wagon and drag

Hi gents have been driving artics for quite a few years now 20+ Now my current firm also has wagons and drags, and they are pushing me to take out a wagon and drag “yes i know its a class 1” but my problem is I struggle with them dont like em, and dont feel too safe with em. So my question, is if I refuse to take one out am I being unreasonable and refusing a reasonable request? if push comes to shove will probably just hand in notice and be the 18th driver they have lost in a year (only 12 in fleet) lol bit of a turnover in staff
sensible replies only please

Tell your management that you want to go out with a competent driver for at least a half day so that you get to grips with the thing.

If you give it chance you will not want to see a artic ever again .

Are you a driver or drover, as Dan says you’ll love it, much better than an artic anyday.

We have one at ours…not much difference going forward over an artic, less out swing required (surprising how nice the trailer follows) but a proper pita when u have to back it in from a narrow road into a tight yard with limited room on every corner off the outfit in the dark, when it’s lashing down!

pssst, its not just class 1, I can drive one on my class 2 as I have the 102 restriction :wink:
Sorry, back on topic :blush:

Bit harsh to hand in your notice, couple of weeks on it and you might not want to go back to an artic. The only downside to an artic is needing more space to spin round.

I drove a wagon and drag for 5 years. They are ok once you get used to them. One thing worth mentioning is they are usually longer than antics, but as others have said the trailer follows better, a bit harder to reverse, again you get used to it.
One thing I would say is the turning circle is HUGE :laughing: you can’t just spin them on a sixpence like you can with an artic.

They are pretty safe out on the road though.

Give it a go.

reminds me of a driver that wouldn’t do central London :unamused: … Get on with it lad, at least its a change to the norm, you might even end up enjoying it :open_mouth: :laughing:

maga:
reminds me of a driver that wouldn’t do central London

Most drivers won’t, yet 99% of them have never done it.

I was in stitches when i was talking to a random driver who had been told by a shred-it guy that they get 20 parking tickets a day up there. I successfully managed just 5 in nearly 2yrs going there 5 days a week.

You’ll be fine, give it a go :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

only sensible thing is ask for upgrade training
just say H&S issue

is it a demount system or A frame
you’ll need serious training if it is

ancientone:
Hi gents have been driving artics for quite a few years now 20+

■■■■■■■■.

20+ years experience and a) never driven a dragon and wag, and b) scared to drive a dragon and wag?

I smell bull[zb].

It always amazes me that company s assume that because you have a class one licence you can drive any vehicle.
its a bit like calling a builder to fix your roof, then saying can you fix my boiler while your here!

firms dont understand that you have spent many years driving an artic and you now feel comfortable with that type of wagon.
you should tell them that you have no objection to driving the wagon and drag, but as you have never been in one, or its been a long time since you were last in that type of vehicle, you would appreciate some training by someone who knows what they are doing.
after all, its their vehicle that you would be damaging should you make an error due to your inability.

as stated, with practice they are easy enough to drive once you get used to them.

Dan Punchard:
If you give it chance you will not want to see a artic ever again .

I would agree.

TruckOff:
It always amazes me that company s assume that because you have a class one licence you can drive any vehicle.
its a bit like calling a builder to fix your roof, then saying can you fix my boiler while your here!

■■■■■■■■.

Using your analogy, it’s a bit like calling a builder to fix your roof… but with slightly different tiles. :unamused:

hitch:
only sensible thing is ask for upgrade training
just say H&S issue

is it a demount system or A frame
you’ll need serious training if it is

The question is either close coupled or A frame.

If it’s the usual close coupled type it’s just like an artic but just bends in a different place.But it’s also the worst of all worlds situation of something that behaves similar to an artic but with rigid steering lock and axle weight issues whereby weight on the trailer affects axle weights on the prime mover to a large degree.

Whereas A frames handle ( much ) better and don’t have any axle weight issues between prime mover and trailer.But just need some practice to reverse.

Is it an a frame trailer, or a rigid trailer?

Rigid trailer is much like an artic, with only the hinging point more to the middle, but the same reversing technic as an artic.

An a frame is different, and some training would be good. As for a frame demounts, good luck with that…

Beaten by a glacial mobile signal…