Waiting rooms creeping back in?

TruckDriverBen:

Lincstrucker:
As a newbie here, can I ask.

Why don’t they let you sit in your cab? Is it classed as dangerous place to be whilst on a bay?

Some clowns have driven off on a red light in the past and we all get punished.

Even though we deposit our keys idk why they want us in w8ing rooms amazon let’s you uncoupling to sit in

Some plebs hand their car keys in, or have two sets of lorry keys.

commonrail:
Back in the waiting room at sainsbury Hoddesdon

I’m there today. I tried uncoupling the truck and parking opposite, to be met with a knock 2 minutes later. After trying to reason with the guy (you have my keys, I’m nowhere near the trailer, etc) I was met with the stock “it’s the rules” answer, so I coupled back up, and I’m now taking a walk down the canal opposite. I’ll be back to collect my truck when I feel like it. Might be 30 minutes from now, might be 2 hours.
Last time I caught covid, I was hospitalised for 3 weeks. I will not be going through that again for anyone.
I’ve informed my depot I wont be delivering there again, as I’m not agency, I can at least fall back on being stubborn!

cav551:
Having got up at Midnight after maybe not the best night’s (ha-ha) sleep, driven 30 minutes to the yard, waited for 90 minutes or more for either a unit, the outgoing goods to be unloaded - possibly from a trailer which hasn’t yet come in, or for a trailer for them to be put on, and then driven three and a half hours plus to the RDC, all the time aware that meeting the booking time is only just achievable, if and only if, I don’t stop for a pee, the one thing I really, really want is to get some horizontal rest in peace and quiet. Not to sit in an uncomfortable waiting room for one, two or three hours on a break which then allows/requires me to chase off immediately to the next rinse and repeat.

Sounds like absolute hell,.there ARE better jobs out there than that sort of torturous endurance.
Why tf do you even do it…why does anybody do it. :unamused:

Lincstrucker:

Why don’t they let you sit in your cab? Is it classed as dangerous place to be whilst on a bay?

No it’s some ■■■■ in an office justifying his non job by making up unnecessary and unreasonable rules.
If they justify it by deeming it dangerous, then take the necessary steps, and let the driver rest in his cab.
Hand the driver a suzie lock,.make him chock the wheels and hand his keys in, that just about covers every avenue.
Dangerous my arse.

I agree with Robroy here.

There’s stacks of other work where you never need to go near the hell holes that RDC’s have become.
I can’t take the bullshine around even a curtain sider delivery any more due to jobsworths and the company policy ■■■■■■■■ they trot out.

Honestly lads go try something else, bulkers you still get a bit of queuing to tip whether food or recycling but you’ll be in your lorry, driver’s holding cells haven’t even been considered in that game, and the lads doing the job arn’t usually up their own arse so there’s still a bit of a craic.

The sooner that these places can’t get their deliveries in because no bugger wants to go there any more the sooner it will change, like all the other crap that’s gone on recently whilst people, drivers in this case, keep complying they’ll just dream up yet more ■■■■■■■■ in some meeting (could you imagine being in such a meeting :unamused: and not seriously consider violence) to instigate to justify their jobs.

They’re just spiteful ■■■■■.
Why make someone’s life easier…when you can make it harder.
I’ve had to come off the road altogether…before I end up in prison.

robroy:
Sounds like absolute hell,.there ARE better jobs out there than that sort of torturous endurance.
Why tf do you even do it…why does anybody do it. :unamused:

I haven’t done that job for a few years now, when I drive these days they are much shorter and the distances far less. That would however be a typical bad day, usually a Friday but not exclusively and it did occur relatively frequently. I used that as an example of why drivers must have access to their cab so that proper rest can be taken. It wasn’t always like that, there were much better days but knowing the journeys involved I see no reason why things will have changed. It is why drivers pull out of RDCs having been there for hours and take a break in the nearest layby or MSA.

The problem arises because these long waits at RDCs create a vicious circle. The vehicle and trailer are late back to the haulier or don’t get back at all. Vehicle or trailer availablity means that the collection from the packhouse may not be on time, or as is often the case, the produce isn’t ready. This gets back to the haulier’s consolidation warehouse late, where a full load (or more than one) from several collections for delivery to numerous RDCs around the UK, have to be checked, temporarily stored made up into sensible loads which account for the ‘overs and unders’ which arrived, and then reloaded onto several different available trailers.

For the privilege of carrying out this work the haulier then gets a " Performance Review" from the supermarket on a regular basis.

commonrail:
They’re just spiteful [zb].

I was heading that way myself until I retired.I used to do agency work and there were several places I refused to go and would stay at home rather than clock on.The worst was Coca Cola at Wakefield where the gate men were a special grade of rude and disrespectful.By not going there I figured I was saving them a ride in an ambulance!
Normally I’m calm.

Gidders:

commonrail:
They’re just spiteful [zb].

I was heading that way myself until I retired.I used to do agency work and there were several places I refused to go and would stay at home rather than clock on.The worst was Coca Cola at Wakefield where the gate men were a special grade of rude and disrespectful.By not going there I figured I was saving them a ride in an ambulance!
Normally I’m calm.

Coca Cola Wakefield , you pull up at the gatehouse , you tell them the ref no , your name , they tell you what parking bay to drop tri / pick up
You then when leaving tell them where your going / how many palls
The worst place you’ve been too , you stayed at home , you hardly have any interaction other than the above , I’d put it up there with the best , if your on time your in and out in 1/2 hr , sidcup / East Kilbride / Edmonton , all good
You don’t mean Morrison’s Wakefield , I’ve not been there ( chilled for 15 yrs ) but that place still has me having nightmares , ambient always ok

I’m surprised there’s any drivers left with the state there getting there selfies in , storming off along the canal bank , may or may not come back , prisons , plastic seats next to toilets ha ha
This Is possibly the funniest thread I’ve seen on here , storming off along the canal bank ha ha , I’m just surprised they didn’t have to fish him out the thing
Ha ha my ribs hurt

robroy:

Lincstrucker:

No it’s some [zb] in an office justifying his non job by making up unnecessary and unreasonable rules.
If they justify it by deeming it dangerous, then take the necessary steps, and let the driver rest in his cab.
Hand the driver a suzie lock,.make him chock the wheels and hand his keys in, that just about covers every avenue.
Dangerous my arse.

Nobody disputes the risk to warehouse staff from drivers pulling off bays prematurely, but making the drivers sit on an uncomfortable chair in a crappy room for hours is a lazy “we don’t give a ■■■■ about the drivers” solution. Times should really be changing post pandemic with the driver shortage etc. and we shouldn’t be seeing a return to this sort of crap and more effort made to accommodate drivers comfort.

All bays at Tesco RDCs already have a Salvo lock system on them for dropped trailers. The safety solution is literally already in place.

I spend a fair bit of time in and put of Amazon depots in the North. Since the pandemic it’s been a case of…
Unhook and pull off the 5th wheel.
Hand over keys
Wheel chocks under
Automatic wheel lock on the trailer.

Yet now they are on about making drivers wait in drivers rooms again. If the procedure they’ve been using isn’t safe enough to prevent pulling off on a green light then christ knows what is!

fatboystu1:
Yet now they are on about making drivers wait in drivers rooms again. If the procedure they’ve been using isn’t safe enough to prevent pulling off on a green light then christ knows what is!

So glad my outfit have mostly stopped doing Amazon work, it’s utter garbage having to deal with that lot.