Walking floor advice

Ok so we now have a walking floor trailer and yesterday got two volvo FH units with the kit to suit the trailer . 60 plate ex AW Jenkinson btw
Anyway as it’s the first time for me or the company operating a walking floor trailer just after any things to watch out for or general advice :wink:
It will only be a load or two a week initially so will be broken in gently :unamused:

I think the first load is scrap upvc window frames and then plasterboard

Cheers Mike

I

Always make sure the sweep door is at the front double check just before loading when load starts to come out let handbrake of and it will push you along nice and steady you wont need to give it any revs it should come out ok have a brush with you you will need one and make sure the rails at the top on either side are kept clean get a hose on them when ever you can at least once a week the work will be dusty and at times you will wonder why you are doing it.keep trailer as clean as possible beleive me it will help in the long run
plasterboard is one of the worst loads i have done keep windows shut you must try and wash out after plaster board it will get stuck in the rails and cause the door to jam

hanson:
Always make sure the sweep door is at the front double check just before loading when load starts to come out let handbrake of and it will push you along nice and steady you wont need to give it any revs it should come out ok have a brush with you you will need one and make sure the rails at the top on either side are kept clean get a hose on them when ever you can at least once a week the work will be dusty and at times you will wonder why you are doing it.keep trailer as clean as possible beleive me it will help in the long run
plasterboard is one of the worst loads i have done keep windows shut you must try and wash out after plaster board it will get stuck in the rails and cause the door to jam

I’ve not driven walking floors, only push outs, but is it worth mentioning-Don’t drop scrap or waste in from a height, as it can damage the floor, make sure that they place the first few grabfulls gently on the deck & don’t pound it down like they used to on our push outs (once it’s full-ITS FULL !)

hanson:

tie a bungey to the top of sweep wall ant pull it over head board to stop it moving back if they load arse about face

Always return floor so planks are level at back door. If you leave them half out they have a habit of moving back and forth on the road which builds up hydraulic pressure on trailer.It a right job to reconnect hydraulic hoses when you go to tip as the are pressurised.Hope that makes sense.

If you load pallets or reels of paper keep count of what is going on then when you get close to the amount look thru the inpection glass as you don’t want to walk it thru the head board at worse or snap the bolts that hold your sweep wall in place . If you load clay mud or even plasterboard put two floor mats to the full width of trailer (overlap them) or a piece of carpet a bit wider than trailer on the mat on the bottom of sweep wall as that will save you a lot of sweeping as that don’t always get what is left at the sides . when you open or close your roof make sure you do it some where out of the wind as it don’t take much to blow it right over and its a real git to pull it back over . most pto’s don’t allow you to release the hand brake these days but you can get round it buy just releasing it enuf to let the load push you go to far and it kicks out the pto. on your remote mark clearly which button or which way the switch goes for in or out seen a few guy walk the load fwd .and dont be tempted to start it walking until the doors are open some guys do but if you get distracted or have a prob it will push your doors clean off . But once you get the knack of them its one of the best bits of kit out there

FMBOY:
Always return floor so planks are level at back door. If you leave them half out they have a habit of moving back and forth on the road which builds up hydraulic pressure on trailer.It a right job to reconnect hydraulic hoses when you go to tip as the are pressurised.Hope that makes sense.

Or you can leave your pipes on all the time. but yes in or out with the planks don’t realy matter but most leave them forward as they tend to draw that way but never draw backward

Make sure you WALK the headboard once tipped BACK TO THE FRONT! :grimacing: as if you load again through the roof, :laughing: your 28 tonne of crap will need shovelling out! :smiley: takes a while! :wink: on hourly pay :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:
Make sure you WALK the headboard once tipped BACK TO THE FRONT! :grimacing: as if you load again through the roof, :laughing: your 28 tonne of crap will need shovelling out! :smiley: takes a while! :wink: on hourly pay :grimacing:

only worth doing if your locks on the wall are still there but they normally get bent or smashed off by either the loader or the load and will slide back to the doors . all aint lost if you forget as the load will walk out if you just do it on tick over as the wall swings both ways (ooh ar mrs) but will take a good hour just need to be ready with the stop button for when the load jams then walk it forward a bit then poke n pull with ur roof bar :smiley:

Thanks for the tips so far guys :slight_smile:
Running the length of the body are two straps to help support the sheet , just thinking that the upvc stuff might get caught up in them ? Whilst being loaded :confused: Should those be slackened off to load ?

Also I’m guessing I need a pole to hook the bungey rope on the sheet onto the hooks above the rear doors ? And to grab the straps if the get stuck on top of the sheet after pulling it back over ?

I’m thinking aluminium or thin wall steel tube with some sort of hook fashioned to pull bungey rope , or straps ?

There was supplied a strap to pull the sheet back over which is clipped onto the. Sheet hold down straps (well two of them ) , do you need some sort of weight on the strap so it can be thrown over :confused: I’m thinking dog toy :laughing: rubber ball on a rope which fido goes to fetch :grimacing:

Cheers Mike

Sorry just thought of another thing :unamused:
How do u stop the hydraulic pipes from rubbing on the catwalk , I know you can get the spiral stuff to stop hydraulic pipes rubbing (hoses even )

One of the lads mentioned some sort of swinging support arm ■■

Or do I hold them up with bungee rope so there clear of catwalk ■■? :question:

Use bungee rope to hold them up.

When walking out pvc or sharp loads,take the sheet off first otherwise you’ll rip it to shreds.

When you go to tip at the upvc recycling place in Telford, if it’s night, do it quietly as I often night out just down the road.

Mikey D:
Thanks for the tips so far guys :slight_smile:
Running the length of the body are two straps to help support the sheet , just thinking that the upvc stuff might get caught up in them ? Whilst being loaded :confused: Should those be slackened off to load ?

Also I’m guessing I need a pole to hook the bungey rope on the sheet onto the hooks above the rear doors ? And to grab the straps if the get stuck on top of the sheet after pulling it back over ?

I’m thinking aluminium or thin wall steel tube with some sort of hook fashioned to pull bungey rope , or straps ?

There was supplied a strap to pull the sheet back over which is clipped onto the. Sheet hold down straps (well two of them ) , do you need some sort of weight on the strap so it can be thrown over :confused: I’m thinking dog toy :laughing: rubber ball on a rope which fido goes to fetch :grimacing:

Cheers Mike

There should be a pole with the trailer usually fixed to the side guard .never seen any straps running the length of the trailer unless you mean the ones that look like a tir chord if you mean those that’s what you fix a harness to (a lot of sites insist on a harness if u need to climb on the load ) the outer roof straps tie them together in pairs and the will usually drop down when you roll the roof shut if not it will make them easier to hook with your pole (and you need speed when its a bit windy) . if you don’t run with you pipes connected, if they are difficult to connect put a rag around the end and push against something (use a bolt for the female fitting) to release the pressure if you do it with out a rag around the end you will get covered with oil. also if you don’t do the bungies at the back up it will shred the end of the sheet up

Mikey D:
Sorry just thought of another thing :unamused:
How do u stop the hydraulic pipes from rubbing on the catwalk , I know you can get the spiral stuff to stop hydraulic pipes rubbing (hoses even )

One of the lads mentioned some sort of swinging support arm ■■

Or do I hold them up with bungee rope so there clear of catwalk ■■? :question:

the catwalk wont hurt them just tie them together every Cpl of feet that way if a pipe drops off the other will stop it dropping of the side and hitting the road the fittings are something like £80 a pop each

Cheers Chester , will be running with the hydraulics connected , in fact I’ve had to split couple the unit to trailer because there’s hardly any room .
I will take a pic of the straps running the length of the trailer , they are prob 2 foot from the side of the trailer with tensioning ratchets up on the platform .
It looks like they have been broken before because they are knotted together in the middle :unamused:
There was no pole supplied with the trailer , it came from abroad somewhere before coming over for a refurb .
Can soon knock something up tho .

Cheers Mike

Mikey D:
Cheers Chester , will be running with the hydraulics connected , in fact I’ve had to split couple the unit to trailer because there’s hardly any room .
I will take a pic of the straps running the length of the trailer , they are prob 2 foot from the side of the trailer with tensioning ratchets up on the platform .
It looks like they have been broken before because they are knotted together in the middle :unamused:
There was no pole supplied with the trailer , it came from abroad somewhere before coming over for a refurb .
Can soon knock something up tho .

Cheers Mike

post a pic of the straps u mean iv not seen any with straps running this way before cant see them being support for the roof as the center pole is higher than the sides what make is the trailer ?

I have had a trailer with them straps down the middle they are there to stop the sheet sagging if it rains.
take them of they are a pain and will get in the way it wont
make any diffrence to the sheet it will be fine

Gents its a kraker trailer , I think your right there Hanson they must be there just to stop the rain collecting . Having said that the trailer has been standing in our yard for about a month and a "little " bit of rain had collected on the sheet about a tonne’s worth I think ! I did a nice job of washing the yard tho when I shunted . So no I don’t think the straps do much . We have left the sheet open for now anyway so rain can’t collect on it .

The cross poles are just flat round tube , not curved so the rain can’t really drain off all that well so I suppose that’s why the straps are there . Anyway I will take them off for now and see how it goes ,

Cheers Mike

Just a little tip don’t open your sun roof 1st thing in mornin seen a few do it in yard first touch of the brakes after it’s been rainin and most of that water will shoot fwd thru your sunroof . It’s quite amusing watching people get out of the cab soaked to the skin because the hadn’t thought where the water may end up . Same in the ice do a cpl of circles in yard to get it of roof as it does a bit of damage to cars