Wagon and drag with 32 tonner?

Hey all bit of a random one I’m bound to get some weird replies but oh well. I’ve driven wagon and drags with 6 wheelers pulling a tri axle trailer and it makes sence and seems like the norm. But I’ve recently been talking to a company that has an opening on an 8 wheel scania pulling a tri axle trailer it doesn’t sit right in my head? Surely it makes it less manouverable and more awkward with figuring out distributing the weight what are the benefits of this set up? Train weight still can’t go over 44 tonne Opinions? Thanks :slight_smile:

It’s for the weight in the ‘prime mover’ obviously.

Common on containers where a 20’ container can weigh 22-23t - not going on a 6 legger.

you’ll find muck away 8 legger with a tri ax trailer carrying a scraper nothing wrong with it I bet the 8 legger will have twin steer any way.
as for weights it’ll be harder to overload your axels

Couple of companies around the south of England run 8 wheelers on bulk work, delivering sewage cake to farms. When the last load is tipped, they hitch on a tri-axle beavertail, load up the excavator and move it to the next field, wherever that may be.

Ahh the majority of the work on that truck is concrete floor beams but the company does have a utilities contract I believe. Those generators can get heavy I bet, makes sence now. Does it affect how manouverable the whole thing is in tight spaces? I imagine there can’t be much of a difference with a 6 wheeler on ththe front?

Yeah it’ll affect the manoeuvrability a bit, 8 leggers have a steering lock like the QE2, even with twin steer. But, wag and drag aren’t the most manoeuvrable anyway, so if it’ll go in, it’ll go in, if it won’t, it won’t.

Sounds like fun on a tight roundabout!
Talking about 8 wheelers,Wrecker driver pulled one of our trucks in the other night,said he was sorry that it took so long but he had been recovering an 8 wheeler that had slid into a ditch.
Long story short as he pulled the wagon out the ditch (14 plate MAN) the driver said "look no damage my boss will be pleased!!!

Then he tried to start it and it wont go engine seized solid.
Silly bugger had left the engine running to keep the cab warm while he waited for the wrecker.As the truck was at 45 degrees all the oil had been missing the oil pump pick up!
Bet his boss was impressed with that!

The principles are the same, but as said previously, the lock on an 8 wheeler is somewhat naff in comparison.

We have 4 W&D’s with another one on they way. Only 1 is a 6 wheeler. Mine is the oldest, 4 series 8 legged. You get used to it. I rarely drive the 6 wheeler but when I do, I always find myself ‘over-manoeuvring’ it. I prefer the 8’s, but that’s probably because I drive one.

A few pics of some of ours.

Mine.

6 wheeler

One of the other 8’s.

Yogi_93:
Ahh the majority of the work on that truck is concrete floor beams but the company does have a utilities contract I believe. Those generators can get heavy I bet, makes sence now. Does it affect how manouverable the whole thing is in tight spaces? I imagine there can’t be much of a difference with a 6 wheeler on ththe front?

Wouldn’t happen to be JW Morley would it?

P222:
The principles are the same, but as said previously, the lock on an 8 wheeler is somewhat naff in comparison.

We have 4 W&D’s with another one on they way. Only 1 is a 6 wheeler. Mine is the oldest, 4 series 8 legged. You get used to it. I rarely drive the 6 wheeler but when I do, I always find myself ‘over-manoeuvring’ it. I prefer the 8’s, but that’s probably because I drive one.

A few pics of some of ours.
Mine.
6 wheeler
One of the other 8’s.

Off topic, but has the Chinese 6 gone? Haven’t seen it about for a long time. Always wondered what it’s use was rather than a standard 6 wheeler

Yogi_93:
Hey all bit of a random one I’m bound to get some weird replies but oh well. I’ve driven wagon and drags with 6 wheelers pulling a tri axle trailer and it makes sence and seems like the norm. But I’ve recently been talking to a company that has an opening on an 8 wheel scania pulling a tri axle trailer it doesn’t sit right in my head? Surely it makes it less manouverable and more awkward with figuring out distributing the weight what are the benefits of this set up? Train weight still can’t go over 44 tonne Opinions? Thanks :slight_smile:

The company have that set-up for a reason. They’re presumably asking for a driver and not for a consultant to review their whole set-up.

Bking:
Sounds like fun on a tight roundabout!
Talking about 8 wheelers,Wrecker driver pulled one of our trucks in the other night,said he was sorry that it took so long but he had been recovering an 8 wheeler that had slid into a ditch.
Long story short as he pulled the wagon out the ditch (14 plate MAN) the driver said "look no damage my boss will be pleased!!!

Then he tried to start it and it wont go engine seized solid.
Silly bugger had left the engine running to keep the cab warm while he waited for the wrecker.As the truck was at 45 degrees all the oil had been missing the oil pump pick up!
Bet his boss was impressed with that!

Hmm, best to learn that from someone else’s mistake, rather than your own…

waynedl:
Yeah it’ll affect the manoeuvrability a bit, 8 leggers have a steering lock like the QE2, even with twin steer. But, wag and drag aren’t the most manoeuvrable anyway, so if it’ll go in, it’ll go in, if it won’t, it won’t.

Weirdly, I’ve found the opposite tbh… regularly drive an 8 wheeler with twin steer on the front axles plus steering on the rear (tag) axle. I find it easier to manouver into tight spots than any of our 6 wheelers. It’s bigger/longer/heavier, etc… but other than that, it’s still a ■■■■ sight easier to drive IMO.

Yogi_93:

Jeez, 7 axles at 44 tonne??

You’d want at least £15/hour to pull that… :unamused: :grimacing: