Waking up to a Air leak

Had to change trailers last night and was given a pre-loaded new jobby which on pre trip inspection had a split mudguard. No dramas called fitters out to repair, 10 minute job.

No other faults so parked up for the evening in our main yard across the road.

Well imagine my surprise this morning when my drivers seat was in the down position (never a good sign, unless you’ve pressed the button) and no air showing on gauge thingy.

Anyway after building the air up I inspected the trailer only to hear a very faint hissing coming from underneath.

Now for noobs this is an instant VOR as air is our brake fluid (unless your making a dash to get it repaired or it’s Friday), so here I sit waiting for another fitter having rang me planner at 4am to inform him of the issue, weirdly he was non to happy and it almost sounded like I’d woke him up.

Just sharing really no humour in this, sorry.

I should add for noobs, that not all hissing noises are leaks they can be air tanks filling, trailer settling, buttons just need a push but if after fiddling about with every available knob the hiss is still present then chances are you have a problem.

I find most times it’s a lack of draining the tanks and a bit of ■■■■ just keeping some valve from closing properly

Dipper_Dave:
Had to change trailers last night and was given a pre-loaded new jobby which on pre trip inspection had a split mudguard. No dramas called fitters out to repair, 10 minute job.

Well imagine my surprise this morning when my drivers seat was in the down position (never a good sign, unless you’ve pressed the button) and no air showing on gauge thingy.

Anyway after building the air up I inspected the trailer only to hear a very faint hissing coming from underneath.

Now for noobs this is an instant VOR as air is our brake fluid (unless your making a dash to get it repaired or it’s Friday), so here I sit waiting for another fitter having rang me planner at 4am to inform him of the issue, weirdly he was non to happy and it almost sounded like I’d woke him up.

Waking your planner up at 4am IS funny!

I should add for noobs, that not all hissing noises are leaks they can be air tanks filling, trailer settling, buttons just need a push but if after fiddling about with every available knob the hiss is still present then chances are you have a problem.

Every knob dave?

Dipper_Dave:

No chance it could be a snake?

Admittedly I was very concerned a sleeping serpent was under there, turns out it was an airbag. 15 minutes later I’m good to go.

My planners got a right strop on him though.

need to stop trying to give your inflatable friend love bites :unamused:

Dipper_Dave:
Admittedly I was very concerned a sleeping serpent was under there, turns out it was an airbag. 15 minutes later I’m good to go.

My planners got a right strop on him though.

You wanna tell him he’s lucky , you started at 4 so he had a lye in :grimacing:

Could be worse Dave. We had a new car park area built behind where we park the units and the construction company have put up a nice fence separating the two with a nice concrete bank where they’ve had to raise the car park to keep it nice and level. I found out the other night that nobody bothered to check the gradient of this small concrete bank and when you reverse your unit right into its ■■■■■■■■■■■■ up to the kerb as we previously did you bend the drain valve of the rear air tank on the CF because they made it too steep.

Judging by how fast the garage turned out to fix it and that they just happened to have some in the van it appears I’m not the first to have done it this week.

Conor:
Could be worse Dave. We had a new car park area built behind where we park the units and the construction company have put up a nice fence separating the two with a nice concrete bank where they’ve had to raise the car park to keep it nice and level. I found out the other night that nobody bothered to check the gradient of this small concrete bank and when you reverse your unit right into its ■■■■■■■■■■■■ up to the kerb as we previously did you bend the drain valve of the rear air tank on the CF because they made it too steep.

Judging by how fast the garage turned out to fix it and that they just happened to have some in the van it appears I’m not the first to have done it this week.

A full time driver would have foreseen this potential grounding out and raised the air suspension.

nick2008:
I find most times it’s a lack of draining the tanks and a bit of [zb] just keeping some valve from closing properly

Can’t remember the last time I drained a tank and something other than air came out, so never even bother doing it now.

Own Account Driver:
A full time driver would have foreseen this potential grounding out and raised the air suspension.

A full time driver was the first to do it.

A hissing airbag… Pfft

Try being on the catwalk whilst the airbag under your feet goes bang, felt good.

Protip for noobs, slight airleak? Don’t be a ■■■■ and get er lit

Dipper_Dave:
Now for noobs this is an instant VOR as air is our brake fluid (unless your making a dash to get it repaired or it’s Friday)

I wouldn’t be so dramatic about it, it will take one hell of an air leak to make an impact on the brakes. some ten years ago I drove an old clunker of a scania in -20 weather, the compressor was shot and leaking oil into the air. ultimately I had little to none air in the suspension, the bells and whistles where all lit up on the dashboard but brakes were still in service, eg they still had enough air to keep moving without smoke bellowing from the wheelwells.

nowadays a small leak will be taken care of when the weekend comes, a big one during the same day. by myself.

I do love to be a drama queen but I believe any air leak that stops air building at just above idle will be an instant pg tips, anything else well get a delayed unless other faults are found.

Air is our life saver if its escaping she ain’t moving, but that’s just me.

Course I’ve taken some right dogs out in my time when the alarm buzzer used to kick in if the traffic lights where on red for to long, but don’t tell the noobs.

I have an air leak in me arse. Do I need a VOR?

If its a air leak that can be sorted with just keeping the motor running all day I would crack on if away form base/fitters. I once drove from Sheffield back to Gloucester on the motorway watching the air go down and then just change to a lower gear for 30secs to get it back up again and then repeat later down the road when needed. :sunglasses:

Dipper_Dave:

Bit of non story really Dave - This happens quite often but the solution is simple as you have said. Call a fitter and get it sorted - Oh and go back to bed as you can’t drive and catch up on some much needed beauty sleep :slight_smile:

milodon:

Dipper_Dave:
Now for noobs this is an instant VOR as air is our brake fluid (unless your making a dash to get it repaired or it’s Friday)

I wouldn’t be so dramatic about it, it will take one hell of an air leak to make an impact on the brakes. some ten years ago I drove an old clunker of a scania in -20 weather, the compressor was shot and leaking oil into the air. ultimately I had little to none air in the suspension, the bells and whistles where all lit up on the dashboard but brakes were still in service, eg they still had enough air to keep moving without smoke bellowing from the wheelwells.

nowadays a small leak will be taken care of when the weekend comes, a big one during the same day. by myself.

Depends what circuit/valve/pipe the air is leaking from. Symptoms can be as mild as it blowing off less frequently to service brakes seriously impaired.

or can depend on were the air is leaking from, I can recall a old sad veco 18t rigid that developed a serious air leak( on it’s main supply pipe to or from compressor) whilst travelling from Preston to Dagenham. i pulled into a servs on the M1 Watford gap IIRC for a 45 break, afterwards after starting the POS i recall that the air took a while to build up and seat to rise again, i continued on my way, and by the time i got near to south mims serv’s on the M25 the air pressure was seriously low and wasn’t building , So i made the decision to try and make it to the service area, i had to stop for the lights at the end of the slip road(off ramp) due to some dithering Muppet in a car , and that was were i stayed ,brakes on & engine running ,no air no air to turn the engine off or put it into cog to stall the zb , everything needed air ffs, just a shame they didn’t use that to give the driver an air bed, as what they did use was like sleeping on a bench

Ryy86:
A hissing airbag… Pfft

Try being on the catwalk whilst the airbag under your feet goes bang, felt good.

Protip for noobs, slight airleak? Don’t be a [zb] and get er lit

i’ve heard and seen one of them go off :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: when doing agency work @ Stafford Irlams/stobarts gaff along side the m6 all the office staff dived for cover :astonished: :astonished: :confused: