Wagon and drag advice

Bit of a complicated one, looking to buy a special made w and d, however it needs to take 18 tons on the wagon and have the ability to take similar on the trailer (not at the same time) we are looking at tri axel unit and trailer, but also looking at 4 axel set ups on the unit, I know I can only have 6 axels rolling without it being STGO however if I have a 4 axel unit and 3 axel trailer with 1 of the 4 being a lift axel is this allowed??
Clear as mud eh!!

Doubt it, at those weights I’d imagine the truck would drop the axle plus they would see it as having the ability to be dropped etc

MysonVinnie:
I know I can only have 6 axels rolling without it being STGO

Are you sure about that? I’ve seen loads of 4 axle hookloaders on the road with triaxle trailers on the back of them and I don’t recall them having STGO plates.

Paul

Paul, it was my understanding that the total weight runs on the total number of axles. I think a call to visa may be in order

You can run at 44 tonnes with a 6-axle roadtrain, in what way would you need to exceed this?

I’m almost certain you can legally have a 4 axle rigid plated at 32t MGW and 44t GTW pulling a tri axle trailer plated at 24t MGW and be perfectly legal without STGO coming into it. With that setup you should be able to carry at least 18t (probably nearer 20t) on either wagon or drag (but as you say obviously not at the same time).

Paul

Harry Monk:
You can run at 44 tonnes with a 6-axle roadtrain, in what way would you need to exceed this?

With a 3 axle rigid and a 3 axle trailer you wouldn’t be able to carry 18t on the wagon (although you would on the drag) and being able to carry 18t on either one is one of the OPs requirements.

Paul

MysonVinnie:
Paul, it was my understanding that the total weight runs on the total number of axles. I think a call to visa may be in order

So you have made your mind up already, and are just looking for the finance?

I would go for 6x2 prime and probably a 3 axle A frame drawbar but forget 36 tonne payload on both

MysonVinnie:
Bit of a complicated one, looking to buy a special made w and d, however it needs to take 18 tons on the wagon and have the ability to take similar on the trailer (not at the same time) we are looking at tri axel unit and trailer, but also looking at 4 axel set ups on the unit, I know I can only have 6 axels rolling without it being STGO however if I have a 4 axel unit and 3 axel trailer with 1 of the 4 being a lift axel is this allowed??
Clear as mud eh!!

No, I think that’s your only alternative.
Four axles on the towing vehicle (MGW 32 tonnes or maybe 30 tonnes with a single wheel lifting tag axle) will give you the 18 tonne payload and three on the trailer (MGW 24 tonnes and one lifting axle) will allow 18 tonnes on that too.
Obviously not at the same time, but as you say,you don’t need that.
I know of no rule that states that a drawbar combination cannot have seven axles, all the rules relate to the minimum number.
You are limited to a 44 tonne train weight in any case.
Although the combination will be unusual, neither the prime mover or trailer alone will be out of the ordinary.

Regards,
Nick.

This kind of thing…

Regards,
Nick.

I dont see the Problem with 8 axles,but you have to keep weight o Axle in mind,and :slight_smile: to use Steered Axles to go around Corners
zuckerfabrik24.de/fiat/fiat690_1.htm
hansebubeforum.de/showtopic. … eadid=9179

repton:

Harry Monk:

With a 3 axle rigid and a 3 axle trailer you wouldn’t be able to carry 18t on the wagon (although you would on the drag) and being able to carry 18t on either one is one of the OPs requirements.

Paul

indeed, the most you could carry on a three axle rigid would be around the 16 tonne mark

We run w&d at 44t we carry about 26.5t , I think there is no limit on axles you can have but obviously more axles the less load you can carry. We have fh 12 low roof on 3 axles with rear being a lift axle, the trl is a tri axle,also with a front lift axle, the body is lightweight, you have to make big compromises between strength and weight.
There are loads of permutations to a W&D setup, speak to the builder he will be able to advise you alot more then me.