Wagon and drag weight

Hello all, I drive a wagon and drag now and again, the truck is a 26 tonner and the drag is plated at 18 tons, combined I know this adds up to 44 ton but the drag is only 2 axles. Because the whole outfit together is only 5 axles does this meen it can run at 44 ton because I thought 5 axles were only 40 ton?

Scouse67:
Hello all, I drive a wagon and drag now and again, the truck is a 26 tonner and the drag is plated at 18 tons, combined I know this adds up to 44 ton but the drag is only 2 axles. Because the whole outfit together is only 5 axles does this meen it can run at 44 ton because I thought 5 axles were only 40 ton?

Yup 44 is ok cos that is what is plated BUT … what is the GTW on the lorry plate? … if 44 then still ok

Ialways thought that you needed 6 axles to run at 44 tons and 5 axles for 40 tons yes the drawing unit needs a train weight of 44 tons but you still need 6 axles for 44 tons gross weight

ianto, i thought the same as you, 5 axles 40, ton 6 axles 44ton. Will check on the GTW when i drive it next.

Scouse67:

The maximum gross weight for a 5 axle wag n drag is 40 tonnes, you need 6 axles to reach 44 tonnes.

tachograph:

Scouse67:

The maximum gross weight for a 5 axle wag n drag is 40 tonnes, you need 6 axles to reach 44 tonnes.

Is there a law which over-rides the total MAM limits ?

A simplified guide to lorry types and weights

tachograph:
A simplified guide to lorry types and weights

THANK YOU

It seems that a UK law over-rides the legal MAM weights - is it a road tax thing?

Do any other countries have the same law ?

a 2+3 artic is 42 tons if you add up the weight of the unit and the trailer, still only 40 tons total allowed.