Waiting times for training

After sending off for my provisional license back in the beginning of February I’ve recently passed all my theory, I’m now looking to book my practical course but the waiting times for the courses are months down the line around August time for the few I have contacted. Waiting for cancellations is impossible too as I need to book the time off work in advance.

Does anyone know if there are companies out there with shorter waiting lists? I never thought it would take this long to pass, it’s lucky I’m in employment otherwise waiting around to do these tests would be impossible lol

Most reputable providers are in the same boat - there has been a huge surge in demand over the last few months and it’s impossible to respond to that demand with extra instructors, vehicles and resources overnight.

I run a training school in South Wales and there is also a chronic shortage of DVSA driving examiners in the area. Even if we wanted to run more courses we would struggle, as there are very few test slots available.

It’s the same everywhere me old mate. I had to wait months even for a retake - it’s the backlog from the Pandemic Lockdowns as you know!

However. You could ask your school to let you know of any cancellations, that might work!

It did with me, I was a retake so often. I wanted to ask DVSA if they did season tickets for the Test, you know, buy four get one free that sort of thing thing.

I was busy saving me money and starving, as you do and lo and behold a flippin cancellation turned up out of the blue - knocked me sideways it did - “attempt number 5 please” So quick that I didn’t have time to get all nervous and was calm and serene fr the first time, anyway I passed just the other day.

So, do put in for a cancellation and work towards your start date, test date, they are yours but if you are ill or win the lottery, by cancelling you give another guy or lady a chance to do yours! And you should get your money back for next time. So good luck and it’s the same everywhere I’m afraid. Another thing, I wouldn’t try wandering around trying to get it done in a foreign county - try to stick with your school best you can.

Good luck.