W & J Riding Ltd Longridge Preston

Great article MML and it demonstrated how far ahead Tommy was with regard to trying a different G/box for better gearing other than the, then, bog standard DB 6:600 but David Browns attempt to develop a range change box was an unmitigated failure as they couldn’t match the Eaton Fuller 610 or 609 boxes never mind the heavier 9509’s which appeared lated. The Fuller boxes were bomb proof and from a personal view point I ran an ERF “A” Series 180LXB with the Fuller 609 box ( 8 speed and crawler ) and it could out perform both the 6:600 boxes in the Seddon 32/4 's and also the Guy Big J’s with the 6 speed boxes. Oh! and as a matter of historical accuracy !! Tommy would return to Longridge on exactly the same route as he went North on as that time in 1967 the M6 still was only built as far as Carnforth. :wink: Regards Dennis.

DEANB:
Article featuring Tom from “The Atkinson magazine Spring 1967”.

Pic quality is poor.

Click on twice to read.

Interesting read Dean, it’s no wonder there was a queue for them

Interesting fuel mpg figures in the article considering it was over 50 years ago. Comparable modern day mpg results from my 26 vehicle fleet of 22 DAFs and 4 Mercs show that we cannot beat the Gardner of that era. Since early November my fleet mpg has been consistent at 9.4 to 9.5 mpg, except for the last two weeks when i got 9.8 and 9.9 mpg. I put the increase down to much less heavy traffic on the roads during the Christmas and New year period, so less congestion. Of course nowadays we’re running at higher gross weights than in 1967.

This tidy little unit 150LX/DB6:600/Kirkstall BDR regularly managed 9 mpg running at 32ton in both directions on our trunk operation.

W & J Riding driver Archie Ryan passed away on the 22nd of February after losing his battle with cancer.
Archie worked from out of Riding’s Wishaw depot in Scotland for my many years.
His funeral will take place on Tuesday the 3rd of March at 1pm at Daldowie crematorium in Glasgow.

gingerfold:
Interesting fuel mpg figures in the article considering it was over 50 years ago. Comparable modern day mpg results from my 26 vehicle fleet of 22 DAFs and 4 Mercs show that we cannot beat the Gardner of that era. Since early November my fleet mpg has been consistent at 9.4 to 9.5 mpg, except for the last two weeks when i got 9.8 and 9.9 mpg. I put the increase down to much less heavy traffic on the roads during the Christmas and New year period, so less congestion. Of course nowadays we’re running at higher gross weights than in 1967.

…at a higher average speed than 30mph (one would hope!). The frontal area of a box trailer is far greater than those Commercial Motor concrete flats, and I bet an Atki would kick any modern brick out of the wind tunnel*. Your results seem favourable, considering all that.

*I would love to see that- a comparative wind tunnel test, between a modern tractor unit, and an Atki. They would both be hooked up to a modern box van, and the '70s motor would be allowed a period wind deflector. Do it please, Commercial Motor. :smiley:

Interesting article in this weeks commercial motor by Bob Tuck on Tom Riding :smiley: Should be a very good read :smiley:

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble but these are not an actual paintings they are computer generated images on photoshop using parts of original photographs on the Riding’s website, one of many knocking about at the moment…

Article.

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks for posting Dean.

I cant believe it is almost a year since my friend Tom Riding passed away on Saturday the 6th of July 2019.

moomooland:
Thanks for posting Dean.

I cant believe it is almost a year since my friend Tom Riding passed away on Saturday the 6th of July 2019.

Yes its amazing how time clicks on by Paul.

Riding trailer on match box.

riding mat.PNG

I found this photo of a Riding Leyland Octopus 980 HTE on FB. I’ll credit it to Alan Bond who posted it.Photo was taken in Thirsk Market Place when wagons galore parked there to use the Central Cafe which I used myself before by-pass were built.
The second photo is off a Thirsk site I think.Looks very much like a Brunskill AEC MK5 Mandator on the left…
Aye,them were t’days. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Alan Bond probably got the picture off my Riding’s website as i have the original copy which i inherited from the late Tom Riding.

