Waitrose RDC Aylesford

As topic says I’ve an interview/assessment at Waitrose RDC in Aylesford. Just wondering if anyone here works there, has worked there and knows what’s it’s like and what to expect? The position is permanent and not agency work.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

I’ve never been employed directly by Waitrose Aylesford, but I done some agency there up until about five years ago… Not much to tell, but it’s the usual supermarket type job, there seems to be paper, processes and checksheeets for everything, can only be worse now with DCPC & WTD, etc - but as I recall there’s a good mix of London and South East store deliveries and I was doing mainly weekends with 3,4, or 5am starts and always trying to get a min 12hrs ( I only done 2- 3 days a month for extra money!)

Good, well maintained motors & trailers and with EU hours and WTD I doubt you’d be worked too hard, so overall probably not a bad job ( If a little bit too regimental ) and tbh I’d do it if I lived nearer… as a matter of fact, I was doing agency there when it was still Safeway.

Remember there is also Tesco up the road @ Snodland which I liked doing but my favourite was when I used to drive regular for Sainsburys out of their old Hackbridge depot… but I’m showing my age now! Lol

Good luck with the assessment/interview mate… I’d be interested to hear how you get on!

You must wear long black trousers… I was shown the door for not doing thus. :blush:

The depot is the former safeways depot, a relic from the golden age of agency driving work… Agency work that actually made you rich! (1990’s!)

Winseer:
You must wear long black trousers… I was shown the door for not doing thus. :blush:

The depot is the former safeways depot, a relic from the golden age of agency driving work… Agency work that actually made you rich! (1990’s!)

I remember it well mate… I was doing agency when it was Safeway too, and was also driving weekends for Sainsburys at Hackbridge, if you remember that one… £16 per hr on a Saturday & £18 per hr on a Sunday!! Happy days, eh? Lol

Winseer:

I’m sure you make/dream this stuff up lol

Cheers guys…I’ll update when I get back!

Silly question but as it’s Waitrose what should I expect? Are their trucks manual or autos? I know they are day cabs. Also what would you wear? As it’s a driving position surely they don’t expect me in a shirt and tie!!!?

I know about tesco and have applied with Wincanton to drive out of there. I’ve noticed an agency (trg logistics??) are advertising for drivers out of there as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies anyway :slight_smile:

I went for an interview and driving assessment at Waitrose, Aylesford about ten years ago now I suppose.

I passed the interview but failed the assessment, mainly because from the word “go” I intensely disliked the assessor who had just got back from a kiddie-fiddling holiday to Thailand the previous day and wanted to talk about nothing else, and I am not very good at concealing my contempt for ■■■■■■ deviants. :wink:

Seany:

Winseer:

I’m sure you make/dream this stuff up lol

Not necessarily. I did one agency shift and not knowing any different I wore jeans. It was only after I read their rules and such that I noticed that they specifically said no jeans. I never went back there, I don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

Haven’t worn jeans to a shift since.

Hi,
In the main, the units are DAF 75’s with 310bhp auto’s.
I think aylesford have a few merc’s too - expect these to be auto as well.

They have a good few rigids (daf’s) which are manual.

The main thing is, apart from being underpowered), the units are limited to 83kmh.

The big hill towards London (wrotham hill) is slow going when your loaded!
Expect to get overtaken by milk floats, cyclists and horses going up this hill! :slight_smile:

Aylesford have a fair mix of trailers - normal (13m) down to short single axle Urbans for some of the London stores.

There is also plenty of trunking work to Bracknell and Brinklow rdc’s, NDC at Magna Park (MK) and frozen from Reading/Theale along with supplier collections of product for return to the rdc. (Some of these are in London, most suppliers locations are ok, but some are a little tight!)

Aylesford drivers have to de-kit their own trailers, but this is at another building within the rdc so not all bad.

Kit is all straight and well maintained.
Paperwork is straightforward and not overly arduous.

All in all, the work is not too taxing, some stores are tight, but it’s straight, steady work.
Waitrose are bringing new stores online all the time, so hopefully the job is pretty secure too…

Can’t comment on site politics or management.

Hope this helps.

quote=“Allstar Colemanator”]Cheers guys…I’ll update when I get back!

Silly question but as it’s Waitrose what should I expect? Are their trucks manual or autos? I know they are day cabs. Also what would you wear? As it’s a driving position surely they don’t expect me in a shirt and tie!!!?

I know about tesco and have applied with Wincanton to drive out of there. I’ve noticed an agency (trg logistics??) are advertising for drivers out of there as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies anyway :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Thanks dsbu that helps a lot! Not worried about speed of the units, the ones I drive are limited to 80kph!

dsbu:
Hi,
In the main, the units are DAF 75’s with 310bhp auto’s.
I think aylesford have a few merc’s too - expect these to be auto as well.

They have a good few rigids (daf’s) which are manual.

