Wages falling Southampton

Hi, Muggins here :laughing:

Well maybe but I’m a new class 1 pass & Freightroute have given me a job, £11.34ph £14.47 o/t & after 3 months with ADR training £12.11 & £15.46 o/t. This isn’t too much different to my previous wage at Bluestar bus which is probably the best payed bus company in the south coast.

I could earn higher rates on agency working all kinds of shifts etc but that’s not what I want. I won’t have to work weekends & bank holidays anymore, Mon-Fri ONLY, no nights out, no passengers who’ll threaten to stab me or spit in my face, I can cycle to work which equates to around an extra £0.59ph. Yes I may well be working a 60hr week but the lesser hour ones 9/10 times involve weekends on rotating shifts.

So for me this is a stepping stone & getting the ADR chucked in I see as an advantage (maybe i’ll go on the tankers one day?). Maybe then I’m part of the problem? DHL & Evri have a slightly better rate but I wont get my ADR with either & I’ll have travelling expenses at Evri plus they both work weekends. So I have to weigh up the pro’s and cons & the lower rate wins…at least for me it does.

I wouldn’t worry about it mate. Far too many drivers beak their nose into what others are doing, earning etc. All stuff that has precisely nothing to with them so just ignore it.

You have a path you want to and you’ve found a way to start it that suits you. That’s all you have to worry about, how it affects you.

In this time of a Cost of living crisis, it’s so easy to go for the higher money . Passed my Class 1 8 weeks ago and could have gone straight into Arctic’s on the higher money and longer hours. But was offered Class 2 position, to get my foot in the door until Class 1 seat becomes available with a respected local company . I’m not getting any younger so are looking at this as long a long term plan.
It’s not always about the the BIG BUCKS…

cossack100:
In this time of a Cost of living crisis, it’s so easy to go for the higher money . Passed my Class 1 8 weeks ago and could have gone straight into Arctic’s on the higher money and longer hours. But was offered Class 2 position, to get my foot in the door until Class 1 seat becomes available with a respected local company . I’m not getting any younger so are looking at this as long a long term plan.
It’s not always about the the BIG BUCKS…

If this well respected company is yellow and has 2 sites in Fair oak and Nurseling and you’re at Fairoak god help you :wink:

Going well so far…

I forgot to add the £3k bonus to my wage each year.

cossack100:
Going well so far…

Just ask your codrivers how long they’ve been working there and only a handful have been there more than 2 years ,
Was a great company at Fair oak up till March last year when it was sold
Hey ho that’s in the past
But don’t believe all the office tells you

Well this is depressing! I live in the middle of the middle of nowhere in Wales, and when I applied for my licence upgrade in October 2021, there was quite a lot of local work.
Licence took 5 months to arrive, long wait for training, but passed class 1 in August '22.

How things have changed in that 9 months.
One company has merged 2 sites into one and moved further away, and the rest aren’t taking on new class 1 drivers.
Local council are so short of class 2 bin lorry drivers that some collections have been missed, but they’re paying £11.64 per hour.
And what I’m being told reflects what’s been said here; now there’s a glut of new passes and the economy is going ■■■■-up, companies can pick and choose.

Mini-rant incoming, bear with me…
I can stack shelves at Waitrose for £11/hour; after all that class 1 investment in training, then driving on extremely tight, steep and often icy rural roads, I get an extra 64p/hour.

I was earning £15/hour in 2002 just for clerical work with free canteen and other perks.
Then why not go back to your chair then, office boy?” - well, the world has changed, and so has my life.

I hate office politics, but I also don’t like the isolation of running a business from home. I’m a good driver - I passed car, then bus, now class 1, all first time. I’m 51 and haven’t had an accident/any points for 30 years. But I did the whole “not asking for enough money and valuing myself” when I was self-employed. Not doing that again.

I’m under no illusion that the £70k salaries aren’t a reality, that the job is long and hard. But, getting back to the points made earlier in this thread, I feel I’d be letting myself and everyone else down if I just accepted the race to the bottom.

So, here’s my point/question:
I know it’s been said here “don’t do tramping until you’re familiar with the job”, but with no home ties now and some hefty debt, I’ll go where the money is as soon as I can.

In order to get the class 1 experience, and as I can’t move home, I’m considering taking 3-4 days a week in places like Newport/Swansea/Wrexham - these are all in a 2-3 hour radius of me, and I’d rather lose a little and stay in a £29 Travelodge, but average £14/hour with OT to start me off. I can even stay with a friend near Sheffield for a month from October. Then as soon as I can tramp, I’d happily drive 2.5 hours to start/end a 4/3 tramping shift or something like that.

You know what? I’d even take that £11.64/hour for a few months to get some class 1 experience and build a reputation. But there’s something psychological about having earned that class 1 skill, and then using it to drive a class 2 for pennies more than a shelf-stacker.

And yes, I CAN go back to using some of my self-employed skills and mix-in some weekend driving, but long term, I want to get away from what I’ve done for 20 years.

