Waiting at the Telex for the War to start!

HI All
Do any of you old boys recognise any of this mottley crew ■■

Sorry GS,the faces are not clear enough to ID.
The Astran motors are obvious but not sure about the others.

Which truck is yours GS?..seem to remember a post on the old sites which mentioned about a group of english guys stuck in kuwait after the war, may have been you, think they mentioned a chap known as Roger Rabbit!!..im sure one of the “wizards” on here could find it!! :wink:

Good pics though, keep em coming.

bullitt.

all i can ■■■ is hell of a picture!!

bullitt:
Which truck is yours GS?..seem to remember a post on the old sites which mentioned about a group of english guys stuck in kuwait after the war, may have been you, think they mentioned a chap known as Roger Rabbit!!..im sure one of the “wizards” on here could find it!! :wink:

Good pics though, keep em coming.

bullitt.

And as if by magic…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … 38&start=0

1st page, 4th post down.

Cheers, bullitt.

Thanks Bullitt and Bestbooties.
The guys in the picture are Alfie Foulks, Mike Walker and Nick King, with Bob Poggiani behind the open door of his Scammell, and me behind the camera, taking the photo.
We were all pulling for Astran and my truck is the 141.
I have posted some more pics in the Photos forum if anyone is interested.
GS OVERLAND

This was the queue in southern Turkey to get into Iraq.Two days queuing like this was normal,dozing over the steering wheel so you moved up with the queue,or you got jumped.
The Astran motor in front of me here is Big Rick Ellis in his 142.Because I had a kitchen,fridge,TV and shower on my 142 he used to accuse me of being a “poser!” As if!

Ahh…Telex machines and waiting for a Telex . :smiley: Who holds the record,I waited 2 days once, Novaro. :laughing:

Spent many happy hours/days in the Harem Hotel and Londra Mocamp waiting for backload instructions by telex.

What and Rick wasnt a poser, with all that blond hair!! The Arabs loved Rick, he could speak very good Arabic, which speaking from experience could make some situations just go away!! Inshallah. or make you stay until tomorrow or after tomorrow, Bukhra Inshallah, oh no!!!, not Bad Bukhra Inshallah…
That was a popular saying at Saudi borders wasnt it…
Heres another one at Habur Border, I was coming home thankfully.
[/img]

And this one is headbanging time at Habur,

I used to feel like that some times, and I know loads of my colleagues felt the same. Battling to squeeze through the arches, It used to cost a fortune in mirror glass didn,t it. I used to carry spares under my bunk.

Heres one at Kaf, I got stopped just before Haditha, after taking this and some other pics, and the one eyed Saudi policeman demanded the film from the camera. I gave him a blank film that I happened to have, and he made me follow him to the police station at Haditha border, where they promptly arrested me and my truck.

Demanding to know why I was taking photos in The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, I explained in Arabic that I was taking photos to bring back to England so that I could educate my children about Arabia. They accepted my explanation but kept the (empty) film and let me go. I had to chuckle as I drove out into no-mans land, and over to the Jordanian side.
All in a days work.
Who remembers when they used to smash your spotlights!!!if you had them

How did I get away with those roof spots??

Spotlights,oh yeah!
You could be driving down the tapline and there would be a sentry box miles from anywhere,and a rag’ead policeman would step out and wave you down with his lollipop stick,then proceed to walk arouind your truck.If you had spotlights,he would go to his sentry box and return with a small hammer,then smash your spotlights!“Spotlights not allowed in Saudi Arabia mister!”

Hi GS and Boots…interesting your comments on spotlights, check out this link…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … +cambridge

1st page of the post , 5th from bottom.

And on page 2, 2nd from bottom,

Nice looking outfit and it’s got the spots!!

Think your friendly little arab in the sentry box would need a step ladder for those though :laughing: :wink:

Keep posting the pics and the tales, its all intersting stuff.

Cheers, bullitt.