The main thing is, apart from being underpowered), the units are limited to 83kmh.

The big hill towards London (wrotham hill) is slow going when your loaded!
Expect to get overtaken by milk floats, cyclists and horses going up this hill! :slight_smile:

Aylesford have a fair mix of trailers - normal (13m) down to short single axle Urbans for some of the London stores.

There is also plenty of trunking work to Bracknell and Brinklow rdc’s, NDC at Magna Park (MK) and frozen from Reading/Theale along with supplier collections of product for return to the rdc. (Some of these are in London, most suppliers locations are ok, but some are a little tight!)

Aylesford drivers have to de-kit their own trailers, but this is at another building within the rdc so not all bad.

Kit is all straight and well maintained.
Paperwork is straightforward and not overly arduous.

All in all, the work is not too taxing, some stores are tight, but it’s straight, steady work.
Waitrose are bringing new stores online all the time, so hopefully the job is pretty secure too…

Can’t comment on site politics or management.

I’ve done quite a bit of agency (never in black trousers) and I know a few full timers.

Most of what’s been said here is correct. Apart from there are Scania units as well, older ones are 3 pedal auto newer are 2 pedal.
Rigid are a mixture of Mercedes and Daf, none are manual

Lennoxtown:
Good, well maintained motors & trailers and with EU hours and WTD I doubt you’d be worked too hard, so overall probably not a bad job ( If a little bit too regimental ) and tbh I’d do it if I lived nearer… as a matter of fact, I was doing agency there when it was still Safeway.

That ^^ said… Does anyone know how much has changed at Aylesford Waitrose for the better? ( or worse! )… I’ve just got around to
getting my drivers CPC and I’m considering going back here (amongst other places! ) after being out the game for about 6 years.

I’m hearing about tough assessment & induction tests and interviews just to get through the door… anyone have any current info?

Lennoxtown:

Lennoxtown:
I’m hearing about tough assessment & induction tests and interviews just to get through the door… anyone have any current info?

If you can wait till Thursday I’ll let you know! Hope it’s not that bad tho.

Hi worked there for a year when it first opened,when you go for assessment it will probably be Graham,who struts about like he owns the place, and he does love a blind reverse.if you don’t get a medical on the same day you’ve failed the assessment. It’s very clicky in there wages not bad not as good as Tesco or Sainsbury. Also there is 2 different payscales in there original drivers from the start will get double time etc but the best you can hope for is time and a half. I would wear shirt tie trousers and boots for your assessment. GOOD LUCK.

Jamestross:
Hi worked there for a year when it first opened,when you go for assessment it will probably be Graham,who struts about like he owns the place, and he does love a blind reverse.if you don’t get a medical on the same day you’ve failed the assessment. It’s very clicky in there wages not bad not as good as Tesco or Sainsbury. Also there is 2 different payscales in there original drivers from the start will get double time etc but the best you can hope for is time and a half. I would wear shirt tie trousers and boots for your assessment. GOOD LUCK.

Thanks mate… Good to know!!

I’ve got to report to Gate 4 reception and ask for Stuart Cook. Email states interview/assessment won’t last no longer than an hour and doesn’t mention a medical. Would you really wear shirt and tie? I’m under the impression I’m there to do a multiple choice quiz and go for a drive.

Hi Stuart Cook is one of the Managers in there,would definitely go suited and booted, especially for the interview, don’t forget they like a good first impression,what you going to do turn up in jeans and a dirty hi vi. If you’re definitely having a driving assessment, if you pass you will be sent for a quick medical it’s not too intense, are you sure it’s not just an interview first.?

Allstar Colemanator:
I’ve got to report to Gate 4 reception and ask for Stuart Cook. Email states interview/assessment won’t last no longer than an hour and doesn’t mention a medical. Would you really wear shirt and tie? I’m under the impression I’m there to do a multiple choice quiz and go for a drive.

I done some work there for a while on agency t shirt was fine, the only bit I didn’t like was couldn’t use any sat nav not even your phone they give you a a4 sheet of paper with the route on it.

well, how did you get on allstar.

Hey chaps - first of thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Ok just got back from interview it was today (fri 20th) not Thursday 19th! First tip is read the bloody email they send you properly!! Anyway…

Interview was at 12 midday so got there at 1130. They ask you to arrive 15 mins before interview time so got that well covered. Believe they ask that so it allows for you to sign in with security and get your pass etc etc. after that I’m asked to wait in canteen and someone will come and get me.

At interview I was asked to tell about myself, interests etc then down to business and was asked different questions and had to give examples I’ve experienced. Then it was general house keeping, more about pay and bonuses, talked about the shifts which can be as short as 5 hours or as long as 11 hours and then what happens if you get a start.

All in all it was purely an interview, no assessment I understand that would come later. But from what I was hearing they look after their staff so fingers crossed.