Waitrose Assessment

Hi all…

I’ve got an assessment at Waitrose Bracknell ( Via Agency ) next week… any info or advice?

What are they looking for… I’ve been off artics & van driving for 7-8 years now, but on the upside, I’ve 20+ years experience on all types of hgv work… inc various agency stints at Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsburys in the past…

Just not driven artics for a while!

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Lennoxtown:
Hi all…

I’ve got an assessment at Waitrose Bracknell ( Via Agency ) next week… any info or advice?

What are they looking for… I’ve been off artics ( been driving a van instead! ) for 7-8 years now, but on the upside, I’ve 20+ years experience on all types of hgv work… inc various agency stints at Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsburys in the past…

Just not driven artics for a while!

Thanks.

Lennoxtown:
Hi all…

What are they looking for…

It’s an agency… most are looking for bums on seats… don’t crash during the assessment - don’t wake up the assessor… job’s yours. :slight_smile:

You might be asked to do a blind side reverse at a store.

TiredAndEmotional:
You might be asked to do a blind side reverse at a store.

That’s no big deal then! Lol :smiley:

I was more interested in what the whole assessment thing entails… theory test on hours? WTD? Any other questions
designed to trip me up? Whether they expect me to drive like I’m on my test passing the steering wheel thru my hands,
etc?

Should I get out for a visual check on a tight reverse, even though I know from years of experience I’m clear…
Just because it looks tight to the examiner… How far or long the test drive or indeed the whole assessment will last? You
know, that sort of thing!

Has anyone on here actually done the assessment at Waitrose Bracknell?

I’ve just started at Aylesford but would assume it’s probably similar at Bracknell. Agency assessment was basically going out with another driver to a store so not too difficult although Waitrose yards don’t tend to have much room. Just remember there’s no rush at all, you’ve got all the time in the world. Mine took about 6 hours. Might be an idea to pop down to Bracknell in advance to see where you’ve got to go, it’s a very big place.

wing-nut:
I’ve just started at Aylesford but would assume it’s probably similar at Bracknell. Agency assessment was basically going out with another driver to a store so not too difficult although Waitrose yards don’t tend to have much room. Just remember there’s no rush at all, you’ve got all the time in the world. Mine took about 6 hours. Might be an idea to pop down to Bracknell in advance to see where you’ve got to go, it’s a very big place.

Thanks for that mate… to be honest, I done Waitrose at Aylesford too ( and also when it was Safeway! ) so hopefully not much different.

Just coming back to HGV’s after 8 year gap so a bit apprehensive!

Well, I passed my assessment at Waitrose Bracknell - So, If it helps anyone about to do an assessment at
this RDC, I thought I’d tell my personal experience here and give an insight to what you can reasonably
expect if you have an assessment booked at this RDC…

After reporting to the transport for licence checks and to to be registered on their system you’ll do
two theory tests, one paper-based (20 questions) and one done on the PC ( 37 questions ) all relating
to Drivers hours, WTD, vehicle knowledge and road signs.

I’m really pleased with how it went considering I’ve not driven HGV’s for many years, I got a 92% pass
on the theory test, then gave a good test drive around Woodley (Reading) which is a very tight & tricky test
route! Don’t clip any kerbs with those pesky tandem axle trailers, they cut in a lot! - I prefer tri-axles!

Much of the time the assessor sat there chatting away & making me feel comfortable and at ease and commented
“REMEMBER you’re an experienced driver already, you’re NOT on your test… just give a nice smooth drive, obey the
speed limits and you’ll be ok!” That helped as I felt like a newbie all over again! Lol :smiley:

Then back to yard and I was asked to do one reverse on my good side, and two blind side reverses ALL
between two parked trailers with minimum shunts and the assessor seemed happy with my performance!

You’ll also be asked to perform your daily checks and couple the trailer and de-couple it at the end of your
assessment.

After a quick guided tour around the Bracknell site ( With the assessor now driving! ) it was back to the office
for the assessor to download my digi card and give you the good ( or bad! ) news!

In my case I passed, so very good news, and I actually surprised myself, as after almost 8 years off HGV’s I
really thought I’d be too rusty to pass, but since I already had 20+ years driving HGV’s before I gave them up…
it’s like ‘Riding a bike’ you NEVER really forget!

PS. The whole experience lasted around 5 hours!

Happy Days :smiley:

Well done Lennoxtown, sounds a bit different from Aylesford, agency assessment was just a drive to store with another driver, full time assessment was like a bloody driving test, assessor told me pass rate is 48%

Congratulations mate. I hope you enjoy your return to driving.

wing-nut:
Well done Lennoxtown, sounds a bit different from Aylesford, agency assessment was just a drive to store with another driver, full time assessment was like a bloody driving test, assessor told me pass rate is 48%

Any news on the Aylesford site? It’s under review isn’t it?

wing-nut:

Thanks ‘wing-nut’… It’s quite a few years since I done Aylesford & I don’t ever remember doing ANY
assessment there. TBH I think this was before they started all this assessment malarkey at most places!

I also done Aylesford when it was Safeway, Tesco @ Snodland & Sainsburys @ Hackbridge ( Do you remember that RDC! )
and I was never asked to do an assessment at ANY of them!

TBH I already had plenty experience before going to those agencies anyway and when you told the agency that…
it was good enough for them AND their client apparently - It’s bloody harder to get through the door now though
mate, innit?

So because I’ve NOT driven trucks in 8 years… I’m effectively a newbie again as far as the agencies are concerned!

Very frustrating! Lol :smiley:

PS. No pass rate was ever mentioned by the assessor at Bracknell, so I’ve no idea how they score new candidates!

slowlane:
Congratulations mate. I hope you enjoy your return to driving.

Cheers mate! The extra money will be handy anyway if nothing else! Lol :smiley:

TiredAndEmotional:

I’ve been hearing this rumour for years now, have asked several people from drivers right up to depot manager and they all say no.

wing-nut:

TiredAndEmotional:

I’ve been hearing this rumour for years now, have asked several people from drivers right up to depot manager and they all say no.

It’s between 30 and 50 miles to my nearest supermarket RDC’s… I wish they’d open one closer to me - I’d take a full time job there and
stay until I retire! - it’s ‘Money for Old Rope’ :smiley:

Lennoxtown:
It’s between 30 and 50 miles to my nearest supermarket RDC’s… I wish they’d open one closer to me - I’d take a full time job there and

Aylesford is 34 miles away from me and takes about an hour to get there and an hour home but it’s worth it for what they’re paying.
Most I can earn in Hastings is £9/10 per hour and I ain’t working for that.

wing-nut:

Lennoxtown:

Aylesford is 34 miles away from me and takes about an hour to get there and an hour home but it’s worth it for what they’re paying.
Most I can earn in Hastings is £9/10 per hour and I ain’t working for that.

Snap mate! Just wish I still had my motorbike especially to commute the M25 at rush hour! Lol :smiley: