Walking floor advice.

Boss just bought second hand walking floor trailer to do biomass work but also pallet work. However when loading pallets they start to twist when the walking floor starts to move. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? We can’t seem to resolve the issue, and we can’t carry pallet truck due to biomass being loaded/unloaded before picking up pallets. The floor does mot lift the pallets at all to help either. Any advice would ne great.

Never had that problem, but have only ever loaded pallets a couple of times and they were always side by side so stopped each other from doing it.

Os the floor flat or is it the ribbed type?

The floor should not lift anyway, its all done on friction and sliding

Not me, but my mate had this exact problem. It turns out there’s a switch (or a little lever, I can’t remember which) on the side of the trailer that says “on” and “off”. He switched it to “off” and the pallets stopped twisting. He reckons it switched the walking floor off. Hope this helps.

ezydriver:
Not me, but my mate had this exact problem. It turns out there’s a switch (or a little lever, I can’t remember which) on the side of the trailer that says “on” and “off”. He switched it to “off” and the pallets stopped twisting. He reckons it switched the walking floor off. Hope this helps.

I’m guessing from the post that the OP is loading somewhere where you have to walk the pallets on from the back, so switching the floor off won’t help.

Henrys cat:

ezydriver:

I’m guessing from the post that the OP is loading somewhere where you have to walk the pallets on from the back, so switching the floor off won’t help.

Ah, ok, I suggest investing in a pallet truck then.

Can you not fit some sort of rack on the outside of the trailer to hold a pallet truck, something like the fridge trailers have for pallets?

Don’t do what Stobarts did and load one with pallets of peat, that then expanded in the heat. Not much call for walking floor flat beds, but they ended up with one.

Think we are going to look at maybe building a frame for a pallet truck. The floor itself has no ridges on it. I think the pallets might not be heavy enough to actually move with the floor.

stuart75:
Think we are going to look at maybe building a frame for a pallet truck. The floor itself has no ridges on it. I think the pallets might not be heavy enough to actually move with the floor.

That was another thought I had afterward. I had a problem with some that had been loaded conventionally on a loading dock, but wouldn’t walk out to tip, luckily they had a pallet truck do just did it the normal way.

Not sure what headboard and mat you have but may be worth putting them on the mat if you load them with a pallet truck as this could help bring them all off at the other end by using the floor. I can’t do that as my mat has a plank of wood screwed to it to help clear everything out. I always have to lift it when loading any bales or pallets

There is no mat for whole floor only a small one attached to headboard. Looks like pallet truck will be way forward.

stuart75:
There is no mat for whole floor only a small one attached to headboard. Looks like pallet truck will be way forward.

Thats the one I was meaning, might not work if too light pallets, but the mat and headboard might help bring them all out when tipping.

My advice…

Would be to get a job driving fridges.

In my experience [3 years on walking floors and wish I’d got on them 30 years sooner before I retired!] first 2 pallets side by side on the mat and let the forklift put pressure on them as you walk them in so you have enough room on the back for the next 2 and let the forklift do the same (just enough pressure for the floor to move them, don’t let the f/l push them!) Do this for each pair and I think (hope) that this will solve the problem. Good luck!

Small piece of shamfered wood behind the headboard in front of the metal lip will lift the pallets over the metal lip tight up to front. Access through your little door at front of trailer.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Where I used to work there was a lot of traffic with walking floors, I once mentioned about using them for pallet work and no one thought that was a viable option.

Second-hand walking floor? Be sure to have Pirtek (or similar) stored in your phone, you’ll probably need them :laughing:
EDIT: and don’t forget to carry your spill kit :wink:

Beau Nydel:
In my experience [3 years on walking floors and wish I’d got on them 30 years sooner before I retired!] first 2 pallets side by side on the mat and let the forklift put pressure on them as you walk them in so you have enough room on the back for the next 2 and let the forklift do the same (just enough pressure for the floor to move them, don’t let the f/l push them!) Do this for each pair and I think (hope) that this will solve the problem. Good luck!

There is not a mat for the whole floor just a short one attached to headboard so this would not work either. Told boss get a curtain sided make life easier for loads he is wanting to bring back.

stuart75:

Beau Nydel:

There is not a mat for the whole floor just a short one attached to headboard so this would not work either. Told boss get a curtain sided make life easier for loads he is wanting to bring back.

(I think) he means start like this

with the bulkhead and sheet at the back and put the first two pallets on the sheet. Then do this (YouTube video).

Cuttlefish:

stuart75:

Beau Nydel:

(I think) he means start like this

with the bulkhead and sheet at the back and put the first two pallets on the sheet. Then do this (YouTube video).

Precisely! Always worked for me :slight_smile:

stuart75:
Boss just bought second hand walking floor trailer to do biomass work but also pallet work. However when loading pallets they start to twist when the walking floor starts to move. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? We can’t seem to resolve the issue, and we can’t carry pallet truck due to biomass being loaded/unloaded before picking up pallets. The floor does mot lift the pallets at all to help either. Any advice would ne great.

Try putting a piece of carpet under the first two pallets when loading. that will stop the pallets moving backwards and forwards leaving gaps for them to move. I’m guessing it either doesn’t have a false wall or the flap at the bottom of it is missing