Does that make sense, or am I deluded / thinking about this all wrong?

hugh_lorry:
Well this is depressing! I live in the middle of the middle of nowhere in Wales, and when I applied for my licence upgrade in October 2021, there was quite a lot of local work.
Licence took 5 months to arrive, long wait for training, but passed class 1 in August '22.

One company has merged 2 sites into one and moved further away, and the rest aren’t taking on new class 1 drivers.
Local council are so short of class 2 bin lorry drivers that some collections have been missed, but they’re paying £11.64 per hour.
And what I’m being told reflects what’s been said here; now there’s a glut of new passes and the economy is going ■■■■-up, companies can pick and choose.

I can stack shelves at Waitrose for £11/hour; after all that class 1 investment in training, then driving on extremely tight, steep and often icy rural roads, I get an extra 64p/hour.

I was earning £15/hour in 2002 just for clerical work with free canteen and other perks.
Then why not go back to your chair then, office boy?” - well, the world has changed, and so has my life.

I hate office politics, but I also don’t like the isolation of running a business from home. I’m a good driver - I passed car, then bus, now class 1, all first time. I’m 51 and haven’t had an accident/any points for 30 years. But I did the whole “not asking for enough money and valuing myself” when I was self-employed. Not doing that again.

I’m under no illusion that the £70k salaries aren’t a reality, that the job is long and hard. But, getting back to the points made earlier in this thread, I feel I’d be letting myself and everyone else down if I just accepted the race to the bottom.

I know it’s been said here “don’t do tramping until you’re familiar with the job”, but with no home ties now and some hefty debt, I’ll go where the money is as soon as I can.

In order to get the class 1 experience, and as I can’t move home, I’m considering taking 3-4 days a week in places like Newport/Swansea/Wrexham - these are all in a 2-3 hour radius of me, and I’d rather lose a little and stay in a £29 Travelodge, but average £14/hour with OT to start me off. I can even stay with a friend near Sheffield for a month from October. Then as soon as I can tramp, I’d happily drive 2.5 hours to start/end a 4/3 tramping shift or something like that.

You know what? I’d even take that £11.64/hour for a few months to get some class 1 experience and build a reputation. But there’s something psychological about having earned that class 1 skill, and then using it to drive a class 2 for pennies more than a shelf-stacker.

And yes, I CAN go back to using some of my self-employed skills and mix-in some weekend driving, but long term, I want to get away from what I’ve done for 20 years.

S&K

I still see the bigger money asking for 1 year experience minimum. Even Tesco wants 1 year, that’s my local DC. I was sacked from there 20years ago as a warehouse OP for throwing a few mushrooms at another op. Gross misconduct.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
I was sacked from there 20years ago as a warehouse OP for throwing a few mushrooms

You sound like a fungi to be around :stuck_out_tongue:

:unamused: :unamused: :wink:

hugh_lorry:

I know it’s been said here don’t do tramping until you’re familiar with the job, but with no home ties now and some hefty debt, I’ll go where the money is as soon as I can.

Don’t take that as gospel.
I appreciate it is less likely people will immediately offer help to an older looking driver, but if you ask you will receive.
You clearly have intelligence, & like most things in life, it counts a lot in this industry too.

By staying on one vehicle you will pick up the feel & dimensions quicker as you won’t have the distraction of change.
You can spend your downtime learning about the job whilst having access to the vehicle - read the manual if it is in the locker!
You can spend more time planning your next day whilst over-nighting than you can when on day runs.
Don’t take an artic into an unknown yard before checking out the options to turn around/get out.

It won’t be easy and the learning will be intense, but that has its advantages.

hugh_lorry:

Why not look at the bin job as an extra 64p per hour PLUS some absolutely invaluable experience that you’ll not get elsewhere whilst you’re a new pass?

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
I still see the bigger money asking for 1 year experience minimum. Even Tesco wants 1 year, that’s my local DC. I was sacked from there 20years ago as a warehouse OP for throwing a few mushrooms at another op. Gross misconduct.

TOSCO @ Nursling will take anyone nowadays it’s easy to get in not like it used to be

ScaniaUltimate:
You can spend more time planning your next day whilst over-nighting than you can when on day runs.
Don’t take an artic into an unknown yard before checking out the options to turn around/get out.

Good advice, and exactly what I was thinking.

toonsy:
Why not look at the bin job as an extra 64p per hour PLUS some absolutely invaluable experience that you’ll not get elsewhere whilst you’re a new pass?

Well, that’s like a newly qualified plumber doing some labouring because it’s experience of a building site.
Driving a bespoke class 2 vehicle on local roads I’m familiar with isn’t going to progress me in the direction I want. I’d rather aim high and fail, than settle early and always wonder what if…

hugh_lorry:

?

This is and always will be the issue living in arguably the nicest (affordable) parts of the country, little in the way of well paid work.

I think you have to accept fewer jobs and slightly lower pay is part of the cost of living in such places, some find their way into well paid job and do what you are thinking of doing, ie commute once a week, this is obviously better if you tramp because your accommodation will not only be free but you’ll make a bit on it if you don’t mind self catering.

Sadly you are now licenced just as the crap is hitting the fan and we’re likely to be plunged into a recession to end them all with massive inflation plus rising energy costs with a country already indebted beyond belief, almost all caused by successive govts of all colours who went along with the bidding of whoever they sold themselves to, the timing for you ■■■■■ and many will be hit harder than you if they’ve endebted themselves up to the neck.

Many of us had to take whatever job we could to get a start, sometimes these are blessings in disguise (my first job was hard manual general haulage but the best paying haulier in the area as it turned out, no flash more cash), my gut feeling would be if you can afford to take the local job and see how things pan out at least until next spring, many in rural areas find that the lower wage if its local enough for minimal travelling costs ends up netting them the same or similar money after travelling and eating out etc are all factored in re higher paying jobs far away and they stay there indefinately, the other bonus is if there’s some overtime to be had then that 5 hours travelling to and from the tramping job can be 5 hours paid overtime instead, or as you appear to have other skills put them to use as a top up, plus the savings on car and travelling costs, costs which will only increase as the govt attempts to claw back some of the £billions the Johnson govt aided and abetted by am utterly useless opposition threw around like confetti during their ill fated lockdowns.

My views are tainted like anyone else’s, i detest tramping and sleeping in cabs and i loath RDCs with a vengeance, no pay check could tempt me to take a tramping job or one which included RDC deliveries but then i live in a good work area and can pick and choose not to, others are happy with that sort of work.

hugh_lorry:

ScaniaUltimate:

Good advice, and exactly what I was thinking.

toonsy:

Well, that’s like a newly qualified plumber doing some labouring because it’s experience of a building site.
Driving a bespoke class 2 vehicle on local roads I’m familiar with isn’t going to progress me in the direction I want. I’d rather aim high and fail, than settle early and always wonder what if…

Unfortunately in this industry there’s a lot of “experience required” unless it suits the industry to abandon that to tempt people into it and if you’re in a remote area such as you are options are limited.

Most of us started off doing a job that’s… sub optimal… because it was the only way to get on. Like as a new driver you’ll most likely get the most banged up truck in the yard until you show you’re not an absolute disaster. Remember you’re asking them to trust you with maybe £150k worth of kit, plus the worth of the goods, plus their reputation and name, with zero experience?

I’ve had my class one over twenty years now but went through a gap of a few years driving coaches and when I came back to HGV I had to go through that same process again :unamused: but I’m lucky to live in the “golden triangle” as its called where driving jobs are many and money is good for it due to competition.

A job on the bins with the council as a new pass you’ll learn far more vehicle awareness far quicker than many other roles. Also heading into what’s looking to be a fairly heavy recession people will still need bins emptying… Read the thread ‘are you still busy’ or something like that. I’ll edit a link in. But things are already slowing down in some areas at a time where things normally start ramping up ahead of Christmas.

Edit: link trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=173046

As it ever was and…

Always will be.

Location location location.

This is all sensible, honest and helpful. And thanks for not flaming me - I was expecting “bloody noobs, taking all the jobs from the old guard” (forgetting that everyone was a “noob” at one point!).
But you’re all lovely people. And thanks for the link to that other thread, Toonsy. Lots of thoughts there from people on the frontline, even if a bit depressing.

But I’m so unsure about what to do next.

A: Take the bin lorry job via an agency and hope that if a future class 1 job says “6 months LGV driving experience”, that they don’t ask which class it was!
Pros: Experience, and at least SOME income.
Cons: Bin lorries are rigid - no reversing experience.

B: Go back to doing what I hate and wanted to move away from, but being grateful that I DO have an alternative skill, even if work is rapidly dwindling there, too. Keep searching and do 1-2 days occasional class 1 driving work each week, even if poor pay, just to keep my hand in and hope things improve.

C: Sell the house, pay off the ex and my debts, take what remains of the capital and ■■■■■ it all on travelling as much of the world as I can, without a backup plan, on a assumption that we’re all gone to die either in civil unrest or via Putin.

The last option is a little nihilistic, but looking at that other thread, probably the most likely!
The sensible option is probably B, with A as a fallback.

The problem is, I don’t have the luxury of savings while I ponder. I’m 51 and everything went wrong a couple of years back, and I went from “had some savings” to “I owe £23k”, which is a real motivator.

Another thought: I could “identify” as experienced, even though I’m clearly not. Everything is trans- this or that these days.
I could self-identify as “trans-port” and then demand everyone respect my nonsense. It would be very 2022, after all.

The other thing is that I used to do voiceovers, training videos, and even a little standup and long time ago, and what the world REALLY needs right is yet another new pass starting a trucking vlog on Youtube and giving their opinion on the state of the industry and trying to be funny. Said no-one, ever.

(That said, I found some of them really useful to give a window into my potential future, like the SalmonSlap crew, and particularly Trucker Hayley.)

Anyway, enough waffle. Got a few more places to try in the morning… thanks for all the thoughts and listening to me braindump!