Chris Webb:
I found this photo of a Riding Leyland Octopus 980 HTE on FB. I’ll credit it to Alan Bond who posted it.Photo was taken in Thirsk Market Place when wagons galore parked there to use the Central Cafe which I used myself before by-pass were built.
The second photo is off a Thirsk site I think.Looks very much like a Brunskill AEC MK5 Mandator on the left…

That’s an interesting shot Chris as I notice that there is a “Summerlands” furniture van parked up in the foreground. Summerlands were a manufacturer who’s products were similar to G Plan and they were based along the A65 on the Summerlands estate south of Kendal. They finally closed down in the late 80’s IIRC and their site is now a trading estate housing a number of different units. The Summerlands firm was similar to Remploy and was connected ( IIRC) to a Liverpool Merchant Seamans charity and they had a housing estate nearby which is still there but all the properties are now privately owned. They did employ many local men from the area as well as the former Seamen and their delivery fleet Drivers were all local Lads who ran all over the UK delivering to many Furniture shops. I reckon that shot would have been late 50’s judging by the Bedford because I can only recall them running TK’s in the 60’s through to when they closed. Cheers Dennis.

Chris Webb:

Its strange you mention the Central cafe Thirsk as it must have been 1956 when I was either 8 or 9 having a trip to Hull with a Ford Thames 4D TPT918 which was having its first trip after being put on the road new. My dad & me were heading from Spennymoor via Darlington , Northallerton & I presume we must have pulled into Thirsk market place to have breakfast. I was quite excited because the Thames had joined our fleet of all petrol Bedfords and it was our first diesel. The first diesel I had ever ridden in & how it vibrated, making my nose itchy.
Just as dad stopped the van he had notices the Ministry of Transport Inspectors walking round the market place checking log sheets. Shoving some money in my hand he shouted me to hurry up into a shop that was open & get him a pen or a pencil. The only shop open was a fruit & vegetable shop & they looked at me as if I was crackers asking for a pen or pencil. As I turned back I saw a man standing questioning my dad at the cab window. Miraculously he was just told to get a pen & fill in his log sheet before pulling out of the Market Place. I suppose seeing the van from Spennymoor I suppose he realised by that time it would be unlikely he was over his hours.
Here is a snippet of a photo of that Thames which I managed to extract from a video as its the only photo I have so far come across .

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

That’s an interesting shot Chris as I notice that there is a “Summerlands” furniture van parked up in the foreground. Summerlands were a manufacturer who’s products were similar to G Plan and they were based along the A65 on the Summerlands estate south of Kendal. They finally closed down in the late 80’s IIRC and their site is now a trading estate housing a number of different units. The Summerlands firm was similar to Remploy and was connected ( IIRC) to a Liverpool Merchant Seamans charity and they had a housing estate nearby which is still there but all the properties are now privately owned. They did employ many local men from the area as well as the former Seamen and their delivery fleet Drivers were all local Lads who ran all over the UK delivering to many Furniture shops. I reckon that shot would have been late 50’s judging by the Bedford because I can only recall them running TK’s in the 60’s through to when they closed. Cheers Dennis.

I notice there is also back end of a DCL tanker - Distillers Company Ltd.,who were eventually taken over by BP.
Thirsk Market Place is still packed every day,but cars only,you wouldna get away with parking a wagon there now. Mind you,it doesn’t stop local farmers parking their huge tractors pulling God knows what ont back,and driver getting a sandwich or summat.There was one today pulling a 4-axled trailer with a JCB loaded on it. :smiley:
I remember seeing Summerlands Dennis.

Riding clipping from 1987.

riding 1987.PNG

riding 19871.PNG

Riding ERF. (NMP)

s-l160vb0.jpg