while in the 8x4 tipper game

Fred Sherwood is in your neck of the woods :open_mouth:

I`d suggest whilst driving, pay little more attention to your “preferred subject”, as 3FH said, there are different types of WF, watch what the others are doing, landfill work is different to newspaper waste [or it was, when I was doing it]

And, as with any type of haulage, its dog eat dog out there :open_mouth:

well at my time within the walking floor sector i can tell you i collected everything from, newspapers,waste bags, biomass even scrap metal. and on back loads was usually pallets.
a bad or poorly maintained trailer will be unreliable to hell and cost you big time in the long run. careful routing the hydraulics aswell as a cat walk will shred it like a cheese grater

usual runs were council depos for all grades of waste.
pulp friction in erith
aylesford print
and a real nice place in peteborough, forgot its name

i carry newspaper waste to shotton & aylesford, recycled household waste to castle cement at ketton & mold, and a load of mixed rubbish to norwich all using the same Legras walking floor trailer its good work if you can get it.

mikey-t:
well at my time within the walking floor sector i can tell you i collected everything from, newspapers,waste bags, biomass even scrap metal. and on back loads was usually pallets.
a bad or poorly maintained trailer will be unreliable to hell and cost you big time in the long run. careful routing the hydraulics aswell as a cat walk will shred it like a cheese grater

pulp friction in erith
aylesford print

Now I’m stupid when it comes to walking floors but can I just ask how you do pallets? I get how you get them out, you walk them. But does it work backwards to get them in?

Francis

we used to have rubber mats that lay on the floor , the walker can move forwards or backwards selectable on a switch. the rubber mats help it glide out or in. its all down to the loading though, if one comes out of line it will just spin,. the pallets also need a bit of weight in them to walk otherwise they just stay stationary

ibson:

mikey-t:

pulp friction in erith
aylesford print

Now I’m stupid when it comes to walking floors but can I just ask how you do pallets? I get how you get them out, you walk them. But does it work backwards to get them in?

Francis

ideally you want the pallets to have a bit of weight on them, then unit suspension down and trailer suspension up, turn control box to loading and the floor will walk them in. or pallet truck them in same as boxvan, one point to note, if walking them in using the hydraulics WATCH OUT you dont walk them out through the front of the trailer, if they go sqinty when loading just walk them back the way to straighten them up, walk them out at delivery and its job done.

Seen that done a few times! Watch your bulkhead! Very easy to push them out! And make sure you sweep behind the push plate also as a build up can push the bottoms out!