Wages

blue estate:

hamletbarnard:
Up north the wages are terrible, currently on agency making around £9-10/hr, went for an interview for a full timejob on Class 1, £8.10 an hour… Walked out of interview!

Better off literally stacking shelves!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: I’m on more class 2

I’m also on more Class 2.Proper OT rates,Mon to Fri days,no handball …and all this up north [emoji2]

Albert1:
i run my own business.

I’m confused, as you said the rate of £12.50 was PAYE? :confused:

If it is £12.50 an hour PAYE that’s a good rate, but often you need to look deeper into the T&C’s to see the real picture…
Is there also an overtime rate or is that flat rate for all hours?
What’s the weekend rate if you’re expected to work that?

Then there are the jobs that have low hourly rates that try to make up for it with bonuses, some in an effort to avoid tax. :unamused:
Things like meal allowance, attendance allowance, damage bonus, unsociable hours, etc.

Basically you can’t come on and state an hourly rate of a job without giving all the details…

It’s far better to say something like: I’ve worked 6 days this week on PAYE totaling 61.5 hours and grossed £784 for my efforts without working unsociable hours or doing a night out.

I run my own business(My own business no wages) - im doing hgv for my own business reasons …but i need a cash injection as my current build is at £25k ! It is not a daily payed kind of thing like you lads.No disrespect .
Tbf i wish i had not posted .so many ■■■■■■■■ knowalls in one place :laughing:
As if im gonna give you the companies name before i turn a key ,Theres probably a few ■■■ holes on here who’d be straight there offering to do it cheaper .

A business without an income is a hobby mate! :wink:
I’ll take it that your rate is £12.50 flat all the way then…
I’m not having a pop mate, we just need to ensure that Newbies on this forum looking to enter the industry, see the whole picture, and not just the odd bit of info that can be unrepresentative of the whole story…
And from what I’ve seen £8-£9 PAYE up North is the norm, while you can can get a bit more down here in the sunny South.

Evil8Beezle:
I’m not having a pop mate, we just need to ensure that Newbies on this forum looking to enter the industry, see the whole picture, and not just the odd bit of info that can be unrepresentative of the whole story…

…and there are plenty of us Newbies lurking on here doing exactly that, so it’s much appreciated.

Blue Blood:

Evil8Beezle:

…and there are plenty of us Newbies lurking on here doing exactly that, so it’s much appreciated.

Well as I’ve learnt the haulage game is a bit of a strange one when it comes to its wage structure/setup, and what can initially look quite good at first glance, can sometimes end up being a bit crap. For example, you’ll see some ■■■■ poor overtime rates in this game where it’s one £1 an hour :unamused:, and then jobs where overtime is only paid on a weekly or monthly basis. So they will hammer you at the start of the week or month and then strangely have nothing for you at the end. :imp:

In my current job, my hourly rate is lower than Albert’s, but I bet my overtime rate is better (time and a half) and I get that after 8 hours each day. Yet there are plently of jobs out there where you might get time and a third, but it only kicks in after 10 hours…

The moral of the ramble :wink: is to look at the overall package and not just the highlights! :smiley:

Albert1:
Midlands is rammed with jobs .ignore agencies go to the companies .as for age having nothing to do with it.yeah fair enough .but i see myself as a better driver than a 20 year old testosterone rager :laughing: :sunglasses:

Here in Midlands mainly big nationalwide companies.And they use agency drivers long time and to many and no interes to taked more full time drivers often.

Hmmm we have a new employer starting on Monday is that when u start? I’m also 12.50 an hour, going to £17 when going over 40 hours a week. See ya on Monday [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeakFreak81:

blue estate:

hamletbarnard:
Up north the wages are terrible, currently on agency making around £9-10/hr, went for an interview for a full timejob on Class 1, £8.10 an hour… Walked out of interview!

Better off literally stacking shelves!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: I’m on more class 2

I’m also on more Class 2.Proper OT rates,Mon to Fri days,no handball …and all this up north [emoji2]

But as we know it can be as low as £8.00 ph some pay £70.0 per day ( yep that is bad one of the lower end ) some pay a decent wage

But then Albert1 I must be a better driver than you as older by your reckoning in your 1st post on here past my car & bike test in 1980 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t really believe the tone of this thread for a number of reasons. Firstly, surely what someone earns is their business and theirs alone? There’s often little extras that an employer will pay for (ability to service their own truck, IT knowledge, route experience, impeccable record, ADR, FLT etc etc) and it’s up to every driver to negotiate their own deal. Then, provided that the driver and employer are happy with what is being paid and what is expected, job’s a good’n.

Secondly, why the comparisons up and down the country? Everyone knows that all wages are a little greater south of Watford. Strange how no-one mentions the extra cost of living which often outweighs the apparent extra pay.

Thirdly, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like folks slagging off others just because they don’t agree with them. I thought it was called manners - but maybe I need to come kicking and screaming out of the 1950’s when we were taught to respect others.

IMO this thread has run it’s course.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry Pete .
Whats the availability on class 1 training pete ?I think i will have the dosh to pay on thursday .im up thursday through saturday getting the cpc finished to get this job started .but in all honesty i want class 1 as soon as possible .I will message you later unless you can let me know thanks .
Im buying a 7.5 t recovery truck to transport cars about .this job is suitable as the hours are good to work around my business .As and when i need it…
I should have given more details in the first post .But wages do seem to attract arguement .
I can charge between £25-45 an hour for my chosen skills.but im getting bored of chasing people for cash .I prefere to do my trade diferently
I buy restore and sell classic cars .1 maybe 2 a year .i also wheel and deal parts .its a dirty job .but i love it .Driving regular will secure a mortgage and some time away from the stresses of it .
Peace out chaps .

Albert1:
Sorry Pete .
Whats the availability on class 1 training pete ?I think i will have the dosh to pay on thursday .im up thursday through saturday getting the cpc finished to get this job started .but in all honesty i want class 1 as soon as possible .I will message you later unless you can let me know thanks .
Im buying a 7.5 t recovery truck to transport cars about .this job is suitable as the hours are good to work around my business .As and when i need it…
I should have given more details in the first post .But wages do seem to attract arguement .
I can charge between £25-45 an hour for my chosen skills.but im getting bored of chasing people for cash .I prefere to do my trade diferently
I buy restore and sell classic cars .1 maybe 2 a year .i also wheel and deal parts .its a dirty job .but i love it .Driving regular will secure a mortgage and some time away from the stresses of it .
Peace out chaps .

Thanks for that make more sense but there was no need for some of the comments made by all

Yes wages do tend to cause an argument this is why I never discuss on a public forum but mine is not all about wages it is the whole package being able to have a work / life balance

Pal i would rather earn £10 an hour driving than £14 fabricating and welding for a factory boss.So for a few hours a week ile happily except a happy medium .
I was just kind of annoyed by the agencies rates .lets face it,If your employed through agency ,That agency does not pay your insurance the company does.so it is a very grey area discussing wages .
And i think Pete is correct .this thread can now be closed to avoid further conflict .
I requested that just after it went south .

Peter Smythe:
…maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like folks slagging off others just because they don’t agree with them. I thought it was called manners - but maybe I need to come kicking and screaming out of the 1950’s when we were taught to respect others.Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I thought slagging off others and the OP was compulsory on TruckNet? :wink: :laughing:

Hey animal. Go and punch Albert on the kneecaps. Being nasty and then calling you “pal”[WINKING FACE]

I’m in Midlands. Lots of big companies seem to use agency. I did apply to DPD as a new driver for a role they advertised.

Ended up taking job on nights. 47.5h per week it’s £9.80 and hour them £80 a week bonus on top. So £545 a week.

As a new driver I just wanted the experience. My jobs easy mind I don’t do anything physical other then open and close my curtains at pallet force. I’m also driving drag and wag in between the hours I have to wait for pallet force. All good experience for me. Sure I could go elsewhere but this is Mon night to sat morning and really easy. I’m content for now but might throw in an extra day over weekend for an agency or company that wants someone on a sat/sun night.

happysack:
Hey animal. Go and punch Albert on the kneecaps. Being nasty and then calling you “pal”[WINKING FACE]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but you know me I just might & know he wouldn’t hit me back :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi guys, new member to the forum.

I’ve been following some post on here for a while now as I’ve been toying with the idea of taking class 2 training and hopefully eventually on to class 1.

I’m just wondering how location specific wages generally are? I’ve been doing a fair bit of snooping on Indeed and a couple of other job websites at class 1 and class 2 jobs. It seems that class 2 days PAYE varies between 9 - 11 ph and class 1 days PAYE between 10 - 12.75 ph.Is it just wages around here are slightly higher than others or is there some way that the agencies have you over on these rates, because I would be a little disappointed to take the plunge into changing career only to find the wages aren’t what I thought.

Thanks in advance.

Chris. :smiley:

Well i popped into see the CONtract
I know these people and his son is on here .i wont name them .they wanted me to do £12ph self employed not PAYE .also the overtime is £12 not as said .and the guy who left was maxing his hours out ,He now works on the farm i work from !
Yesterday i was told of a wastes skip job ,but not taking that with what happened the other day .
So i went to Ahp agency after being offered £11-12 pH job ,through email .got there and got told for experience you will get 7.5t work ?been there done it for the council .crap money !do all agencies lie to get you signed up ?It was a job on indeed ,then i got hammered with emails from agencies .
Its all good fun but these people are like sharks
Funnily enough so am i !
Best get back to restoring cars for a few months then lie to them as they do us .

Chrisbeech87:
Hi guys, new member to the forum.

I’ve been following some post on here for a while now as I’ve been toying with the idea of taking class 2 training and hopefully eventually on to class 1.

I’m just wondering how location specific wages generally are? I’ve been doing a fair bit of snooping on Indeed and a couple of other job websites at class 1 and class 2 jobs. It seems that class 2 days PAYE varies between 9 - 11 ph and class 1 days PAYE between 10 - 12.75 ph.Is it just wages around here are slightly higher than others or is there some way that the agencies have you over on these rates, because I would be a little disappointed to take the plunge into changing career only to find the wages aren’t what I thought.

Thanks in advance.

Chris. :smiley:

Welcome pal! :smiley:

You forgot to say where you are, as that would help us guide you on what the rates of that area might be… :wink:

As you can see from this thread, and Alberts recent experience, it can be a bit of nightmare getting the truth, especially from an agency! :imp:
So the best plan is to go and speak to some potential employers near you and get if from the horses mouth