Waiting for truck - Other Work, POA or Break/Rest?

Hi,

Newish driver and never had to sit and wait for a truck before. So when I get given the keys is this a manual entry for POA, Rest/Break or Other Work?

I haven’t been given an expected time for when it’ll be ready.

Just trying to keep myself right in my new job.

Cheers

Martyn.

oops :unamused:
V

nick2008:
Personally I would do manual entry
15 min work
then ? POA
then ? work from when your given the keys, The reason I would POA is purely to extend my 6hr wtd, remember that if you put it on break the only thing it will extend is your wtd as you have NOT done any driving .(so will NOT count as any of your 1st period of 45 )… up to you on your decision really.

are you on agency or employed ?
do they pay all breaks, just not the first 45 min, or don’t pay any breaks ?
do they pay POA ?

Employed and they only dock 45mins per shift, other than that they pay per hour and any other breaks are paid as far as I’m aware.

MrMartyn1984:
Employed and they only dock 45mins per shift, other than that they pay per hour and any other breaks are paid as far as I’m aware.

Use break in that case

As I understand it, you can only use POA if you know the exact time of your POA in advance. ie TM says “wait 2 hours for this that or the other” then you can POA. If he says “I’m not sure how long it will be maybe an hour maybe 3 hours” then you shouldn’t use POA. Just stick it on break anyway, POA is a waste of time.

Ched:
As I understand it, you can only use POA if you know the exact time of your POA in advance incorrect. ie TM says “wait 2 hours for this that or the other” then you can POA. If he says “I’m not sure how long it will be maybe an hour maybe 3 hours” then you shouldn’t use POA incorrect a rough time has been given. Just stick it on break anyway, POA is a waste of time.

nick2008:

Ched:
As I understand it, you can only use POA if you know the exact time of your POA in advance incorrect. ie TM says “wait 2 hours for this that or the other” then you can POA. If he says “I’m not sure how long it will be maybe an hour maybe 3 hours” then you shouldn’t use POA incorrect a rough time has been given. Just stick it on break anyway, POA is a waste of time.

Just what they told me on a recent CPC course.

Ched:

nick2008:

Ched:

Just what they told me on a recent CPC course.

so the Boss says your truck / load wont be ready for 2 hrs and it arrives 1hr 35 mins your not gonna use it( the truck that is )
Have you read the document your self or are you taking the word of a and i’ll use the words lightly a fully trained trainer.
Nowhere in the regs does it state and your quote you can only use POA if you know the exact time of your POA in advance
you may also use POA even if NO-ONE has told you about the pending delay… :open_mouth: or did they not tell you that

Ok OK I retract my previous comments as I never use POA. But I stick to my guns that it is a worthless mode and you may as well just use break instead. Or do some drivers get paid for being on POA but not get paid for being on break? I’ve seen POA referred to as the “loophole” mode before.

Ched:
Ok OK I retract my previous comments as I never use POA. But I stick to my guns that it is a worthless mode and you may as well just use break instead. Or do some drivers get paid for being on POA but not get paid for being on break? I’ve seen POA referred to as the “loophole” mode before.

when I worked for the brown and yellow crew of Gregory’s in Bristol we got paid POA but banked OVERTIME :unamused:
Break is all well and good but as I have always said it can ■■■■ up your driving hours making you have a break where you don’t really want one :unamused:

When it first came in I remember being told you should be given a length of time before you can use POA. As in " your trailer won’t be ready for 2 hours" then you can use POA. Obviously if it’s ready earlier you can go to work, you have never had to wait until the given time is up. As for me I just use what suits, I’ve never worked for a company that takes money off for POA, but others have taken 45mins for break.