Walkers crisp trailers long

Seen some trailers at walkers crisp seem to have an extra set of wheels and look longer than a normal 26plt trailer

I’m sure they do have longer ones they only carry light stuff so would be a good idea.

Not just Walkers mate, they were on trial about 2 years ago or so, and now a hell of a lot of firms have them, TDS have a flat bed one for doing pallets, Morrisons have got them, well, like I said, pretty much everyone now.
Still 44t limit though, but come in 28 and 30 pallet versions

kays, gregorys have deker versions, all the supermarkets have them, marshalls use them for blocks and curbs they are everywhere if look closely for the gap between the back two axles on the trailers.

We have 8 x 15.6m and 44 x 14.6m trailers and those longer ones are a real ■■■■■ to pull and take some getting used to.

took extended Argos decker from euro central to Darlington, only noticed difference when reversing it on to the bay ‘rear Axel locks up if you put to much on’…

It did take me a couple of shunts to realise what the problem was I at first thought I was against something, but enjoyed how it moved afterwards… You can probably lock the Axel off but in the dead of night and wanting to get home asap I didn’t bother looking

we have got 62 of the 15.6m ones,they are 2yrs into a 10 yr goverment trial,you have to be a bit careful on roundabouts because the rear overhang tends to redesign any vehicle getting too close. :laughing:

m_attt:
kays, gregorys have deker versions, all the supermarkets have them, marshalls use them for blocks and curbs they are everywhere if look closely for the gap between the back two axles on the trailers.

Sainsbury’s don’t have them…

Yet

The ones I’ve seen have rear steer and are only being pulled between rdc’s ffs hardly even worthy of bragging about. Although reversing one can be a ■■■■■. I’ve pulled long ish loads up to 72 foot on a steerable and if you drive em proper they glide round bends better then a 45 footer! That said with the kick out it could cause problems. I’ve sat as a second man pulling 24.6 metres and the driver drove the ■■■■■■ like a dream, now that takes skill! My old firm used to pull the 153 foot turbine blades and was told a few horror stories by my ex gaffa who’d been there seen it done etc.
I had many a car driver men and women giving me abuse for taking the middle of 2 lanes at a roundabout despite the fact I’ve got 70 foot of steel to manoeuvre around the thing with steering axles that’d fly right into their path after I’m straightening up etc.
Morall of the story is, they’re ■■■■ all special :grimacing:

Celotex the insulation people have them, also Brit European use them.

dont they run on only set pre approved runs and the like?

OllieNotts:
The ones I’ve seen have rear steer and are only being pulled between rdc’s ffs hardly even worthy of bragging about.

Ours aren’t used between RDCs, but it sounds like you’re an expert on them so no point explaining… and I don’t think anybody was bragging, the OP was just asking a question.

OllieNotts:
Although reversing one can be a ■■■■■…

Well, I guess there are those that talk and those that do.

OllieNotts:
Morall of the story is, they’re [zb] all special :grimacing:

You’re right there, but they do a good service for us and are proving profitable so they’re special enough for us.

Ryy86:
took extended Argos decker from euro central to Darlington, only noticed difference when reversing it on to the bay ‘rear Axel locks up if you put to much on’…

It did take me a couple of shunts to realise what the problem was I at first thought I was against something, but enjoyed how it moved afterwards… You can probably lock the Axel off but in the dead of night and wanting to get home asap I didn’t bother looking

If you’ve set up for a reverse and the unit and trailer are straight when you select reverse then the rear axle should lock up, although there is a manual over-ride button on the trailer if you needed it.
Tugs and dock spotters need the manual button as they don’t have the intelligence to lock-up the axle.
I meant the unit, not the driver… then again! :laughing:

Rentadent:
If you’ve set up for a reverse and the unit and trailer are straight when you select reverse then the rear axle should lock up, although there is a manual over-ride button on the trailer if you needed it.
Tugs and dock spotters need the manual button as they don’t have the intelligence to lock-up the axle.
I meant the unit, not the driver… then again!

No option to lock the rear axle on the walkers trailers.

There is a wedge on the trailer that locates in the jaws of the fifth wheel, which in turn, steers the rear axle.

ianflanne99:
Seen some trailers at walkers crisp seem to have an extra set of wheels and look longer than a normal 26plt trailer

It’s not an extra set of wheels, it’s three axles on the trailer (unless they previously had a maximum of two?) but the rearmost one is a steer axle and the other two are further forward. The trailer’s longer; it makes the artic as long as the maximum length for a drawbar and is part of a trial scheme.

they should work out well for bigger and smaller companies

could be the difference between sending 2 unit/trailers (or making 2 trips in the same wagon) instead of just the 1

also for the big companies that are running multiple trunks to the same place then they’ll be able to get the same amount of stuff shifted with less runs

although I bet they’ll still run at below full capacity a lot of the time!

We have a few of them to.See alot about now.

Stillers have had the DD for nearly a year now TNT have some as well

daffyd:

A lot of the time ?! All the time, don’t recall ever pulling a 28 pallet trailer with 28 pallets on.

redboxer850:

Rentadent:
I meant the unit, not the driver… then again!

No option to lock the rear axle on the walkers trailers.

There is a wedge on the trailer that locates in the jaws of the fifth wheel, which in turn, steers the rear axle.

I don’t think any of the LST’s have locking rear steers - used to ■■■■ me off going backwards but you soon adjust. Also, a lot of the rear bumpers ended up bent due to them being too low and getting caught on the banana ramps…

bald bloke:

daffyd:

A lot of the time ?! All the time, don’t recall ever pulling a 28 pallet trailer with 28 pallets on.

I used to deliver 60 pallets into DC’s, always neatly double stacked all the way down. But yes, 50% of the time it was empty :smiley: