Waiting rooms creeping back in?

Was back in Purfleet today, delighted to see only a handful sat in the waiting room and everybody else (including me) ignoring all the signs & sloping back off to their cabs :smiley:

rob22888:
Was back in Purfleet today, delighted to see only a handful sat in the waiting room and everybody else (including me) ignoring all the signs & sloping back off to their cabs :smiley:

Ha ha. That’s what we like to hear.

What’s wrong with a waiting room? Don’t you spend enough time along in a cab?

stu675:
What’s wrong with a waiting room?

After a long drive, I want the peace, comfort, and quiet of my bunk, away from people. Not a loud tv, endless tannoy announcements, a plastic chair, and a colleague talking non stop about why the planners “didn’t do this and didn’t do that because it makes no sense because they don’t know their arse from their elbow and they sent it out on a 15ft trailer but they know there’s a 14ft bridge down the road and blah blah blah blah blah”.

Lucy:

zaax:
Simples, just refuse to deliver to places that require you to use waiting rooms, they are a very sexist thing anyway

Waiting rooms sexist? That’s a new one…

Dont forget institutionally racist, this one does work better if you are BAME, but give it a go :smiley:

thehairyarsedtrucker:

Lucy:

zaax:
Simples, just refuse to deliver to places that require you to use waiting rooms, they are a very sexist thing anyway

Waiting rooms sexist? That’s a new one…

Dont forget institutionally racist, this one does work better if you are BAME, but give it a go :smiley:

To be fair, efore the pandemic, I found the plastic chairs in the “slechs for blanke” section to be more comfortable.

stu675:

I’d rather spend time alone than listen to half the ■■■■■■■■ spouted by someone I don’t know and will likely never see again.

Fortunately not a problem to me nowadays, but when I was running into RDCs it was defo a benefit of Covid to sit in the cab.

stu675:

Yeh, but I like to choose who I spend time with when I’m out of the cab, and not have to be subjected to continual bouts of verbal b/s and drivercrap giving me gbh on the ear holes,…even though I try and show I ain’t listening,
And sat beside somebody who hasn’t showered for a fortnight into the bargain…no ta.
Sat on bunk relaxing in my own space is heaven in comparison.

ezydriver:

stu675:

After a long drive, I want the peace, comfort, and quiet of my bunk, away from people. Not a loud tv, endless tannoy announcements, a plastic chair, and a colleague talking non stop about why the planners “didn’t do this and didn’t do that because it makes no sense because they don’t know their arse from their elbow and they sent it out on a 15ft trailer but they know there’s a 14ft bridge down the road and blah blah blah blah blah”.

To say nothing of achieving the realistic definition of a rest which in my books would be firmly of the horizontal across the bunk variant,especially following a long-haul to those wretched places where further torture pans out curtesy of uncomfortable chairs,moronic daytime tv and all the rest.Simply uncoupling the unit,handing in keys etc isn’t exactly asking much in the grand scheme of things given the benefits of being well rested.
Terrible on the boxes with 4 and 5 hour tips a feature .I couldn’t go through that purgatory again.

manalishi:

ezydriver:

stu675:

To say nothing of achieving the realistic definition of a rest which in my books would be firmly of the horizontal across the bunk variant,especially following a long-haul to those wretched places where further torture pans out curtesy of uncomfortable chairs,moronic daytime tv and all the rest.Simply uncoupling the unit,handing in keys etc isn’t exactly asking much in the grand scheme of things given the benefits of being well rested.
Terrible on the boxes with 4 and 5 hour tips a feature .I couldn’t go through that purgatory again.

Before covid we had drivers with continuous running battles with management. They’d not put their tachos on break when tipping, and would pull up the road and have 45 afterwards. The drivers said they felt more rested driving than sitting in the waiting rooms! The management’s stock response to that was “why? You’re not doing anything. you’re just sitting there”.

robroy:
Yeh, but I like to choose who I spend time with when I’m out of the cab, and not have to be subjected to continual bouts of verbal b/s and drivercrap giving me gbh on the ear holes,…even though I try and show I ain’t listening,
And sat beside somebody who hasn’t showered for a fortnight into the bargain…no ta.

I don’t do RDC type work, but I must admit that I am not a hermit and would sooner become one than be subjected to that type of driver.

stu675:

If it was only for 30 mins or so, maybe not the end of the world. But we can be talking 2-3hrs in these places.

I sat in the waiting room at Purfleet on Tues for 90 mins waiting for a bay to come available, i endured multiple drivers with their phone on loud watching videos in multiple languages, mixed with Greatest Hits radio in the background, plus the usual gobby drivers spouting the usual rubbish, I had a numb arse from the uncomfortable seat and was generally hacked off. If I’d have gone back in there after getting a bay, I’d have had it for another 2 hrs.

Meanwhile back in the cab, I’ve got a comfortable bed, all my creature comforts, all my food & drink and peace & quiet.

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:

I don’t do RDC type work, but I must admit that I am not a hermit and would sooner become one than be subjected to that type of driver.

I only do it occasionally (Thank Christ) either on a Sat on a return load, or first job on a Wed before I pick up my Cornwall trailer.
UK general haulage just bores the arse of me these days, if I did not have my own little niche number,.which is next best thing since doing the Continent…iand similar in the sense I’m left to my own devices with no hassle for a few days,.I don’t think I could do it full time…especially RD ■■■■ Cs.

robroy:
I only do it occasionally (Thank Christ) either on a Sat on a return load, or first job on a Wed before I pick up my Cornwall trailer.
UK general haulage just bores the arse of me these days, if I did not have my own little niche number,.which is next best thing since doing the Continent…iand similar in the sense I’m left to my own devices with no hassle for a few days,.I don’t think I could do it full time…especially RD [zb] Cs.

I chose this job because I was left alone to my own devices and given my delivery notes on a monday morning and returned home on a Friiday, any problems and Iusually sorted it myself. Soon as planners were introduced and micro managed inc cameras, time to hang up my keys and back to tug driving on the docks. Once again left alone to discharge and load container ships in a team where we all know what we are doing with no interaction or interference. 4 days or nights per week and that does me fine.

stu675:

Thanks for all the replies [emoji3] I appreciate it.

It does make me laugh , all these drivers moaning about sitting in the waiting rooms ( prisons apparently ) , moaning they have to listen to other drivers apparently moaning , makes me wonder who are the actual moaners

Waiting rooms back at Brakes Tamworth and Reading. Not been yet so it’ll be fun when I do :smiley: Obviously Covid has gone(due to war) I will ask to see the risk assessment, etc…

biggriffin:
Waiting rooms back at Brakes Tamworth and Reading. Not been yet so it’ll be fun when I do :smiley: Obviously Covid has gone(due to war) I will ask to see the risk assessment, etc…

Not that I condone…

Waiting rooms (I prefer the comfort, peace and sanity of my sleeper cab) but, outside drivers tipping at Brakes Grantham had to stand by the trailer whilst it’s being tipped. A portacabin has to be the better option right?

Amazon Ridgmont is back to waiting room.
Masks to be worn in the yard. :unamused:
Nhs Bridgewater is portacabin.

I’m soooo glad that I don’t do general anymore. :laughing: